Not for Rivet Counters

grockle

Mate gave me a box of bits on Thursday and said use them on your scrapyard 'Sher-Voo', but on looking at the bits there was a complete Thompson coach so instead of using it as a scrapper I reassembled it using all the scrap bits in the box and a couple of nuts and bolts to hold the bogies onto the chassis. Now have a rather neat looking Thompson coach in full working order. Only problem is that it sits a bit too high when in a rake of coaches so now its out with the files to get the ride height correct. So much for just a simple assembly job.

http://www.modelrailwaysforsale.com/model-trains/MR00184" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ian

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

*+**+* CARS

Front right disc has been making funny noises, so this morning it was off with the front right wheel for a quick inspection. One of the pads had worn right down leaving about 1mm of pad but part of the pad was also shiny metal where it had been scrapping on the disc itself. When I last changed the front pads I always keep the old pads just incase of emergencies like this so was able to replace the one worn pad with a part worn one. I know that its not considered the best form of repair/replacement but on a car that is over 22 years old parts are now getting harder to source so its a case of make do with what you have spares wise. Brake test carried out and now no horrible noises and the brakes are working like they should do, stopping the car in a nice straight line without my hands on the steering wheel.

Job done, now a quick clean up and and a cuppa tea, I think I deserve that at least.

Ian

*+**+* CARS

Front right disc has been making funny noises, so this morning it was off with the front right wheel for a quick inspection. One of the pads had worn right down leaving about 1mm of pad but part of the pad was also shiny metal where it had been scrapping on the disc itself. When I last changed the front pads I always keep the old pads just incase of emergencies like this so was able to replace the one worn pad with a part worn one. I know that its not considered the best form of repair/replacement but on a car that is over 22 years old parts are now getting harder to source so its a case of make do with what you have spares wise. Brake test carried out and now no horrible noises and the brakes are working like they should do, stopping the car in a nice straight line without my hands on the steering wheel.

Job done, now a quick clean up and and a cuppa tea, I think I deserve that at least.

Ian

what car is it? I might be able to help you source parts

This is the beast in question

http://www.carbuddy.com.au/car/values/specification/viewspecs.aspx?gid=26850&tid=108765933" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Only difference is that mine is a 3 speed Automatic with overdrive with the 1998cc not the 2200cc as specified on the link

Ian

Edit:

Mine is also a carbaretor model not fuel injection.

Also noticed that it does not have the indicator repeaters on the sides of the front wings.

Neither does it have front headlamp washers either.

I have added the following to mine since I bought it 2 years ago;

Fog lamps mounted below the front bumper, actually situated right underneath the outer headlamps.

Driving lamps mounted inside of the main front lights which mostly obscure the very small grille area.

Roof spoiler that sits at the rear of the roof which has a high level brake light and indicators mounted in it.

Roof Bars bolted through the car roof as there are no mounting points at all for any form of roof rack/bars.

Edited by Guest

Good deal on that teak you got for free Grock.

Its going back from whence it came, as I don't have any of them in my running stock at all, infact got rid of all my Thompsons and Teaks a few years ago.

Even got the Thompson running at the correct ride height now as well, as it was standing taller when I first reassembled it.

Ian

This is the beast in question

http://www.carbuddy.com.au/car/values/specification/viewspecs.aspx?gid=26850&tid=108765933" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Only difference is that mine is a 3 speed Automatic with overdrive with the 1998cc not the 2200cc as specified on the link

Ian

Edit:

Mine is also a carbaretor model not fuel injection.

Also noticed that it does not have the indicator repeaters on the sides of the front wings.

Neither does it have front headlamp washers either.

I have added the following to mine since I bought it 2 years ago;

Fog lamps mounted below the front bumper, actually situated right underneath the outer headlamps.

Driving lamps mounted inside of the main front lights which mostly obscure the very small grille area.

Roof spoiler that sits at the rear of the roof which has a high level brake light and indicators mounted in it.

Roof Bars bolted through the car roof as there are no mounting points at all for any form of roof rack/bars.

If your having trouble sourcing parts maybe I can be of assistance as the link is in my neck of the woods.

Roy.

Having now had the beast for 2+ years its been very cheap to run on the parts side. Apart from tyres and disc pads the only other exspence has been keeping it running and with petrol at a £132.9p per litre is getting dearer by the day. Last 2 MOT's have been a doddle, passed both times but I think that this years MOT is going to cost me dearly, as it sounds like the exhaust is finally giving up the ghost and having already had a look at it a complete new exhaust system is the only way to go as its been patched so many times its about to fall apart for the final time. So far quotes have varied from £300 to £613 for a complete system and thats before fitting. New front disc pads are going to cost me about £40 and its also in need of a couple of tyres as well, but will be getting seconds (tyre wise) from a reputable dealer for about £40, which is a massive save of £60 as budget new one's would cost me about £100 for a pair.

Train wise I am currenly having trouble keeping the shed dry internally as its sprung a few leaks what with all the rain that we have been having recently so looks like a new felt roof is the order of the day but will be laying some boards over the existing roof first just to give it a bit more strength as the shed is starting to look in a bit of a sorry state. One of the shed sides also needs looking at so might just board that side up completely a do away with the windows as they are already blocked out so no one can see whats inside.

The original phase 3 build is going to have to be completely stripped away and started again this time using 6x1 inch timbers and leg supports as the local wildlife likes to use it as a walk way, hence its present state of collaspe.

Plenty to do but as its raining nothing is getting done yet.

Ian

with petrol at a £132.9p per litre is getting dearer by the day.

Bargain!

We pay the equivalent of about £1.50 litre and owning a couple of V8s it gets a little hard on the wallet... The Range Rover I brought with me from the UK has a Gas conversion... problem is the nearest LPG supplier is either Tampere or Jyväskylä and the journey there and back either uses about 2/3 tank of Gas lol

(we do have sensible cars as well)

Can't sell the Range rover yet as I have to keep it another 2 years (total 5 years) otherwise I have to pay the import duty on it I dodged when I moved here. Not that I really want to as its its great for these roads this time of year

Been a busy last few days but not on my layout. Friend of mine's layout had a disaster last week when it all collasped. After he managed to salvage most of the track and all of the baseboards bar one, it was considered that a complete rebuild of the framework was required. This was started last Thursday afternoon and was finally completed by Saturday afternoon. Baseboards have also been relayed and its now not only so secure that I can lay on it but its level as well. One problem that he had prior to its total demise. We used the house roof trusses as supports for the back of the framework and used the ladder system of framework and then secured it all using rather chunky 4 x 4 inch timbers as legs at the front. This layout now is not going to move now as should make the relaying of the trackwork a lot easier without the gradiets that were there before.

Ian

No stock was damaged at all. A few buildings need a touch of glue to put them too rights and a few pieces of track are beyond repair. I even managed to break on during the replacement of a board that survived with track still pinned to it.

Ian

Going back to the newly built loft layout this Thursday. At present the baseboards are getting a coat of brown paint so that come Thursday we will be able to start track laying again. This time will try to remember to take my camera to catch the rebuild of Carl's layout. Will probably not be running anything but you never know with two persons laying track we might get the slow line done and run something.

Its also running night at the local model club that I am a member of so will be taking some of my own rolling stock for a leg stretch. A3 60091 Captain Cuttle with some MK1 coaches, my newly acquired black 43XX with either goods or passenger stock, not decided on that yet and Br black Standard 4MT is also on the cards for a run as well.

Ian

Ian

The 0 gauge loco is a 1930's metholated spirit's (live steam) Bowman 0-4-0t freelance design that belonged to my late father, got stock to go with it as well as track, and its sitting on the original box before dismantling. The heat shield had broken in half due to old age, thereby not allowing the meths burners underneath to heat up the water in the boiler properly. It had to be stripped right down to get the heat shield out and then a new one was made from tinplate and then re-instated correctly and then completely re-assembled again, tested and put back into its box for storage till the summer (if it ever comes).

Ian