Worsley Dale Garden Railway

mick

On 08/03/2017 at 8:48 PM, Stese said:

Just finished going through this entire post... all 54 pages of it!

Worsley Dale is a fine achievement, and something to be very proud of...

I'm not sure if I should feel proud or whether I should apologise for having you endure 54 pages of my labours!

I'm sure you'll find that if you document construction of your own layout, either on this forum or elsewhere, it will give you something to look back on in the future - and you'll enjoy the journey. I'm well aware that among those 54 pages there's a lot of talk with little value but as a whole even I enjoy looking back over it from time to time. It's easy to forget how things have changed and just how much you've done even when you think you've made little progress. I'd certainly recommend keeping a record of what you've done.

It was a pleasure to go through and watch the development unfold.

You might want to think about writing up a booklet about the process you went through, with pictures etc. 

I'd also like to see more of the area as a whole, with trains running, now that the line has had some time to 'bed in'

Hi Mick and Stese, have to agree what Stese has said sure is a big achievement, you have done with Worsley Dale construction wise with those viaducts pure awesome and seeing the first train run around the whole layout with your hard work paying off well done, do you still have a lot more work to do in the train shed.

It is amazing your old layout still pops up on the net on video as well.in 00 scale garden railway.

I am going through the same stage too and good to go back to the beginning,still have a lot of work ahead but nearly there all the curved track decking has being cut out ready to be joined up and track laid and the bad bus wiring next job.

Tony from down under keeping on moving ahead

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure when I last ran anything on Worsley Dale but it must be several months ago. Anyway the warmer weather took me outside today and, having cleared away some overgrown lineside vegetation the day before, I decided to clean the rails and see what's left of the layout.

Getting a nice shine on the rail tops took longer than usual and I was just glad that my layout isn't too expansive and, for the most part, is only single tracked. I used an old paintbrush to clear away debris and crusted on bird droppings from between the sleepers. Then it was out with the track cleaner and IPA solution. My trusty class 26 made it half way round before coming to an abrupt halt at a spot where I have still to add bonding wires to 3 metres of track. I nipped up the metal fishplates with some pliers and we were moving again. I'll add bonding wires later.

Inside the shed the points were a little stubborn but eventually, after some toing and froing, it seemed they were working okay. I really wish I'd made notes of all the accessory decoder settings as I'd forgotten what numbers I'd allocated to which points. Some time later I had it all sorted and finally written down. My set up is certainly not of the sophisticated kind.

One of my outdoor points had seized up. This uses a car central locking motor and while it looked perfectly okay it just wouldn't budge, not even with some additional force. In the end I had to persuade it with a hammer (seriously!) and with a bit of a tap it was free and as smooth as before. I need to do something about the housing to try keep it better protected from the moisture below ground and to keep out the many woodlice, centipedes, and slugs that find a home within it.

So, finally up and running it was my intention to run one of my Dapol Black Label A4 class locomotives and take some video of it in action crossing the viaducts but I never managed to take any video. I was hoping to see a good display from the smoke generator but it wasn't overly impressive although I only used one of the two types of smoke oil that's included. Perhaps the other will be better. Sound wise I was very disappointed but this was straight from the box without reading the instructions so perhaps there's more experimenting to do.

I took a dozen or so photographs with my phone and this is perhaps the best of them all. 

large.bittern03a.jpg.6d23c5d4a6206624e3c7b011de51673a.jpg

I'm coming to the conclusion that there's only certain loco's that are suitable for use outdoors and Bittern isn't one of them, at least not on this showing. I think she's in need of a good running in as she's a little stiff and jerky, even on clean rails, and slow speed performance was very poor - it was a stall rather than a crawl. Maybe she'll be better indoors where the track is usually smoother and where there's no wind to disperse the smoke.

Hey Mick,

Just peered through what I've missed on your layout. It looks great. I won't show you the debris field that is my layout. ;) I did post some updates about my recent second hand consumerism on my thread.

Seems a shame about that Bittern not running right. Is it just not picking up electrical contact off the rails? Maybe it needs a running in on an oval of sectional track for a couple hours. I need to do that with some of my newer locos. Otherwise, maybe you could rig a coach to have extra pickup ups and just jumper the loco to the coach with alligator clips. Seems a real shame not to see that loco howling down the rails if you ask me. :)

The Forum looks great as always. As far as all the old photos are concerned, maybe you just don't update it. Not sure where you are on that, but it seems like a royal pain in the...

Anyway, It's taken me a bit to get on the new site, but I am still here. Even If I'm not building my own empire, I wiil still cheer on all the rest of the guys in their efforts.

To be honest, my life has just been consumed with a project I am working on. All I do is think about it. So train time is more of a couch day dream method these days. 

Griff

I'm sure Bittern just needs a good running-in period Griff but although that might cure running qualities it certainly won't make her sound any better. Perhaps it's just the outdoor environment that isn't suitable for the sound and smoke to be particularly effective - I'm sure it was never designed with outdoor operations in mind.

I also have 'MALLARD' in the same LNER blue livery so I'll see if I can give that one an outing next time to compare performances.

Anyway, it's good to hear from you again. I know how easy it is to become consumed with other projects and how that often leaves minimal time for railway modelling but everyone needs more than a single interest in life. I keep reaching a point where I can't think of any new interest that could possibly attract me but then before I know it I'm hooked on something else. I've just regained an interest in photography, something I've done on and off for the past 30-odd years so it's not entirely new but it's doubtless going to impact on my progress with Worsley Dale. 

Thanks Mick! 

Yeah, still working on a historical film the past 4 years or so. Hoping to be done with it in another year. 

I've been eyeing a small train set I have and thinking I may have to put the set track together on the dining table so I can get a little running session in. Sometimes you have to settle for what's easiest. :) 

• 10 months later...

It's good to see the temperature rising above zero degrees today after the short sharp blast from the east. I don't ever recall two degrees centigrade feeling quite so balmy but it's such a pleasant change from that bitingly cold wind.

A few days before the cold weather set in I checked up on Worsley Dale and yes, I'm pleased to announce it's still there, even if a little worse for wear.

viaduct01.thumb.jpg.1bef9de46e0a9ccc623764804d7b8e6f.jpg

Firstly, something easily remedied, is that a few of my wooden blocks have become detached from the viaduct side wall. It's no fault of the adhesive but simply that the wood has expanded and forced each of them off. Unless they shrink back on their own then I'll have to shave a bit off the sides before reattaching them.

My primary concern outside are the point motor housings which, although they stay surprisingly dry, attract a whole host of squatters. There must be a family of at least 30 woodlice in one of them. Do they still operate? Well I've yet to test them and it's probably been 12 months or so since they were last used but I 'm hopeful. I'm going to wait until it dries up a bit before powering up.

points20.thumb.jpg.1b7a66931851409f5e0d411958ffffc9.jpg

points21.thumb.jpg.8b42d5a0abccac6c213c31766805ed9b.jpg

Another thing I would like to mention is that just outside the shed I ballasted a short length of track over the smaller viaduct using an exterior grade varnish and it's been exposed to the elements for a year now with very little deterioration other than it turning slightly green. I might just try it again this year as I would like to see both my viaducts fully ballasted even if the remainder of the layout is left bare - and the green isn't that bad.

Glad to see you're looking at the railway again, Mick.  Hope it won't be long before you're mesmerised by a train running through the sprouting spring foliage once more - and that there'll be the odd photo arising.

Hi Mick agree glad to see Worsley Dale coming back, good close up pic of the car door locking motor ,I may just  have one working on the  furthest point away from the control panel.

Good that the weather is starting to warm up in the UK and Europe, cooling down in Down under, going for a weeks holiday down to the Gold Coast where the commonwealth games are to held for a week ,

they have trams, go on the first ride since the 60's in Brisbane had trams, pics to follow, a break from the house .

Keep the pics flowing, Thomas be interested in those pics...

Tony from sunny down under keeping on moving ahead.

4 minutes ago, aussietmrail said:

(..)

Keep the pics flowing, Thomas be interested in those pics...

Hi Mick, hi Tony!

That's right, Mick's layout offers me many suggestions and solutions.

The pictures show that he uses at least exactly the same central locking motors as I have them.

And I think if he can tell me a successful survival, I will use the same digital decoder for the switches as he.

If something has worked out you should not experiment.

Thomas from now rainy Germany.

Hi Mick and Thomas, you are dead right about not experimenting, I have wasted that much ply trying out new ideas in the construction of building the modules and  timer for the legs, wasted half a sheet of ply

You have to go back to the thread IanR started on points outdoors page 2  will give you all the answers .

WE are down the Gold Coast now staying in a unit  three blocks away from the water, at least it is flat ,walking will go down tomorrow, bloody rat race wont live her eand going to be worse when the Commonwealth games are on in April.

Can't win, up north they are copping it pretty bad, Townsville  is cut off all around .

Tony from nice down under keeping on moving a head.

• 3 months later...

It's taken me far longer than anticipated but I have just managed to spend a couple of days on the layout.

I can't remember how long it's been since it was last powered up but you can imagine how relieved I was to discover that the months of neglect hadn't taken too heavy a toll. However, the first job that required my attention was a short section of parapet wall on Stack Gill viaduct which had succumbed at the hands of a young child. Luckily it was just the parapet wall but my garden was never designed or built as child friendly.

20180414_113321.thumb.jpg.b8e4c6fe5377ea0f459735375f81296b.jpg

I'd been putting it off for several weeks (the tulips hadn't yet flowered in the above photo) but the nice weather finally persuaded me that it was time to sort it out and while I was at it I reattached the sections of log roll that had come adrift along the base of the viaduct using some of that acclaimed 'Gorilla' adhesive. So with the parapet wall duly repaired the route was finally clear and it was time to bring out the trains.

Now it's been six years since Worsley Dale was started, although the final section from Stack Gill viaduct along the bottom of the garden to the shed is more recent, but there were still a number of track joins that I hadn't bonded and they were playing up so before going any further it was out with the soldering iron. Now with a fully bonded circle of track surely we can get something running?

I'd been looking forward to seeing the Scottish coaches out together so chose a suitable loco to get things started in the form of 37025 'Inverness TMD'. This is fitted with a 'Legomanbiffo' class 37/0 sound chip and really sounds the part. In fact I couldn't put it down and found myself using hardly anything else all day. I'll add a few photos from a selection just added to my photo gallery.

DSCN0672.thumb.jpg.6f2a4e5e8203eb04b0e2d72256d913c8.jpg

37025 INVERNESS TMD rounds Low Shott Flatts hauling a rake of six green and cream West Highland Line MK1 coaches on its approach to Shieling Bridge station.

DSCN0682.thumb.jpg.bd5df9d82302f8c6f01bde7afc31c813.jpg

A little further on and 37025 is seen crossing Low Shott viaduct as it slows to enter Shieling Bridge station.

DSCN0745.thumb.jpg.bc33f4a612a5b1878ec96de2a0bb08f6.jpg

Crossing Low Shott viaduct in the opposite direction, having just departed Shieling Bridge station, 37025 is seen here hauling a rake of 6 Kyle line coaches

DSCN0768.thumb.jpg.085ee87a566b57d9ded6290f302f9a47.jpg

37025 on its approach to Stack Gill viaduct.

DSCN0697.thumb.jpg.d778340ea938726287fd3aced50801a7.jpg

37025 appearing somewhat insignificant as it nears the end of the imposing Stack Gill viaduct.

You'll notice that only the main part of the layout has been used over the past two days and that I wasn't running into Cattle Leys terminus or using the passing loop. The reason was that I just wanted to get something running and not spend the whole time trying to get things fully operational.

It all looks great in the sunshine but there is going to be a need for some repair work on Worsley Dale in the very near future. The section between the two viaducts is causing me some problems with track alignment although I'm not sure whether it's the plywood base or simply the roofing felt that's rippled. I really would like to replace the plywood base with something solid and weatherproof. It could be done a little at a time if I need to keep things running. I'll keep you posted.

• Like 2

Hi Mick, glad to see you back and Worsley Dale back up and running again, will have to agree with roddy that viaduct is pure awesome especially to see a train on the viaduct .

I fell a little better now when you said Worsley Dale started construction  6 years back, I have being at Camdale  for over 4 years, getting very close to  finishing the smaller decking  construction of my layout, some time this year, had a sad set back last year.

Thomas uses Tyro  foam or  WPC for decking on his layout, might be a way to go, I am glad I turned to a module garden railway instead of a permanent railway, with wood not fairing too well with humidity heat and rain.

Tony  from very cold down under.

Another short running session today but not before I'd managed to cross off another couple of items from the 'to do' list.

Firstly the point forming the connection to Cattle Leys terminus. The point itself, operated by a car central locking motor, is a Peco live frog type under DCC control but I hadn't installed any form of frog power feed switching. I had toyed with the idea of using either a microswitch or a 'frog juicer' as I had done with the 2 other outside points. The frog juicer worked out rather expensive, especially since I have already had 2 failures which admittedly are likely to have been my own fault as they were left outdoors over winter! I then noticed that Gaugemaster had started selling their own Autofrog modules and at a very reasonable price meaning I could obtain 3 Gaugemaster Autofrog's for the price of a single 'frog juicer'. So about 12 months ago I purchased three and today I finally got round to installing one.

20180623_164819.thumb.jpg.daf4060d6d197d45e9f8872c0fbc77d7.jpg

20180623_164911.thumb.jpg.2068a8261ecebe7e34c4c920cf73b23d.jpg

The above photo's were taken after I had installed my first module, hence the reason there are only two left in the packet. The bottom photo shows each side of the module, the rear comprising three solder pads to which you solder your track feeds (top left and right) and frog supply (bottom centre).

I had read elsewhere that the wire carrying your live frog feed should be as short as possible which would mean having to locate the module outdoors adjacent to the point, something I was keen to avoid if at all possible. I decided to try it with the module inside the shed and wires approximately 8 feet in length extending outdoors. It seems to work just fine. I can't fault it and the module is better protected under cover of the shed.

I had a sticky solenoid point motor inside the shed and discovered I had installed it at a slight angle to the tie bar so managed to realign that and it now works much smoother and more reliably.

Watching trains circulating is very enjoyable and the little Heljan blue class 26 seems like it could go on and on forever. It runs faultlessly whereas most of the others like to have a little stutter now and again which can sometimes become rather frustrating. However, I do find operating the layout much less appealing. Most of the time it is done completely oblivious as to what is actually happening outside the shed because once trains pass through the entrance/exit holes they are out of sight unless you actually walk around following them. Fortunately the wireless handset allows me to do that when I need to keep a close eye on one of them. Remote camera's and track circuits are out of the question I'm afraid.

Anyway, here's just a couple of photos from today.

DSCN0829.thumb.jpg.af2852d69f7f18638b439f6913e39ea5.jpg

37408 'Loch Rannoch' heads towards Watch House tunnel having just passed beneath Trundles bridge with the West Highland line set.

This is the location where the track bed is in a sorry state although it's still good enough for running trains. I'm not sure why there's so many missing sleepers. I do like the lineside areas here with the rotting logs and decaying vegetation beneath the other greenery. It's how I always wanted the layout to appear.

Below is a favourite spot for photos as it's easy to access and not too bad on the old knees. Loch Rannoch again this time passing over Low Shott viaduct

DSCN0842.thumb.jpg.c2f0a85ea91491c9d657ac6a15e5d73b.jpg

• Like 1

Hello Mick!

I can only agree with Andrew, wonderful pictures that encourage one to continue to build!

This with the Gaugemaster frog juicer is very interesting.
Do you think the frog juicers killed the cold or the damp in winter?
I've also installed one outside, he is protected against moisture as far as possible and "insulated" to the sides and the top with 5cm Styrofoam, but ...

Regards

Thomas

Edited by ThomasI