Bachmann couplings

Rossi

Does anyone else suffer from lost couplings from Bachmann locos?

Its probably my fault, trying to run old out of gauge carriages, (which I know will give trouble...but such is nostalgia.) Any slight tug from the old stock or derailment (more often than not) and I find the Bachmann coupling has become detached. Its happened a few times, and so far I've been lucky enough to find it. But, I'm pretty sure that some time the coupling will disappear into some soil or crevice, never to be seen again.

What I need to know, is there an easy supply of these from Bachmann, or will Hattons of Liverpool do a spares service?

Just to add to this discussion:

Most of my stock has the euro style hook and loop, not sure what it's called. My British stuff has the latch that comes down. the little running I've done with my brit stuff it seems more prone to coming apart if anything is bent or poorly aligned.

So what are those two types of couplers called?

Is there a preferred coupler over those and why?

An N scale guy I know through trainboard.com has converted all his N scale British stuff to kadee style couplers. Although they look wrong they aren't any more wrong than the Huge ©Rapido N scale couplers.

traingeekboy said:

Just to add to this discussion:

Most of my stock has the euro style hook and loop, not sure what it's called. My British stuff has the latch that comes down. the little running I've done with my brit stuff it seems more prone to coming apart if anything is bent or poorly aligned.

So what are those two types of couplers called?

Is there a preferred coupler over those and why?

An N scale guy I know through trainboard.com has converted all his N scale British stuff to kadee style couplers. Although they look wrong they aren't any more wrong than the Huge ©Rapido N scale couplers.

They are called tension lock couplings and are a legacy from the old Triang days

Mk3coupling.jpg

The design has been modified slightly over the years

r8267.jpg

But its still basically the same design.

Im not keen on this style but its comes as standard on most UK outline stuff so most people just live with it

When I was doing German N I used these

http://products.eurorailhobbiesa.netdna-cdn.com/Fleischmann/t3_FL-6516.jpg

as I found them to be the most reliable

Most modern locos and stock now come with NEM pockets so its easy to change to something nicer