The Grockle Garden Railway

grockle

Time for an update as its now 6 months since I was last here.

Domestic's wise after daughter has tried doing what she wanted to do miles away from me, she is finally back home in Torbay for good. To say that I'm please would be the understatement of the year.

Not done anything on the GGR and at present haven't got the interest to do anything at present either. Instead I've been buying a few more loco's and rolling stock and trying to locate items required to finish off a couple of projects.

Had a couple of weekend's away to visit other railways including the Romney Hythe & Dymchurch Railway and The East Kent & Sussex Railway.

Ian

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Ian, good to see you are back on the forum again, you might get the interest back to power up the layout and run the new locos and wagons, what's the project you are working on, one good thing is you have your grand kids keeping you busy with your daughter moving back home.

I am pushing on with my layout started laying track down on the curved ply bases where the layout is in the car port, that is just about finished, one module to go which I am working on as well, gee takes time nailing track down on the curved sections, keep an eye out on my post for the big day getting closer but taking a bit longer than I expected.

do you know anything on the Lima German DB103 electric loco, a friend gave me one with out the motor, being trying to get powered 6 wheel trucks for yonks came across one on Italian eBay langrage was a bit of an issue because a lot of the words were translated, be here in a week and half now, that was two birthdays back, good timing, June in my birthday month.

I will be starting on a new project as well, building my own British network MPV loco out of two old DD40AX locos one is powered other a dummy has the od pan cake motor still runs but can only manage a few coaches up a grade, going to become my track cleaning locos, going to butchering on the loco shells.

Tony

Got a few projects on the go, all waiting for parts, mainly wheels from Bachmann. Been on back order now for over 12 months so I'm now looking at sourcing from elsewhere if possible.

Still can't raise any enthusium for sorting out the running issues on the GGR. Apart from loosing about 6 metres of track thanks to the back neighbour putting up a new fence after the last one blew down.

A few new items of rolling stock have found its way to me, but they haven't even been run on whats left of the GGR and thats around the shed. Even the shed needs looking at as its well past its best now, roof looking like a sieve.

Daughter and the grandkids are certainly keeping me busy most days, Nursery runs or shopping with daughter, I hardly seem to get any time to myself at present. Daughter wants to do a car boot this comming weekend so its time to dig the trailer out, clean the inside out and get it loaded for Sunday. Wonder how much this is going to cost me?

Ian

Hi Ian, yeah I have a few projects also on the go one day I will get to finish one :) yesterday I was working on a wind turbine blade for a train load, tried making them out of cardboard, trying to keep the costs down came up with an idea of using those aluminium cooking trays or the skin of the blade thinking being pretty thin would be flexible , not so.

Will have to have a different cradle when sitting on the spine cars, they are 20 inches long modelled on the 45metre turbine blade which still is a baby compared to the ones coming out today, I am using one I built out of cardboard as a mould to shape the aluminium, but first I had to flatten the groves in the aluminium flat, worked out well.

Always good to have new stuff arriving in the post, I am waiting for a lima pan cake replacement motor, should arrive next week, hopping to get the directional lights working again as well on the DB 103 Electric loco.

That's interesting about doing a car boot this weekend, we call them flee markets over here, can get some good bargains, I bought a model of the Mayflower sailing ship can't work out the scale, bought it for $10, like new good size, ready built model ships can be quite dear and nursery we call them either kindergarten and chid care centres.

Sad to hear you lost 6 feet because of the fence, did it do any damage to the layout, will you get the 6 feet back up , talking about going around your shed have seen any pics of that.

Be getting the track gang out again this weekend, 13 feet of curved double track down, a start, want to finish the car port end of the layout.

Happy modelling from down under, Tony

• 1 month later...

Done a quick survey of whats left of the GGR and its not looking good. Its all looking very very neglected and my MOJO just isn't there anymore at this time. Have seriously considered tearing it all up and maybe going back into the loft but thats full of crap at present.

Ian