Worsley Dale Garden Railway

mick

I'm delighted you've been able to endure it for so long Roddy :D

Cab views do offer an altogether different perspective of your layout and it's great to be able to see it from that viewpoint. On the ground level sections especially, it's almost impossible to get down to track level without the aid of a camera but it's almost like another layout entirely when viewed back later. When I sit outside watching a train circle round it seems to take ages to complete one circuit but it appears to go by much quicker on the video, though in reality it's very much the same.

There's still a lot of work to be done and a lot of kinks to iron out now that I know where they are but it's all part of the enjoyment.

Okay. If you haven't already had enough running round the Worsley Dale layout then perhaps this one will finish you off. As promised it's an anti-clockwise trip this time behind Bachmann class 24 D5038 which is fitted with Howes sound and, not that you'd notice, in BR Green livery. As a bonus this time you're treated to two full laps because the battery on my wireless handset ran dry just as the train entered the shed after it's first circuit and it continued on its way out the other end, so I thought what the heck, have another lap.

• Like 1

Both videos are absolutely inspirational. From the cab, I prefer the double track views although the shots in the earlier videos, of the train crossing the viaduct, are just as interesting. The long curved platforms in the station also look good.

Hi Mick, I will have agree with Riddles , pure awesome with the cab rides, sound is so clear as well, I will have do the same with my layout first run, I like the first cab ride.

Have to pull the three sections of spiral with the rain coming in today, they say we are going to cop 300mm's tomorrow, good time to finish off soldering in the bus wires.

Keep the good work up Mick, be interesting what you have planned with the back of the layout.

Tony from down under.

Very enjoyable videos Mick. It's a great achievement to complete the loop and leave trains to run, even if it is because the controller has run out of juice.

Have you thought about creating a U shaped baseboard in the shed?

medium

Joining up the two boards at the far end of the shed and running a chord between the two sides would add operational interest. It would also mean that you had a railway you could run within the shed as an end to end.

I'm toying with this kind of idea for Amblethorpe.

chris said:

...Have you thought about creating a U shaped baseboard in the shed?....Joining up the two boards at the far end of the shed and running a chord between the two sides would add operational interest. It would also mean that you had a railway you could run within the shed as an end to end...

It's not something I had thought about Chris but the required radius of the curve would rule it out for me anyway. I've tried all along to keep curves as large as possible but had to compromise slightly to the rear of the shed.

What I have considered is adding weather protection covers immediately beyond the access holes at the rear of the shed to enable simple shunting movements between the two stations when I just want a play, but that would of course then make nonsense of my scenario that each station is at the extremities of the railway. I thought that perhaps during winter months when there's little chance of running the full length of the layout that the coaches could perhaps make way for a few wagons but I'll think about that when the time arrives.

aussietmrail said:

...be interesting what you have planned with the back of the layout...

Not that much actually Tony, at least not at this time. I have to decide exactly where to add the point/junction so that I can run into the opposite side of the shed and that's the only work I'll be doing in that area until other work is completed. I can add it close to the shed (the easy option & fits in with above idea) keeping a single line all the way round to the viaduct, or add it closer to the viaduct retaining double track round to the shed. I'm undecided, but aware that I can always change my mind later without too much trouble.

I'll refrain from doing any further cab rides for a while in order to get some work done on the layout. The next time we get in the front cab will be once the terminus station at CATTLE LEYS is open to traffic.

I thought I might have been able to make enough progress in order to be running trains into the new station this weekend but if I'm honest, it's not going to happen. There's too many things I need and I hadn't realised how close we were to the weekend. I've ordered a few things but I expect it will be next week before they arrive now. I've secured the baseboards and laid a layer of cork in readiness so I'll just have to see how far I can get.

I've settled for one main platform with run round and a bay platform and the platform will be done as before with Peco edging and plaster infill.

While I was waiting for a coat of varnish to dry (done before laying the cork underlay) I sanded down the parapet walls on Stack Gill viaduct to give a better view of the trains. I also tidied up some of the inside walls which I noticed on the videos looked a bit rough. It all needs hoovering clean before trains can run again.

One other thing I did today was a ballasting test using stone granite ballast and exterior yacht type varnish. It's dried a bit shiny so that it looks like it's been raining but will it work? Wait and see I guess.

Well I'm out in the shed looking at what I need to do. I've marked out where I need to cut the access hole so all I need to do now is add in the short section of baseboard that's needed to bridge the gap between the plywood boards already in place and the access hole itself.

Here's a rough sketch (and I mean rough!) of what I'm planning and thinking. It's what I've been scribbling down while sitting out there - no fancy track planning software here I'm afraid.

cattleleyslayout.jpg.5ab7aeaabf1a7a891be2dbd1341f2e6a.jpg

It's going to be single track round to Stack Gill viaduct - I have decided! My reasons being that, although I like the look of double track, I can't really see me using a passing loop along the bottom of the garden that often and for me to feel it had been done correctly I would need to add a couple of crossovers to remove the necessity for bi-directional running.

Another reason I have decided not to go with a passing loop, and something that came to my attention last week, is that when trains are stood outside in the sunshine they do tend to get very warm, especially loco's with sound chips in them. Best not to leave them out there for too long.

So I've started amending the track layout with single track running in mind and this is where the point will be located to direct traffic between the two stations. The track isn't fastened down yet - don't worry about the wavy appearance.

bottomgarden31.thumb.jpg.f8ec417fca90a44ae4631d35cc64c68d.jpg

For the time being I've lost the ability to run trains around the whole layout, at least until I get that point wired with a feed to the toe end. I'd also overlooked the need for another accessory decoder to operate the motor so that will have to be ordered next week.

Now that I've finished the baseboards for the new station, added the cork underlay and opened up the access hole, we're not far off being able to get a train in here but I'll hold off laying track until I get some more points.

While there was still enough daylight to see what I was doing, I managed to pass the bus wires through the rear of the shed and down as far as the single point and also beneath the plywood baseboards for CATTLE LEYS terminus, which was a little bonus because I hadn't intended doing that today. Perhaps tomorrow I can get some power to the toe end of that point and use it an 'insulfrog' until the bits I've ordered arrive. Fortunately I haven't bonded the stock rails on the point yet so it's as purchased and should work with the point blades switching the frog feed.

Evening Mick, bugger this time difference, the heavy rain is all gone to a very windy morning, I will be staying indoors out of the wind will cause the neuralgia (TN) to play up, legs are affected as well.

Like you track plan of your terminus station Mick, mine is simular but has three tracks between the platforms for the loco to shunt around the train and hold a train as well, got enough passenger trains to fill the platform track, need more freight locos.

I would hate to think what would happen if I left one of my locos out in our summer sun, be all twisted out of shape, must stich an old shell out this summer to what will happen, w can get in the sun 50++, concrete you can fry an egg on it.

At least my station complex is in under the pergola away from the damaging summer sun, what does it get to in your summer.

Looking good Mick..

Tony from windy down under :cry::|

I've had a really enjoyable day with the layout today, in fact it's been one of the most enjoyable 'layout' days I can remember. Come the end of the day when I sat down to look over what I'd done, I had a feeling that the layout is finally becoming everything I've always hoped it would be.

My two previous cab ride videos highlighted areas of the layout that I felt needed attention. I wasn't too keen on the view over the large viaduct, made even worse by the fact that the track wasn't permanently fastened down. So I attempted to put things right. I had already started smoothing the inside parapet walls, especially the flat pieces which were not uniform in size, and sanded down the tops slightly to give a better view of crossing trains. Today I did my best to remove most of the kinks and leave a nice smooth curve while at the same time fastening the track in place. I soldered on a few more rail bonds and then gave it a good hoover to remove the dust and debris.

To the rear of the shed I added power feeds to the toe end of the point so that I had the continuous loop back in action and then sent the camera wagon round again. The view from the camera today is much better than the previous videos but I'm unable to upload anything at the moment so you'll have to wait a little while to see for yourself. The sunshine makes all the difference!

This is the camera I use for the cab rides, mounted on a Bachmann Limpit wagon and held in place with an elastic band. The wagon has had additional weight added beneath the piece of foam which helps it run better.

20160605_145319.jpg.ade7e207b27d2a768d796dfade7b8cfa.jpg

mick said:

This is the camera I use for the cab rides, mounted on a Bachmann Limpit wagon and held in place with an elastic band. The wagon has had additional weight added beneath the piece of foam which helps it run better.

Thanks for showing the cab ride view camera. A picture save a lot of words. The weather during the last few days has been very encouraging for garden railway work. It's a pity I've got so many other things to catch up on.

A full day working on the layout today but one of those days where there isn't a lot to show for the time I've put in. This is a job I had meant to do yesterday but for some reason I just hadn't felt like doing anything - so I left it for an early start this morning. Perhaps yesterday was just too warm and uncomfortable?

Anyway with the weather forecast not being good for the coming weekend I really wanted to get the outside point installed before continuing with further work inside the shed. I am using a car central locking motor as per my two previous outside points, operated via a Digitrax DS52 accessory decoder.

Here's an overview of the installation alongside the point that now connects to both sides of the shed.

indoorstation32.thumb.jpg.e1d69881119a17366030fbadab1eda12.jpg

I've drilled the brass disc to accept the central locking motor operating arm, which I have bent at 90 degrees. Disregard the hole you can see in the disc as that was my first attempt which I decided wasn't close enough to the disc edge and delivered just a bit too much throw. The operating linkage to the point tie bar is a section of rail onto which I have soldered an omega loop to absorb any additional movement. The following photo shows the omega loop more clearly.

indoorstation33.thumb.jpg.70d557b6018ec5ef42d50a29829d2836.jpg

As this installation isn't too far from the rear of the shed I have decided I can locate the accessory decoder inside the shed itself and run wires out to the motor. It works fine and provides a safer environment for the decoder.

The excess rail/rod will be removed once I'm satisfied everything is okay.

Once I'd programmed the decoder I decided to try it out and look what decided to pay me a visit...

indoorstation31.thumb.jpg.6551bdbb0939deae4f931230a1b03279.jpg

We're up and running!

Now I just need to construct a weather-proof housing for the outdoor motor and then I can concentrate on the indoor part.

As a result of the successful installation of my new outdoor point, here's 'yet another' cab ride but this time we travel out and back starting from Shilling Park station running, to the site of the new Cattle Leys station and then return. Bachmann class 24 D5038 in charge.

Looking at the video, I think it's about time I got all those missing sleepers replaced. It's now on my to do list.

Hi Mick love the latest video and the sound especially the clickity clack sound can you switch it off and on like the diesel horn, different sound to our diesel horn, Europe is the same as yous too

Could this idea work :idea: , I am looking into buying a set of four of those door locking motors with the remote switch and figure out what points I can switch in one touch, got two in mind better option than the Peko point motor price wise. Next job is how to work out what I can use that will switch signal lights at the same time.

What brand are those long points, I use the long Peko express points as much as I can looks good.

It's crazy over here cold morning to perfect days, we are peaking 29 degrees today was a warm night 13 degrees, where is winter, back to my layout construction this weekend.

Tony from down under

aussietmrail said:

Hi Mick love the latest video and the sound especially the clickity clack sound can you switch it off and on like the diesel horn....

That 'clickity clack' sound is actually the engine coasting Tony although I have to agree that it sounds very much like wheels over rail joints.

The points I use are Peco large radius - it's the minimum I would opt for. Not sure if that's the same as the ones you use. Did you mean Peco or Piko?

I'm not sure how you would install the door locking motors to work in conjunction with the remote switch. I've only just managed to get my head round installing single motors but would imagine, even if the remote wasn't suitable for your needs, that DCC accessory decoders would do almost everything you needed.

I don't know how some people manage to get so much done. I've been at it almost all afternoon and right up to 7pm this evening and I've got the platform line and the run round road laid in the new terminus station. Granted it's all been wired but there's still the bay platform to finish off and all the point motors to install. I did have an hour or so running trains round and into the new station, trying to get accustomed to everything, because I do need to remember to ensure that the points are laid correctly before setting a train in motion - perhaps I need some form of route indication, but I was hoping not to have to go to that extreme. Maybe in time it'll become second nature?

I'm pleased to say that the new point motor I installed yesterday works like a dream - the only problem being that at the moment I can't see it in order to check which way it's laid. Need to get those cameras sorted out I think because I don't want to start adding windows into the rear of the shed.

One thing I did remember to do today was to measure the length of the continuous loop and it comes in at 132 feet which if I remember correctly is not quite as long as my previous 'figure-of-eight' layout in Selby. 132 feet scales up to about 1.9 miles or so but I actually thought this layout had the edge on the old one - not so apparently. Now is there any way I could expand.......?

Hopefully I'l be able to get the bay platform finished tomorrow and then make a start on either the platform or the point motors. For the point motors I'll be using SEEP's as before but operated via a DCC Concepts ADS-8fx 8-way accessory decoder with CDU solenoid drive which seems to offer much better value than the simple frog-juicers I have used previously. This one seems to do the lot but I'll let you know how I get on with it.