My first re-spray

chris

The Network Rail Class 31 is an excellent loco, but there isn't much RTR stock to go with it. I'll be putting in an order for the Model Rail gauging coach which is in the pipeline, but otherwise I'm on my own.

I've watched plenty of YouTube videos and got an idea of what I need and first up is a Mk2e in Network Rail yellow. Having very little experience of doing a re-spray I'm not keen on spending £20 on a perfect coach and then potentially making a mess of it so I've taking a different route. My very first train set was and Inter-City 125 which I received back in 1980, I still have it. The coaches are the wrong size, to make them pass round 1st Radius track Hornby made the Mk3 (23 meter) coaches the same length as their Mk2s (20 meter) with 7 windows rather than 8. They are wrong and they are an ideal candidate for a re-spray.

I don't have an air-brush so I'm working with a Humberol aerosol and it's coming along nicely. If I'm brave enough, I may even take photos.

Photos are always nice to see so that we can applause the effort that has been made, and you will of course improve with practice. Remember that the preperation is the most important part of any respray, and can make or break a paint job.

Ian

I may have to get some pictures of my first respray. It came out ok. Besides, the flaws are how you learn what not to do. Mine is an N scale Illinois Central Gulf GP38 freight engine that got a nice orange and white coat of spray paint from cans. I got a little bit of an orange peel texture because the spray was a little heavy. You don't notice it at correct viewing distance.

ICG9535.JPGICG9535.JPGhttp://www.yesteryeardepot.com/ICG9535.JPG' alt='URL>'>

I know in my case the particular paint scheme isn't popular with manufacturers, so although it is not perfect it's a one of a kind loco. I even researched it to find a specific unit #. Despite everything I have something no one else has. I look forward to seeing your results good and bad. :)