Not for Rivet Counters

grockle

As I like to do a bit of the 'not on my railway' thinks I have posted a few pictures of finished projects that just somehow don't go down well with the ANORAKS and RIVET COUNTERS that seem to be around on other forums.

Your comments are always welcome and suggestions are considered for possible modifications to old stock that I have laying around gathering dust.

[album]662[/album]

Was originally LNER blue Sir Nigel Gresley but the finished paint job was so bad that it had to be stripped back to basics, then decided that as the A4's came down to the west country on trials back in the 1920's/30's and failed dismally, wondered what they would have looked like if they had been successful, hence repainted in post 1928 GWR green and marked up Great Western on the tender, brass chimney to complete the transformation, loco number is 4628 and is called PAGEND MITH which is an anagram of a well known railway phrase still used today. Something for you all to ponder over...!!

Ian

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dislike rivet counters too. I worked on the railways over here for over 15 years and was a member of a now defunct model railway club which had a large 40ft x 15ft railway. I once sent a double header consisting of a 48 class diesel piloting an 81 class diesel, which is akin to a class 20 leading a class 66. Although the 20/66 combination may not occur in the UK the 48/81 combination did occur here. That combination was done to give the 48 class to an operator on another part of the railway for use as a shunting loco on an all diesel night. It happened on the real railway too for the same reason and was done because it was easier to detach the leading loco rather than having to detach both locos and isolating the train. This particular rivet counter balled out 'that combination is not realistic or prototypical'. I should point out that, that particular rivet counter was a bank manager and had never worked on the real railways in his life. But HE knew and I didn't, according to him.:roll:

I love the paint scheme on the A4 and the copper capped chimney really sets it off. The name and the phrase however escapes me. :?

Roy.

A few more resprays, not to everyone's taste, including mine..........

[album]676[/album]

Albert Hall in expermential Br light green (Looks sick)

[album]675[/album]

A3 Captain Cuttle in expermential Br dark blue with what was a Coronation tender, now modified to suit.

[album]674[/album]

Princess Victoria in Br blue. This was actually going to be done by Tri-ang, but never happened, so my own version of something that never made it to the end.

[album]677[/album]

Double cabbed class 43 in sky blue with modified MK3 coaches

[album]669[/album]

Second power unit on an HST, this is now going to be resprayed to be with the Yank diesel unit that I have.

Ian

I dislike rivet counters too. I worked on the railways over here for over 15 years and was a member of a now defunct model railway club which had a large 40ft x 15ft railway. I once sent a double header consisting of a 48 class diesel piloting an 81 class diesel, which is akin to a class 20 leading a class 66. Although the 20/66 combination may not occur in the UK the 48/81 combination did occur here. That combination was done to give the 48 class to an operator on another part of the railway for use as a shunting loco on an all diesel night. It happened on the real railway too for the same reason and was done because it was easier to detach the leading loco rather than having to detach both locos and isolating the train. This particular rivet counter balled out 'that combination is not realistic or prototypical'. I should point out that, that particular rivet counter was a bank manager and had never worked on the real railways in his life. But HE knew and I didn't, according to him.:roll:

I love the paint scheme on the A4 and the copper capped chimney really sets it off. The name and the phrase however escapes me. :?

Roy.

There is a prototype for anything. In the last days before final conversion to diesel, the Norfolk and Western would use 4-8-8-4 engines on local freights. I have a picture in a book of one pulling a couple cars and a lonely caboose. If I ever get back to my N scale layout i plan to do the same thing and if anyone complains I have the historical reference to prove it. :mrgreen:

the Norfolk and Western would use 4-8-8-4 engines on local freights. I have a picture in a book of one pulling a couple cars and a lonely caboose

What a waste of a Big Boy but bet the driver and fireman had some serious fun with the regulator, plenty of wheels spinning at start-off..... :D

Ian

I saw on a video that the UP 'Challenger' 3985 is the largest operating steam loco in the world and now probably the most powerful operating steam loco in the world. Recently the most powerful operating steam loco in the world was the Norfolk and Western 'A' class 2-6-6-4 No. 1218 which now along with J 614 4-8-4 are static exhibits in a museum due to a change in management outlook on preserved steam operation on the Norfolk Southern which I've heard is now owned by Union Pacific.

The 'A' class had a whistle tone similar to a Black 5 but significantly louder.

Roy.

Thursday 29 December, had a great afternoon around at a mate of mine running trains on his yet non finished layout in the loft. Got the Union Pacific Big Boy out and ran it with a rake of the old Hornby umber/cream pullmans, but had to have a converter wagon between loco and rolling stock. It did look bloody good. Then got the rake of 13 Br MK!1 maroon coaches out and tested the hauling power of his own loco stock, and was disappointed that the maximum that any of his loco's could pull was a rake of 10 coaches. Double heading was the way to go so spent majority of the afternoon running both rakes of coaching stock double headed with a Britannia and Princess class on the pullmans and A3 x 2 on the maroons stock.

Point of interest is that all the loco's I took were able to pull the 13 rake around his layout without any problems, his were just not man enough for the job, so now got to get to weighting them all up a bit so that they can pull the rake of 13 coaches. Should keep us busy for an hour or so next time I visit.

Sorry no pictures as forgot to take the camera.... :cry:

Ian

• 2 weeks later...

The GGR is going out on Sunday 8 January 2012 to Saltram House, Plymouth, Devon. Will be running, probably non-prototipical, a variety of stock including GWR Collets, LMS Stannier's, Br MK1 blue/greys, Br Maroons, GWR brown/cream, Pullmans and some MK2 blue/greys as well. Locomotive power will be varied from little 0-4-0 shunters to mainline 4-6-2's steam and 0-4-0 to CO-CO diesels, plus a couple of rakes of MK3's, blue/grey and Virgin livery with appropriate class 43 traction and suitable class 47's for drag work with the HST rakes.

Camera has been packed so with a bit of luck should have something to show at the end of the day.

Ian

edit. have included some pictures taken in 2011 at Saltram House

[album]727[/album][album]728[/album][album]729[/album]

[album]732[/album][album]730[/album][album]731[/album]

Sunday 8 January 2012 at Saltram House was a wash out. Got everything out and set up, managed to get a couple of quick pictures then it drizzled, then more drizzle and quess what, more drizzle so cover put over and wait for the drizzle to pass. About an hour later the skies cleared so uncovered it all and started to run then it started to rain big time, so covered again and then slowly but surely everything was packed away again. It was basicly a complete and utter waste of time, energy and fuel, but heck its a day away from the wife with like minded mates, running a few trains when the weather allowed.

Ian

The Lego train has been scratched built by a mate of mine and he now has a tender for it as well.

The APT was on loan from yet another mate of mine, and the number of people that said what a nice HST it was !!!

Yes it is just a running display so chance to show the everage 'joe' what is available be it new or old and most of the stock last year was mine including all the 0 gauge, clockwork loco on the turntable, meths train at the back.

Just a couple of pictures I am afraid due to the lousy weather so here goes

[album]739[/album][album]738[/album]

and the following are what I have been doing in the shed during the lousy days when not running in the shed. Should make a few weep in their beers and tea........ :lol::lol::lol:

[album]733[/album][album]734[/album][album]735[/album]

and for a comparison with the original see below........... :D:D:D

[album]736[/album][album]737[/album]

Thats all for the time being, just got to rename the shortened coach and the other one which is still to be done.

Ian

and the following are what I have been doing in the shed during the lousy days when not running in the shed. Should make a few weep in their beers and tea........ :lol::lol::lol:

[album]733[/album][album]734[/album][album]735[/album]

and for a comparison with the original see below........... :D:D:D

[album]736[/album][album]737[/album]

Thats all for the time being, just got to rename the shortened coach and the other one which is still to be done.

Ian

This reminds me that I should really build a time saver switching layout for the cold winter months.