Hornby Delivery Dates

chris

<t></t>  

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

My local model shop were expecting Scots Guardsman to be delivered form Hornby in July last year. My wife ordered it for me for my birthday. It's just arrived. If it had arrived yesterday then I could have received it as half-birthday pressent :!:

How come Hornby can get their delivery dates so wrong, so often.

My next purchase from Hornby will be their Northern Rail Pacer, it's due first quarter 2012, should I put it on my Birthday or Christmas list?

• 4 months later...

At Hornby magazine live I spoke with one of the top guys at Hornby. I quizzed him on delivery dates asking "where's my Northern Rail Pacer, it (Hornby.com) says 2nd quarter"

His response was "I think I said 1st quarter for that one"

After mentioning Scots Guardsman and the Grand Central debacle he admitted "we just guess"

Great stuff Hornby. May be its time you take back control of production rather than guessing when your suppliers may get round to making your products.

Most companies are like that even here in the US. I used to pay attention to new products listings; not much anymore.

Reminds of the vapor-ware we'd see in computer magazines back in the 90's. You'd see a product ad for months and often a competitor would release something from nowhere and the company would decide not to make their product.

• 1 month later...

In my original posting I said

My next purchase from Hornby will be their Northern Rail Pacer, it's due first quarter 2012, should I put it on my Birthday or Christmas list?

Well it wasn't out in time for my birthday...

What odds that they even have it this year?

Do you think it would be better if they gave no indication of a delivery date? Most of the major manufacturers appear to have the same problems regarding new releases. Aren't they all fighting for the same production spaces with the same factory in China or something? I've had one particular loco on order for well over a year now and during that time its price has risen by almost £70! The pre-order guarantee states that I get the model at the price it was when originally ordered so I've got my fingers crossed for when it does eventually come out.

Its a double edged sword isnt it.... When everything was coming out of Margate, deadlines were met, but the product was getting stale.

Now we have great product, but deadlines are missed or even dropped.

Personally, Id rather have the best of both worlds... .british made, to the same quality. But thats never going to happen now, unless you want to pay £300 a loco!

• 3 weeks later...

In my original posting I said

My next purchase from Hornby will be their Northern Rail Pacer' date=' it's due first quarter 2012, should I put it on my Birthday or Christmas list?[/quote']

Well it wasn't out in time for my birthday...

What odds that they even have it this year?

Rails have updated their web site to say that they are expecting delivery of the Northern Rail Pacer today. It can go on the Christmas list.

So if today equates to First Quater, when can I expect the Second Quater release of the Northern Belle?

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Rails have just announce the latest list of Hornby delays!

"

Good afternoon,

We’ve just had a message from Hornby informing us that the following products have been delayed until 2013 due to manufacturing delays. As you can see some items have provisional dates but these are likely to be revised at the beginning of next year.

R2921X BR 4-6-0 B17 'THORPE HALL' - TBC

R2922X BR 4-6-0 B17 'GRIMSBY TOWN' - Due January

R3020 LMS Fowler 2-6-4 - Due April

R3025 LNER J94 8009 - Due April

R3089X BR Thompson O1 DCC - Due January

R3099 Flying Scotsman LNER 2011 - Due June

R3103 BR Class A4 - Due June

R3105 GWR Castle "Wellington" - Due June

R3107 BR T9 30313 Lined Late Crest - TBC

R3115 West Country Unrebuilt "Exeter" - Due January

R3119 LMS Duchess Of Abercorn - Due April

R3123X CLASS 42XX DCC - Due January

R3124X CLASS 42XX DCC - Due January

R3125X CLASS 52XX DCC - Due January

R3126X CLASS 52XX DCC - Due January

R3127X CLASS 72XX DCC - Due January

R3128X CLASS 72XX DCC - Due January

R3129 SR Class M7 - Due April

R3133 East Coast Train Pack - Due June

R3134 Northern Belle Train Pack - Due June

R3135 Class 92 - Due June

R3136 Class 73 Network Rail - Due January

R3137 Class 73 Pullman - Due June

R3138 BR HST Western Region (Blue/Yellow) - Due May

R3143 Class 423 VEP - Due June

R3144 Class 31 - Due June

R3150 DB Schenker Class 60 - Due May

R3151X Class 08 DCC Fitted - Due June

R3153 Class 47 - Due May

R3154 BR Patriot - Due January

R3155 Class 9F - Due May

R3156 Class 08 - Due June

R4534A BR Push Pull Coach pack - Due June

R4537 SR Unconverted Open 3rd Class - Due June

R4538 BR Unconverted Open 2nd Class - Due June

R4539 Northern Belle Coach Packs - Due June

R4540 East Coast Coach 1st - Due May

R4541 East Coast Coach Std - Due May

R4542 East Coast Coach Buffet - Due May

R4547 GWR Autocoach - Due April

R4549 GWR Sub B Coach - Due May

R4549A GWR Sub B Coach - Due May

R4571 Network Rail Super GUV - Due April

R4572 LNER Thompson Non-Corridor Composite - Due June

R4573 LNER Thompson Non-Corridor Third - Due June

R4574 LNER Thompson Non-Corridor Brake Third - Due June

R6606 MGR Wagons X3 Old Style - TBC

All orders placed for these items by us will be retained by Hornby and reinstated next year.

Regards,

Owen

"

Joy, so there's a chance that the Northern Belle (originally Q2 2012) can go on my birthday list (Q3 2013). Should give me an inventive to finish my viaduct and loop.

When it comes to new product delivery dates I always wait for them to appear in the shops rather than relying on the manufactures release dates. The manufacturers shouldn't make promises that they may not be able to keep. Hornby can't predict what's going to happen in the future with regards to production at the factories and maybe they should wait until the production run of models is ready to leave China before announcing the release time. Some large retailers have the 42,52 and 72xx on their websites and they are taking money for them and they're know where in site. They may turn out to be duds so I prefer to wait (patience comes with age) and see what eventuates.

I also think that Hornby tries to release too much in any calender year which may explain why they have a HUGE backlog.

Roy.