Height in the garden

Rossi

Having browsed through most of the railway footage of members layouts, it came across to me that a lot of the trackwork is at ground level . Maybe its just me, but doesn't it bring on a lot of bending and knee problems? (This observation is only intended for the people in my category of fifty years plus...and the rest!)

My first garden railway was at something like 2 to 3 feet level, but this was because of using a garden shed as the main operating area, and the one on my middle terrace is probably at a height of two foot, but this is solely because of the breeze blocks which were employed, and the obvious problem of not being allowed to run on a tiled area. (Household rules!)..Although it is brilliantly flat!!!!

I quite like the "sad" notion of being able to bend down to eye level and view trains in a somewhat reality format.

Obviously these are only my own meanderings on the subject, but I wonder,(if any)... are there certain criteria that fellow members follow?

I think it's all a matter of how you can fit the layout into your garden. I would imagine most modellers would find it prefereable to have the layout at a convenient height both for viewing and maintenance/construction purposes. Back in Selby I could certainly have run the layout along 2 sides of the garden at a more convenient height without it ever being in the way but the final sections would not have been acceptable at anything other than close to ground level. Here in Doncaster I've got 2 sides of the garden where the layout could be elevated but along the front of the house and down by the side of the path it really does need to be at low level so that it doesn't obstruct access.

Getting down on my hands and knees has never bothered me but that might change in the coming years. I still like to see model trains running through the landscape as opposed to being 3 or 4 feet above it but perhaps increased elevation just requires more thought as to the scenics.

I think everyone has a very personal approach to how they do their layout. Some people are into having a traditional layout only it's outdoors, others mostly just want to run trains.

I got into this by seeing layouts on youtube. The layouts that grabbed my attention were at eye level; which for Ho scale seem to be perfect for viewing while sitting in a chair. I know how to build things out of wood so it just suited my abilities to build a shelf layout essentially. I was also drawn to the minimalism of the raised layouts. There seems to be no shame in just having track and running trains, and that suits me as well; not to mention the no rules approach where anything runs.

I find that garden railway modeling is the perfect thing for me. I used to try to build layouts with structures and scenics; I was even really good at building detailed things for my layouts, but it just took so long to do it right. It became a huge chore.

Last year I made a veggie garden in my back yard and was wondering what to do with the front yard. (Yard = garden I believe... in american a garden is a cultivated patch of the yard. Pardon my misuse of terms it's a geographical impairment on my part. :) ) Most of my inspiration came from jules garden railway. His garden and layout look like a little haven where you can sit and sip a drink and maybe watch some trains, or else do a little gardening or read a book. I especially like his strands of lights for night viewing.

You can see in my layout pics that i have a small brick patio out front. I eat most of my evening meals out there in the summer and also use it as a extra room for my house during the summer. We spend a lot of time out there sipping wine and chatting about life. Adding the layout platforms has given the area a certain form that has now inspired me to do some planting below the platforms; mostly flowers and morning glories that will hopefully climb up onto the platforms for scenery. I am probably seeming a little philosophical but the garden railway has become much more than a train set, it's a whole new way of doing my hobby that has gotten me out of my hole in the basement.

i am not quite at 50 yet; I do have back issues and my knees are getting older too. I can't imagine crawling around on the ground with my trains it would become tedious after a while. When I run my trains I sort of forget that they are running on an 8" wide plank. i just see the trains so the shelves are not an issue. Besides I have plenty of N scale stuff for a fully sceniced layout with structures if I get a craving for that kind of modeling.

Another thing about garden railways; i find myself really enjoying everyones layout pics. I don't have any expectations, about what a layout should be, like I did with regular model railroading. I tend be pleased to see someone else having fun with their trains when I see a new layout. And enjoy that this is a developing hobby, so everyone seems to have an oddball new idea to add to the growing methods for layout building.

i guess my main concern was to integrate the layout into a seating area and not have the trains running at the level of peoples toes.

Good mixture of responses, as I thought there may be.

Wholeheartedly agree with TGB about the adaption of all things out of doors.

traingeekboy said:

Another thing about garden railways; i find myself really enjoying everyones layout pics. I don't have any expectations, about what a layout should be, like I did with regular model railroading. I tend be pleased to see someone else having fun with their trains when I see a new layout. And enjoy that this is a developing hobby, so everyone seems to have an oddball new idea to add to the growing methods for layout building.

I think the concept of "00" moving from the indoor parochial thinking, widens the mind slightly when it breaches the open spaces.

I was always a little intimidated by views in the model press, when a lot of the perceptions were heralded by rivet counters as the way forward. This is not to knock the numerous and talented modellers who portray their systems in an extremely professional way, but I think the outdoors brings a little of the childhood back to us. Yes I love shunting wagons and carriages in a semi railway like manner, but to sit back and watch your favourite train trundle through a couple of make believe fields or clatter through a suburban station, surely whisks most of us back in time.

I quite enjoy the satisfaction of visitors (after the initial shock of first seeing the railway) who gaze in awe at an express thundering down the line and then casually say what a fine sight it makes. Its irrespective of whether a Jinty with five trucks just preceded an inter city 125. They don't care.

So, even though I've wandered slightly from the "Height" topic, I think my point is that we pander to our own needs. And rightly so,because in the main, its ourselves,( with that imaginary station masters hat on) who sit there bringing our past memories to life.

Well. that and maybe a nice glass of Chardonnay.

Go for what height suits you at your present time in life, but as you get older the thought of too much bending down to ground level does become an issue. Having had a nasty fall though an open loft hatch when my layout was in the loft, that is what made me decide to move from the loft but to its current location. The shed was an option available as you have the normal working height for the workbench and thenshelves up as high as you want, which in my case left a rather blank space between workbenth and shelves. As we already had a large freezer in the shed the final decision was that the railway in the shed would sit above the freezer, this was done but lack of space to run proper mainline expresses made me look outsie towards the garden and so the decision was made back in2005 to extend outside. Hole duely made in the shed and then permanent way built but not having anything at the far end then had to build the rocky at the top end. It comes out of the shed at about chest height and keeping it level at the far end its about level with the 'crown jewels'. its a lot easier to operate at this level, so its keeps me happy and the kids love it as its at eye level for them.

Ian

I think my decision to go for ground level was due mainly to laziness. I have never done much brick laying or carpentry so the thought of laying anything too substantial was rather daunting! Only being 35 my knees are not complaining just yet, I may feel differently in the future :D

I think given the preference o would have the railway elevated slightly. Although I have not yet completed the hazelnut railway I am thinking of an extension towards the house. as the back of the garden is slightly raised, any extension will need to be elevated. The view from the patio across the pond would be great. A way off, but doesn't hurt to daydream!

Andy, I find your layout really charming at ground level. I love the pics of it. Plus, I believe you have an assistant engineer who probably likes it that way too. ;)

Rossi said:

I quite enjoy the satisfaction of visitors (after the initial shock of first seeing the railway) who gaze in awe at an express thundering down the line and then casually say what a fine sight it makes. Its irrespective of whether a Jinty with five trucks just preceded an inter city 125. They don't care.

Well. that and maybe a nice glass of Chardonnay.

I have to agree on that first point and actively pursue the second point. Most people who see my layout are not train enthusiasts. They find it charming, and oddball, but like it. They never seem to be concerned that I have mixed the wrong coaches together or whatever. A glass of wine or a beer helps the conversation along too. :)

You also mentioned the magazine layouts. i recall the magazines when I was a kid in the 70's. There was still excitement over people making do with things and being very creative in their layout designs. For me, modern magazine articles have lost some of their ingenuity and creativity; I no longer buy train magazines. i do find old issues from the 50's-70's second hand and read them cover to cover as if they had just come off the presses. What i see in the outdoor crowd is a communal pleasure regarding all things trains. Anytime someone posts pics there is a positive response because no matter what level the poster is at, we've all been there and we know how good it felt to get things going on the layout.

A little off topic...

This is a small group here. And yet everyone here has a layout or has had a layout. our layouts may not be perfect, but we have layouts! Most prototype obsessed forums are crowded by people who do not have layouts.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree that for a railway with realistic scenery, eye level is best for viewing. My indoor layout (under construction) is so arranged. My reason for building an outdor railway was to see long trains with big engines winding their way through the countryside. Hence it is mostly on low embankments (but not too low or dirt becomes a problem). I guess we are all doing it to meet slightly different objectives, we all have different gardens as raw material, and the other household members with a say in the matter may have vastly differing ideas!

fungus said:

and the other household members with a say in the matter may have vastly differing ideas!

If SWMBO had her way there would be no GGR or stock either but as its outside and does not interfere with what she does I am at present okay but trouble looms if I bring anything into the house. The shed at times can get a mite lonely but its peacefull

Ian

• 3 years later...

I have always wanted a garden railway, actually for most of my life I wanted a railway....any railway

It is only in the last 15 years this has become possible, and due to other commitments which are now winding down, construction which started 10 years ago is finally getting somewhere.

Luckily before construction started I discovered old age is catching up. So bending down which although it is possible it is becoming more painful. and I still have 8 years till I retire.

Even if my layout hadn't started in a shed at 3ft and therefore 4ft outside the shed, I would have built it that way. Additionally as you will see in my Layout thread there are numerous hazards to the railway as I have fields on 2.5 sides, ground level track would quickly be swallowed up by the wildlife.