MAINLINE PEAK DIESEL

Rossi

Anyone remember the old MAINLINE peak diesel? I think it was from about the early eighties.

I came across my old one in a box last week and decided to try it out on the garden railway.

After stripping off the old Zero One chip (returning it to analogue) and placing it on the rails, the memories came flooding back about the problems with this loco. Mainly the wheels!

PIC_0089.JPG

PIC_0092.000.jpg

PIC_0088.JPG

Thanks Ian/TGB,

Re the sun;

I might be tempting fate, but maybe we've missed the downpour season as its now getting to the end of February. The sun is actually streaming through the curtains upstairs here and, as I've a spare hour or so, the temptation of a few train diagrams and an early glass of wine is pulling me out of doors.

• 10 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have a pile of the old Mainline / Bachmann / Replica Railways Peaks in my stash, all but one are suffering from the split gear issue. Does anyone know of anyone who makes replacement gears for them? I know someone does them for the Warship. I might contact them to see if they might be tempted...

It's not a problem I'm familiar with but having no Peak's in my collection that may be why!

In this day and age, and especially with a problem that appears to be so widespread, I would be surprised if there wasn't someone who made replacements.

6 hours ago, Clay Mills Junction said:

I've seen spares being sold on an exhibition stand. It's a trader that attends a lot of big exhibitions too.

If I see them again I'll find the name of the trader.

Hi, thanks I would appreciate that. I only got back into the hobby at the start of Covid and as a result I haven't yet ventured out into the big wild world to go to any exhibitions or the like - I've just been buying a mass of stuff on ebay!!!

I believe Romford used to do replacement sets, but they were very expensive and very sporadic. I seem to recall that they are not listed on their current website. I will email the guy on ebay selling the Warship one's later tonight and get back with a reply - if I get one.

I just looked the guy up on ebay selling the Warship ones and it has just started listing a Peak Intermediate gear! In my haste I bought one without checking that this is the one that also goes on the driving axle - I believe they duplicated the gears and just left the smaller gear unused on the axle. Either way I will let you know how I get on when it arrives.

Link to the gear : https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224838204665?hash=item345966bcf9:g:HAEAAOSwDDtiCj0x