The Grockle Garden Railway

grockle

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you gentlemen, I feel informed. :lol:

Grockle, I just looked at your layout pictures. You are a nut! O, oo, n scales. You even have a Western Maryland diesel. The pic is a bit blurry, but I had the same thing in N scale if it's an Atlas SD35. I had to give mine up when I got laid off but kept the one in N&W as it is my favorite loco. You sir have a baaad train habit.

Lets get all the gauges that I have got sorted.

N gauge

This should be a finished project by now but 2 years down the line (bad pun intended) apart from relaying the track 3 times, ballasting and getting the station platforms done, not much else has happend. Now sitting in the caravan awaiting some insparation.

00 gauge

This is the GGR and will someday be going all around the garden. Money and health isses have so far prevent this but with some friends of mine who want to stretch their own loco's legs it might get a step nearer completion in 2012.

0 gauge

This has been inherited from my late father. It was bought for him as a Christmas present in 1930 by his older brother (my Uncle also deceased and 20 years his senior). I have always wondered wether he did by it for my Dad or himself, just one of those question I never did ask, and its too late now to ask.

On30

Yep even got a loco in this scale, it never gets run as again I just can't get any insparation to do anything with it.

Ian

i was just teasing, I'm just as bad. I have: 0 scale 3 rail lionel, N scale, Ho scale. I also had G scale at one point; I found it too pricey and didn't get past having some cheap track and a forney 040 with some cars.

it's cool you have your dads old O scale. It's worth having even if it just sits on a shelf.

Sounds like you have to get your train buddies over to help with the layout. you may have to shell out a couple bucks for beer and pizza though.

Can you get a better pic of that WM diesel at some point. It's a beautiful loco.

Can you get a better pic of that WM diesel at some point. It's a beautiful loco.

Sorry can't get any better pictures of any of the American deadweasels, sorry diesels, as they have gone to pastures new

it's cool you have your dads old O scale. It's worth having even if it just sits on a shelf.

No chance of that happening. It gets at least one run a year, but the hassle of getting out all the Bing track and joining it together just for a running session that lasts about 10 minutes makes it a chore at times. Really should get a couple of tables out with a sheet of 8ft x 4ft MDF, permanently lay the trac, then no excuse for not having several running session, only trouble is storage of the board as i have nowhere big enough to store it.

As far as beer and Pizza's go, neither of them drink, teetotal like me, so its just constant rounds of tea and biscuits (cookies)

Ian

Had a look today outside whilst it was not raining and took some pictures of the state the GGR is actually in at this present time. Not a pretty site but as yet got to download them onto the computer, so like me we will all have to wait a bit longer for a sorry looking GGR. This is infact due to having little if any running session this year due to family committments and of course the lovely British weather.

Ian

Pictures will be done as before and now

[album]709[/album][album]724[/album]

[album]655[/album][album]720[/album]

[album]716[/album][album]719[/album]

and the remainder are of what it now looks like now, disused I think is the best discreption...!!

[album]726[/album][album]725[/album][album]721[/album]

[album]722[/album][album]722[/album]

Ian

Crikey. Perhaps I should move this thread to the 'In the Planning Stage' section? ;) Or maybe I should include an 'In the midst of destruction' section and then I can add my final Selby photos too! :)

So where do you go from here? Do you have plans to renovate it (I assume some sections are salvageable?) or is it a case of an entire rebuild?

I think that a complete rebuild on this section is the way to go. Should not have used salvaged pallets as the permanent way as from the pictures you can see not only have they broken apart but have also warped beyond repair. Next item on the agenda is to source some more 6 x 1 inch tanalized timbers and then completely rebuild phase three and possibly even get the posts up for the last section to be put up. Once that is done just the bridge to sort out. The bridge has been constructed out of a piece of 4 x 1 timber using Rovex girder bridge sides and like the rest of the track is twin tracked. The mounting and operation of the bridge is going to be the fun part as what I don't want happening is the bridge to be in the up position and a full length express attempts the bridge the gap with alarming consequences.

Ian

Well I can see that it might be disheartening, but It's also a good canvas for more summer building! I love how elaborate your track work is with lots of switches... err... points I mean. Speaking of which how has your track held up?

i like the curved wall section, so i hope you get it sorted out and ready to run this summer. I wish I had a stone wall in my garden. Although my layout didn't get as abused as your wall section, I have been looking at my layout and I think I was too optimistic about my lumber as I didn't fully seal it. I am thinking of really painting it thick with some masonry paint.

Overall it looks like you just have a lot of debris that have fallen on the layout. A hand broom should get it looking the way it should fairly quickly.

how has your track held up

Considering that its been up and running since 2006 very well. Only a couple of sections have been replaced on the main bits, the only other major track replacement has been at the far end when the 180 degree curve was replaced with concrete sleepered track.

The points are also taking it pretty well, although one of two of them have lost the spring in the middle I have counteracted this but putting a nail on the outside of the switch part which holds the point in whichever position is required. Must at sometime get them redone so that the 'hand of god' isn't operating them.

It's also a good canvas for more summer building

Sure is

A hand broom should get it looking the way it should fairly quickly

Yes, and a quick cleaning of the track before any stock is allowed out, as always I run one of the older Tri-ang Jintys or 57xx around a few times also just to make sure that all track fishplates are still doing their job, if not just a quick matter of replacing them.

Ian

• 2 weeks later...

Quick inspection of the unfinished phase 3 build using recycled pallets, has found that the locoal cats have been using it as a walk way but fear not, not anymore, as yet another section has collasped and broken the bracket underneath as well. Must once the weather is better rip it all down and start that section rebuild again as stated previously.

Running night at the model railway club on Thursday night was a great success and the kids really loved it. I ran the following stock to some considerable amusement to most club members and the disapproval of a couple, but thats their problem.

A4 Pagent Mith (gwr green) with a rake of 6 br MK1 brown/cream GWR coaches

A3 Captain Cuttle (experimental dark blue) with rake of 9 br MK1 blue/greys

N2 LNER liveried with a rake of 15 vent vans

61XX praire with the goods stock

57XX with the goods stock

King George V in br blue with rake of 12 brown/cream GWR coaches

Tom with Ann and Clare

Ian

too busy running to take any pictures.................. 8-)

Thanks! *wretch* :mrgreen:

Actually i'm quite tolerant of the real thing. It's just the drool and glazed eye shoppers at the local train shows pawing at anything that like this...

eb_coal_loads_5651.jpgda ... s_5651.jpghttp://www.trainboard.com/railimages/data/1014/eb_coal_loads_5651.jpg' alt='URL>'>

Funny thing here. I know this guy from an N scale forum. He's making a massive layout of the mainline from Denver to points west on the D&RGW.

Rather like the 4 car drive unit and the colours not the bad either, just a shame that its not Union Pacific liveried.

This is what I am actually looking for at present to go behind my Union Pacific Big Boy, thinks about 12 assorted should look nice in tow,

Can make a good passenger train out of the link below

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=union+pacific+passenger+coaches&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=jDI&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=XPAVT9CyCoOt8QOb6JT_Aw&ved=0CCsQsAQ&biw=1024&bih=629" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ian