A note about the news from america

traingeekboy

I just want to let you know that it is highly advisable to ignore any news coverage of our presidential race. Reading about american politics will make you laugh and it will perplex you, it won't clarify anything at all. It will also waste time that could be better spent thinking about trains. Just ignore our little game. :)

• 2 weeks later...
cleanerg6e said:

The coverage it has received here is fornominal including all the debates. I wonder how many American networks covered the elections here in 2009 in detail. If I watch that sort of coverage I'm in the land of nod in seconds.

We have Presidential elections coming up here soon.

The President of Finland is more of a Figurehead now and holds no real executive power

The thing you have to understand about this current phase of our electoral process... this is only the selection for the oppositions man. It's pretty much a muck raking event as everyone digs up everyones else's skeletons. After this gets done they will all close ranks and pretend none of the bad stuff was ever said. After all they all hope for cabinet positions in the gov if they win. Then the muck raking starts all over as they try to take down the current president. I suppose this is the way it works everywhere.

Oh yes the muck raking goes on here too. If a would be politician says something over here and then a reporter brings it up at a later date in an interview, the would be politician always says 'your taking my remarks out of context'. He or she then begins to talk about something entirely different and the reporters best efforts to steer the interview back to the previous topic are ignored.

Roy.

Well, we americans aren't interested in the rest of the world. Whenever some major event occurs in the world they conduct polls to see if anyone knows where the event is happening; many of us can't even tell you what continent the event is happening in. I think 50% of americans had no idea where Afghanistan was when we invaded it. We do care about kicking ass though; even if we have no idea where we're doing it.

Oh yeah, we invented democracy and freedom too. :lol: