Not for Rivet Counters

grockle

Actually read your reply Griff some time ago but as I was not logged in was unable to reply at the time. Because we are relaying the complete layout we thought that concrete sleepered track would look much better for the mainline running.

Ian

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was going to upload pictures of yesterdays tracklaying but (DER) I have left the camera at my mates house, so will have to wait until Friday for the updates now. We managed to get all the curves in and now just have the final straight of 18ft to lay. As this is going to be the countryside bit with both branch lines as well the decision has been made to hide at least one or two of the lines inside sloping hills. Once the mainlines have been layed in a cresent moon shape, next on the agenda will be the laying of the remainder of the branch line to the town. Bridges and Viaducts have been placed provisionally and its looking good but as always the final plan always differs from the initial designs. Decisions, decisions, decisions.

Ian

Its Friday so time to update this thread. Pictures have been unloaded into my gallery but will post a few here just for tasters.

[album]787[/album][album]788[/album][album]791[/album][album]794[/album][album]797[/album][album]799[/album][album]800[/album][album]802[/album][album]804[/album][album]805[/album]

The branchlines have yet to be layed as we need to get more baseboards fitted to widen three sides of the layout. The only part that is not being widened is the station area.

Ian

Only doing what the owner wants, not my idea but will let Carl find out for himself when it goes horribly wrong. Hopefully before the town is built above the hidden track.

Track testing was fine and the Big Boy enjoyed his workout with a small rake of boxcars, tankers, coal wagons and the cabosse, total 19 wagons in all.

Ian

You know, that Tiny Thomas and halvsie coach set is really cute. Not bad at all.

I just noticed it looks like no insulation in the attic. If it's like my attic, I bet it's dreadfully cold in winter and hot as hell in summer. I thought about an attic layout because I have a large 40 x 30 space up there, and then I stood up in that room in the summer and sweated like a pig within seconds. End of loft layout concept for ol' Geeky.

Loft does have some insulation and also air vents as well. Its not that cold up there during the winter and in the summer the mobile air conditioning unit is used keeping it nice and cool

As its a local council owned property, council house, the tenant can only have work approved and done by the council authorities and he had to get permission to build his layout up in the loft.

Ian

Have been reading a book writtern by Robin Barnes titled 'Locomotives That Never Were' (some 20th century british projects) first published in the UK in 1985 by Jane's Publishing Company Limited ISBN 0 7106 0326 6 if you want to look for it online.

A couple of loco's have taken my fancy so now looking for the relevant loco's so that I can do the relevant modifications to them. The finished articles should look rather nice once finshed. No more details will be forthcoming until items sourced, then will get busy with the camera as well.

Ian

Latest project is now under Butchery and I'm having a go at some 'Southern Muck'. I must be mad, but it just had to be done.

The loft layout is having some basic scenic work done at present so just spent Thursday afternoon have a running session with all six tracks in use. Must have a look at the station area where the branch lines terminate next week instead of just running trains. Also its running night next week at my model club so will be taking the following stock for a leg stretch

Loco's

twin tendered Flying Scotsman A1/3 LNER green Hornby

Flying Scotsman A1/3 LNER green Hornby

Captain Cuttle A1/3 BRITISH RAILWAYS experimential dark blue Hornby with Romford wheels

Blink Bonny A1/3 Br logo Br green Hornby

Lord Roberts Britannia Br logo Br green Hornby

Airfixc N2 LNER green

Wrenn N2 LNER green

Airfix 61XX Br logo Br black

Albert Hall Br logo experimential light green Tri-ang

Double ended (australian style) blue diesel Tri-ang

Coaching stock

Br MK1 pullman liveried coaches x 7 plus 1 x Brake comp, 1 x corridor comp blue/grey br MK1's

Tri-ang/Hornby pullman coaches series 1 x 10. This rake is heavy so possibility of some double heading or use the twin tendered Scotsman as both tenders are motorised.

Ian

• 2 weeks later...

Tomorrow is Sunday 18 March 2012 and here in the UK its Mothers Day.. So what, I hear you ask, well the wife has got the family comming over for dinner but I am sneaking out the house at about 0300hrs in the morning to do a car boot sale at Newton Abbot cattle market. Why so damn early, simple, the early bird gets the best pitches and as the weather gets better and the day light longer getting there early ensures that you get the pitch of your choice. Why am I doing this year instead of staying at home and phoning my Mum. Unfortunetly there are no phones to the Big Upstairs and as I lost my Mum 10 years ago this year just after Mothers Day I personelly prefer to keep myself otherwise occupied, not so stressful and as I am selling model railway items and trains at the car boot I get to play as well as sell. I have been known to even buy the odd 00 gauge or N gauge loco and stock as well from other stall holders if the price is correct, and once done a swap deal which of course was to my advantage.

Anyway to all you Lads and Lasses that are going to their Mothers for Mothers Day, have a great time.

Ian

Griff, the car boot today was a complete and utter waste of time as far as selling anything went. Sold absolutely nothing, but as always had a good natter with quite a few other modellers who always make their way to my set up, as I run trains all the time, not only for my amusement but also to show all and sundry that what I am selling works. I do however always take my UP Big Boy to give it a leg streatch, otherwise it just sits in it box for weeks on end. Of course its always a good one for all to see because of its size compared to the normal steam engines in OO or HO gauge especially if I run the little switcher after the BB has done a circuit.

Total circuit is approx 12ft by 4ft so not a bad run.

[album]727[/album] The front of the car boot set up

[album]732[/album] The rear of the car boot set up with small fiddle yards for both the N and OO/HO or ON30

Ian

That lot spends most of its time sat in the trailer in 8 parts each measuring 3ft by 2ft. All points are powered by Seep point motors and the controllers are Hornby/Dublo for the 00 gauge and very old Mecanno for the N gauge. Power is two 12V car batteries that have not got the guts to turn the car engine over but very good for running the DC set-up. Will get a picture of the trailer loaded so that you can see where it all goes once packed away.

Ian

Today is Thursday which means it train day. Going round to a friends of mine today to check out on the modified butchery thats being done on what once was a perfectly good Spam Can 'Winston Churchill' steam locomotive. Also should be doing some running upstairs on his loft layout. Might even get to lay some more track or even the possibility of getting the turntable and steam stabling area put in and maybe working. Only time will tell.

Due to inclement weather nothing has been done at all on the GGR so its just a case of running a few trains in the shed, boring but better than nothing.

Ian

Lovely Sunday morning and I am not doing a car boot myself decided that a quick run into Exeter was the order of the day to have a look around the car boot that they hold there every Sunday at the cattle market in Exeter on the March Barton Industrial Estate. One or two bits of train stuff knocking around at silly prices but then came across a third person selling locos mainly and purchased an Airfix GWR Castle for the hefty sum of £12. Would have also bought the Mainline coaches that he had but not enough funds in the wallet as usual, but did take his mobile number for future use as he is selling a lot of model railway items for a widow who has no interest in model railways what so ever. The Airfix Castle has already got its hat and coat on and is now going to a friend of mine's layout where it will take up permenant residence. Track tested once I got home and it runs a treat and was able to pull a rake of 8 Br MK1's without any trouble.

Ian

*^£%$(%&^£*($&%*$£$£ BOILERS !!!! Pilot light decided to give up the ghost Sunday evening. Trying to get hold of one first thing Monday morning with no like. Finally located one just after midday but after i had paid for it and went to pick it up, they didn't have the part, stock check error, so no heating or hot water until at least 10am tomorrow morning when they have promised me they will have one delivered to them. We now await with baited breath for the phone call tomorrow morning.

On a better note though my GWR liveried A4 is now finished completely. Received through the post last week her name plates and spent Sunday afternoon fitting them along with a 'Grockle Express' headboard. Now to sort out some rolling stock, rake of GWR liveried Collets and then its maiden raun around the shed for starters. Garden section not sorted yet for running. Still doing maintenance, more than I thought being required this year.

Ian