Basic DCC question

doublecee

traingeekboy said:

You can run DCC locos on a DC layout and you can run DC locos on a DCC layout. :)

They were smart when they designed these systems, they didn't want someone buying a product that would not work.

On a DCC system use address 0 to run your analog locos.

Unless the decoder has been programmed to brake on DC or had DC operation disabled. This is not normally a problem with factory default decoders but a second hand DCC fitted loco may have had these set.

Not all DCC controllers have the facility to run a DC loco on address 0 for example the Fleischmann Twincenter.

Also while it is possible to run DCC locos on DCC it is not recommended as it has been known to damage the motors

My ESU Loksound decoders have a set up to enable DC on or off. I leave it at DC on as I find it is easier in cleaning loco wheels. I sometimes use a 9v battery to just move the wheels either forward or backward as it's an easy way to move them when cleaning with a cotton bud. The 9v battery also comes in handy when weathering a steam loco below the running plate.

I wouldn't try to run a non equipped decoder loco on a DCC layout for fear of frying the motor as your putting AC power into a DC motor.

Roy.

doublecee said:

I was under the assumption that you could not use DC locos on a DCC layout as the voltage is constant, with the carrier signal. So that would not enable control of the DC loco.

On DCC the voltage on the track (about 15 volts) is alternating but it's not true AC, it's more of a square wave than a sine wave. It does alternate around 0 volts (-15v to +15v). To operate a DC loco the controller adds a direct voltage, say +10v, on to the tracks so the alternating voltage is cycling between -5v and +25v. This allows you to control one DC loco and lots of DCC ones on your system.

The problem is that some DC motors don't like it when they are stationary and have an AC supply across them. The loco will shake as it tries to move forward and back 50 times a second and can cause the motor to burn out.

My NCE system doesn't allow DC running.

Running DC motors on the address code of zero on a DCC system (as I have done),has damaged about four or five motors. I am not sufficiently "programmed" myself to say why. I only know that I read about the joys of using address zero on my DCC system, and it was one of the reasons I went over to DCC. At the time, I thought a combination of fitted decoders and old stock awaiting upgrading would be ideal. However, I can say that two Lima Deltics, an 03 class (Mainline, I think) diesel and Hornby 25's have suffered by using this practice.

I am now back on analogue control (for differing reasons) and can state that one of the class 25's, reaches a crawl on full throttle (can't believe I've just reverted to Americanisms...sorry TGB !) as does one of the Deltics. The others are dead. I do think it has something to do with the DC locos standing on track without any movement and having a supply of electric constantly through them. I may be widely off track, but something made them suffer.

For full safety, (on DCC) I would withhold any DC locos until a decoder is fitted.

My theory is; for one to go wrong...maybe an accident. For five or so to go wrong...then something is definitely not working correctly.

I used the Lenz DCC unit when I was operating.