Not for Rivet Counters

grockle

Yesterday evening after I had spent an enjoyable day with a good friend of mine, I then had to do something that I was hoping that I would not have to do. I have been chasing for over 12 months now a so called friend of mine for monies that he owed me for stock that was bought on a promise to pay me later. This never happened and after many calls around to his house, numerios phone call, emails, and PM's on Facebook, that were never answered, not only did he then block me on said site but then salgged me off big time making numerious acusations that are totally untrue, all of which are now filed away for future reference and maybe police action, if needed. I had to make it public knowledge on facebook what he is really like. Normally I am a placid person and if someone is having trouble, irrestpective of what it is, I will be patient and wait my time, but this guy just took the proverbial PI** and I have finally had enough. Suffice to say this has caused a bit of stink on facebook for starters but I have got to the stage now where if he continues to tell untruths and total lies about me, then I must put forward my own side of the story. Suffice to say is that he owes me monies to the tune of £120, and I have found out that over the course of the last couple of months, has also blagged loco's and rolling stock off of other members of a model club that I am also a member off, plus of course the person I use for fixing not only my own loco's but, this person also carries out repairs for club members at very favourable rates. To date he now owes locally to 5 people a sum just short of £300, me being the one owed the most. I have already approached the police but they don't want to know as its a personnel matter, but they have told me that if I contue to call around his house I could be cautioned and possible be 'Bound Over' for harrassment. Once again it would appear that the justice system only works for the thiefs, robbers, conmen and the like, but not for the innocent, that just want to get their own goods back, that haven't been payed for. The other reason behind naming and shaming is that he has just started selling items of 00 gauge stock, mainly steam related items, on Ebay and other model railway selling sites and forums, knowing full well that some of the stock he is trying to sell is not his in the first place to sell, as he has never paid for them.

If your find this person on Ebay trying to sell items please send me a link so that I can have a look and possibly confirm if its goods that he is not entitled to sell

#### ##### from Chudleigh, Devon, is the person who I am naming and shaming, but he might also use his partners name ##### ### also from the same location, when trying to sell trying to avoid detection.

Ian

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He doesn't sound like a good sort. Having said that, YOU can possibly get into trouble for publicly posting his name. At least here you can.

is there no recourse? Here, one would simply file a civil suit and claim either the return of goods or the value in money. And yes, do stay away from him.

I'd say if anything, it's a good lesson for the future, only cash in hand can buy stock. Debts between friends always end up being doubts between friends.

On some level whenever we try to do good deeds... no good deed et al. Sorry to hear of it all though.

In all the years that I have modelling this is the only time that this has happened. Numerious other modellers from my local club are always loaning stuff and letting prospective buyers try out stock on their own layouts prior to purchasing. This is a common practive especially in our model club so nothing untoward was suspected. It was only when he stopped comming to club that certain memebers kept asking me when he was comming next as he owned them money for goods that I started to ask a few telling questions and that's when I came to light that I wan't the only one that he had blagged stock from. Using my good name not only to introduce him to the club but also blagging stock in the first place. That is so underhand that yes I was quite happy to name and shame the guy publicly, his name is #### #####, from Chudleigh in Devon, but he is also using the name ##### ###, his partner as well to get rid of stock, some of which has not been payed for and therefore not his to sell.

Ian

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately Ian, in every pond there is a percentage of "pond life".

I would rather give something away than have someone try to con me out of it. He can only use his underhand tactics once, when everyone finds out what he is like they will shun him and he will soon run out of 'friends', victims, really.

Again, try the small claims court, costs very little/nowt, but might just get the action you desire. Plus, if he has a SCC judgement against him you may find the police look on your claim against him in a different light.

Life is busy for me at this time of year.

What with the issues I'm having with my 00 gauge Dapol class 22.

Getting taken to the cleaners by a so called friend to the tune of £120 plus personnal items on loan to him.

My daughter has now kicked her lazy useless boyfriend out of her flat. Good riddance to bad rubbish and both SWMBO and myself have been waiting patiently in the wings for this to happen. We have both breathed a sigh of relief when we found out Saturday morning. First bit of good news for 2013 so it can only get better now and seeing that Mother's Day is next Sunday I think that both SWMBO and myself are going to treat daughter to a meal out saying that its a treat from her two kids, our youngest grandkids Leon & Makayla-Louise.

Ian

Good news from the last post

2 X Duette's and electric drill have finally been returned to me via a third party. Said third party didn't have to do this but did so because like me he didn't like the way that the person who still owes me £120 has been acting recently on Facebook, its sub forums and other sites that I don't frequent. Suffice to say its now the Small Claims Court now along with 3 other parties to try and get our respective monies owed to us back. Will we succeed, I honestly don't know but we have all got to give it a go at least. Just wondering what the Small Claims Court will be thinking when they see three seperate claims all against the same person being made within a week of each other?

Ian

Sorry to hear of your ongoing difficulties retrieving the monies owed to you Ian. I know how angry you must feel but I think it would be wise not to publicly name or accuse someone on a public forum, especially if you are considering taking the matter further via the courts. It's also in my interests, as the person ultimately responsible for the forum and all the posts made on it, to ensure that there is no possibility of legal action being taken against me for allowing such publication. As others have suggested, the small claims court is the way to go. You'll need to have lots of patience because I guess it will take some time for the process to complete and perhaps even longer for any form of reimbursement.

Without checking back through all my recent posts, I think that I have mentioned him by name, however after some serious thought and after some of his actions taken against me, which were all found to be total lies I named and shamed the person concerned on Facebook. Why on there, simple, he tried to sell via one of the sub forums on Facebook, items of stock that he still hasn't payed me for yet, although he said that he had a bill for said item, that was correct, but it was the bill for the work to get said item motorised only, which I payed for as it was done by other party whom I will call Mr Fix It. As he was a member of a local model railway club as well, members there allow other members interested in purchasing items of stock from other members a 'try before you buy' policy. This has been going on before even I joined said model club and he took full advantage of this and blagged quite a lot of stock from club members but never paid anyone for said items. It was only after I started to created a few waves about the monies owed to me that he suddenly stopped turning up at model club and after a few weeks other club members started asking me when he was going to turn up again. I didn't have a clue and it then started to come to light that he owed at least three other club members money for stock. The total to date amounts to £293-50p. At least two of us owed monies are going to the Small Claims Court to try and get our money or goods back.

Ian

Its one of things thats started off as helping a fellow modeller, but he just abused mine and other's trust. Suffice to say its now 'time expired' so come Monday its the Small Claims Court. Having spoke to the other club members owed money, they are going to club together and make a joint claim again this blaggard. So now there are 3 claims going in against the same person. What we all found out though, since he hasn't turned up, he has purchased a second car, this time a 3 series BMW along with the other car that he already own's, a 51 reg Ford Focus, has been having more tattoo's done, and there not cheap, but just can't see himself able to pay monies owed to other people. This has all been noted not only by my good self but a couple of other people so its all mounting up against the blaggard.

Ian

South West Water are this morning going to get a phone call they wish they hadn't got. Since my daughter moved into her new flat last Oct she has been sent 3 bills, all for the previous tenant. The water board have been contacted twice about this and have been given the new tenants details and guess what, daughter has just received what should have been her first water bill, but no the bloody idiots have still addressed it to the previous tenant, Bloody Morons and this time I'm going to be polite but damned hard on them and calling them incompetant idiots. This time around they can't blame it on computer error. This time its down to their own stupidity and I am going to let them know it.

Ian

• 2 weeks later...

Was meant to be sorting out someone else's car foglights Thursday but it was, you've guess ,raining again. So instead a road trip to Exmouth to collect from Collet Models of Exmouth a Limited Edition Stepney that I had on order, and had arrived at the shop quicker than I was exspecting. Whilst there also bought a S Cruffy coal truck. Now getting there with the Thomas stock for Grandson Leon.

Ian

Saturday morning at 0900hrs the sound of chainsaws at work was heard at the back of the house. This might not be to everyones ears nice, but for once I was glad to hear them at work. The tree thats at the back of my property, in the neighbours garden I must add, has been a constant annoyance as the under canopy is so so low. Unfortunetly said tree can't be just hacked at as its got a bloody preservation order slapped on it by some goody goody two shoes official many years ago. Another tenant behind us had got her husband to do some home surgery on said tree, illegaly of course and had left the tree in such a state that it had to be sorted by profesional tree surgeons. This was done last Autumn, but left said tree looking lopsided. Being on good terms with the current owners of the house where said tree is, they informed me that in early Spring they would be sorting out the lopsided looking issue of said tree, and yes on Saturday they came, they conquered and now its looks not only striaghter, but also now got some serious light getting into the house, at long last. It doesn't look like that they have done much, but what has been done is such a vast improvement and should in the long run mean that in the summer month's we should get a much better share of the sun. The only reminders of the tree surgeons visit is a fine splattering of chainsaw sawdust spread over the majority of the GGR. A small price to pay for more sun.

Ian

Saltram House, Plymouth Devon, was my destination today for a 'Display & Play' session instead of a car boot or exhibit. This ment that I could take what stock I wanted to run and I did just that. Whilst there a reporter from the 'local rag', The Plymouth Herald, was around taking snapshots of what was happening and yours truelies layout was duly pictured. The report should be in the daily 'rag' sometime next week. If I find it will of course put a link in for all to see.

Ian

It must be my lucky weekend. Decided on Saturday afternoon that I would do a car boot at Newton Abbot livestock Market on Sunday 31 March 2013. Arrived there exceeding early. like at 0300hrs as I know that it gets very very busy and getting a good pitch can be difficult if you arrived anytime after 0430hrs. Well come 0530hrs its still pretty empty with only about 8 car boots there so decided what the heck and started to get my stall up and running. 1 hour later we have the track boards down connected and power supply connected as well and a test train is run just to check that all is correct. Managed to get it correct 1st time of assembling this time around, as normally I have to assemble with the aid of a torch or lamp using power from one of the 2 car batteries that I use to run the trains. Today the council who run this car boot, the blokes got there at 0530 and turned the lights on so for the first time in about a year I was able to seeet up without having to use any of my torch's or lamps. Don't forget also that the clocks went forward by 1 hours as well last night and come about 0930hrs it was still dead with very little foot fall at all. Then the masses started to arrive and when asked, most of them had forgot to put their clocks forward one hour, so a lot of them were now running late. Come about 1100 hrs I was busy as heck. Sold a Lima class 37 (boxed) for £30, then sold two sets of Hornby/Dublo doubkle signals (boxed) for yet another £35. Then I managed to sell all the Underground Ernie (all boxed) stock I had up for grabs for a further £55. Also managed to sell a box of N gauge bits and pieces I had for a further £20. A few other items later I finally stopped for a cuppa tea at about 1145hrs, and then as a lot of them had started to pack up, I did the same. Finally leaving the car boot at about 1300hrs. When I got home I counted up and I had made just short of £190, and I also bought a motherboard for my PC and three goods wagons for my own personnel use. £145 cash on the hip, all tax free and now I have some money either to buy more stock for the car boot of for the GGR. Yet another hard decision to make.

Ian

There is also a car boot local to me on Easter Monday as well, about half a mile from my house, but I'm not going there to sell, I'm going there to have a good look around and see if there is any train stuff up for grabs.

I was going to say a very nice days work but you got there at 3am after putting the clocks forward? That's almost a night shift!

Its a well attended car boot but just doesn't have enough space, so first come first served is the way it runs. Even in the wet weather this car boot is on as they then put the car booters in the multi-story car park. Unfortunetly they have also just put their prices up as well. So as of April 2013 its now £8 for a car, £10 for a car + trailer, or vans.

IAn