Worsley Dale Garden Railway

mick

:oops: I still prefer it without a central support - I have in my mind a picture I saw in a book, years ago, with a blue class 26 or 27 in Northern Scotland, crossing a bridge like this and remember being surprised at the large void under the bridge.

ba14eagle said:

:oops: I still prefer it without a central support - I have in my mind a picture I saw in a book, years ago, with a blue class 26 or 27 in Northern Scotland, crossing a bridge like this and remember being surprised at the large void under the bridge.

What kind of bridge was that one Iain? I just have it in my mind that two individual girder bridges, like the ones I've used here, need a central support. I think they'd come crashing down without one. I've Googled images of girder bridges, and that's how I came up with the idea for using plastic downpipe as there are examples similar to that, but I can't recall seeing 2 or more arch girder bridges without a support between each bridge section. In order to have the large open void I assume I would need to have used one girder bridge to span the entire gap.

aussietmrail said:

...Wow the viaduct arches and top deck has turned out well, what's the plan for the garden will you be putting garden bark in, set the grey viaduct off nicely....

There is of course still plenty of landscaping to do once the track is finally laid. I would like to be able to model a valley bottom with a steam running beneath the bridges but I'm not sure just how far I can take that kind of modelling outdoors. Creating realistic water is easy enough on an indoor layout but outdoors real water is difficult to control and any artificial water effect would quickly become covered in dirt. I should perhaps get the track sorted first and return to this at a later date.

So with the bridges almost in position I decided to add the remaining pieces of side walls. These still need finishing off and sanding to match the rest. I was going to spray the pipe but it looks like I'll be needing another can of paint. It got a light misting. Once the landscaping is done the concrete footings will no longer be visible so that might make things look better.

newviaduct38.thumb.jpg.6c2d19d3a37151013f6b99b463e991a8.jpg

newviaduct39.thumb.jpg.bb41544cef88cd163a281c71ec77b128.jpg

Another gem of a viaduct. Well done Mick – it’s a delight to see. The physics of the bridge means that it definitely needs a support column – as it is two separate girder spans - in effect it is two bridges. Without a support, the joint between the two spans is trying to be a hinge and wants to fall in to the gap – in the real 1:1 scale world you would struggle to make the joint strong enough to resist the load and if you managed to do it - it would cost a 1000 times more than a column to build and would be a pig to maintain. I look forward to the inaugural crossing – it will need flags and bunting on the loco.

Like the others, I think the viaduct bridge looks great--------but odd. The round column just doesn't look right somehow, unless you can excuse it as a modern rebuild after a bombing raid. Try a square pillar from a piece of timber or plastic downpipe would be my suggestion.

I say leave it as is and move onto the next stage of mainline. You've got an oval to build MICK! Press on! :lol::lol::lol: he he he

There is also the issue of garden growth. You just won't know what it looks like till the plants have had a chance to grow up and around things. How about some pics of the back 40, I'm curious to see what else lies ahead. :)

I do worry about those bridges though. Our sun is really brutal on the harder plastics like what is used for building kits. I will have to show you some pictures of my dummy point motors; they are all curled and warped. Hopefully the lighter color of paint will reduce heat and UV damage.

Crikey! Didnt mean to spark off a major "support" debate :lol: Beats talking about the World Cup I suppose :oops:

Whatever you do Mick, I am very jealous of the 2 magnificent structures youve built and like everyone else, cant wait to see trains running over them.

Maybe the bridge I had seen had only 1 girder structure - it might have even been a box type construction.

Anyway, as Griff said, youve got up a good head of steam, crack on with the rest of the build Mick.

Oh, yes - water underneath the viaduct is a must, but creepers growing up it - especially the central support, would look odd :?

Mick all I can say is WOW, you are making me jealous with way you have come along with the building of the viaduct, that middle bridge pier looks fine and not out of place, agree what to everyone is saying move onto the next stage, can get bogged in on one project.

What a great idea to have stream with actual running water, be a lot of work but in the end worth it, and the sound of running water, perhaps with those nude figure scenes ha, ha only joking. :D:lol::mrgreen:

Griff, have you thought of looking into the cars auto locking motors as they are water proof, IanR recommends them he is using them on his layout, about 2.50 UK pounds $9 over here, you might be able to get it cheaper in America just two wires , IanR has a right up on Outdoor point motors on the forum. In Australia we have the same issue with the hot summers and I will be using those motors on the outside points.

Just won on UK eBay a Hornby a special addition duel tender Flying Scotsman and yes the water tender will be powered, looking forward to it arriving, the link is on my post.

Tony

How nice to see a debate in progress regarding the central pillar of my viaduct. Isn't it strange how we each appear to have differing views on what must amount to the smallest part of the whole project. As it stands I quite like the look of the pipe. In my view it gives it that heavy metallic feel but it's easy to replace in the future so I'll be moving on for now.

traingeekboy said:

....How about some pics of the back 40, I'm curious to see what else lies ahead...

Well this is what lies in wait....

newviaduct40.thumb.jpg.992499925b80c603da88e99831ec7947.jpg

I've already made a start clearing the way since that photo was taken yesterday afternoon and in addition I've started fixing down some narrow strips of roofing felt along the top of the viaduct and back round to the curve where I left off a few weeks/months back. We are getting there.

mick said:

How nice to see a debate in progress regarding the central pillar of my viaduct. Isn't it strange how we each appear to have differing views on what must amount to the smallest part of the whole project. As it stands I quite like the look of the pipe. In my view it gives it that heavy metallic feel but it's easy to replace in the future so I'll be moving on for now.

As is always said, it's your railway and if you are happy that's all that matters. Our differing views, at 12" to the foot scale, is what holds up all major projects. HS2 isn't finalised yet and already they are talking about HS3. No wonder everything takes so long.

I had hoped to get some track laid across the viaduct today but I never got that far. The strips of roofing felt have been fixed in place and a couple of lengths of track laid in position but that's as much as I've done. There's probably not much more than 6 or 7 lengths of track needed to complete the whole viaduct so I'll see if I can get that done tomorrow and get it connected up to the rest of the layout. Funny isn't it, even with just a couple of lengths of track laid down you seem to have to get a loco or coach out just to see what it looks like. I chose a coach and it does look okay but you'll have to wait to see that.

newviaduct41.thumb.jpg.608d5769f3bfe346d508c18b6c1b6f2b.jpg

Not yet tackled are the drainage holes through the top of the viaduct but I'll be doing those the same as with the previous viaduct by drilling through and upwards from the sides.

Mick it looks really good. I am looking forward to the day you surprise us with a full run video. :)

The new layout is much more interesting that the old. You've learned a lot since then it seems, and it's all being incorporated into this new railway. And there are those interior stations in the shed that should keep you busy for a long time as you add details. I'm really glad to see you back at it this summer.

I believe today has been one of my most productive days for some time. By other peoples standards I may not have done that much but I feel as if I've stepped over a previous boundary and moved onto another level.

newviaduct42.thumb.jpg.0347045b11ab02db29fb9e3a38db0e65.jpg

Firstly I began by connecting the last few bits of track I laid last year to the bus wires. 8 dropper wires were soldered to the tracks and connected up to the bus which completed the area from the tunnel to the new Y point where the double track section ends. I then connected some new bus wires to the existing ones in order to extend them round and onto the new viaduct.

I've fastened the new bus wires alongside the newly laid track on the approach to the viaduct and I'll disguise them a bit later. Real railways have wires/cables alongside the tracks too!

newviaduct43.thumb.jpg.2be92ca7fc4fe9bbe75fdf71888c170c.jpg

A quick run round with the track rubber on the outer track (on the double track section) and guess what.....?

....it all worked perfectly :D Not a hint of any sound drop from the sound-fitted Bachmann class 26 so the wiring must be okay.

newviaduct44.thumb.jpg.308f555fd34bd717bcb735bac184819a.jpg

I am now wired for through running from the shed as far as the girder bridges mid way along the new viaduct. I've now to decide whether to fasten the girder bridges permanently in place or spend a bit more time and make them removable before I can add the remaining track over the bridges.

Here's some more shots of the class 26 running facing road over the double tracked section back to the shed:

views002.thumb.jpg.9500bc3264db6762c45b285b671a4b02.jpg

views003.thumb.jpg.017c73f4bc268d170ecbb77390e46811.jpg

views001.thumb.jpg.ec9014fca9af609c2ace19a3b88417a4.jpg