The Grockle Garden Railway

grockle

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Must be my lucky day today, in town SWMBO does her weekly shoping which left me with a bit of time to have a wander around a few of the second hand and junk shops. Sat in the window of a curisoty shop were 5 steam loco's; an 0-4-0T US Tank engine; 0-6-0T Jinty, 0-6-0T SE&CR Class R1 Tank; 4-6-2 Britannia; 2-6-0 GWR 43XX.

Long shot is that he now only has 4 left as I bought the 43XX for £18. He did ask for £20 to start with but managed to knock a couple of quid off it as it came with no box. Not bad considering that its worth at least double what I payed for it.

Ian

http://www.bandhmodels.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_16_81&products_id=8226" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mine is in Br black but have had problems with it. The front bogie keeps derailing over every set of my points. Afer much scratching of brains, I think that I have finally solved the derailing issue. Underneed the bogie is a metal plate that is supposed to keep pressure on it to keep the wheels on the track, but it appears that it was also stopping the free movement of the bogie. Removed the plate and now it runs like new and NO derailing over any of my points.

Ian

http://www.bandhmodels.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_16_81&products_id=8226

Mine is in Br black but have had problems with it. The front bogie keeps derailing over every set of my points. Afer much scratching of brains, I think that I have finally solved the derailing issue. Underneed the bogie is a metal plate that is supposed to keep pressure on it to keep the wheels on the track, but it appears that it was also stopping the free movement of the bogie. Removed the plate and now it runs like new and NO derailing over any of my points.

Ian

I used have problems similar to that with my Hornby Royal Scot and it was brand new. The front bogie spring was tightened right up and after slackening it off a bit no more derailing. Mallard also had the same problem. My recently bought Schools loco is having the same problems but there's not screw in the bogie and I think it is the traction tyre that's causing the problem and will only be rectified if I fit a non traction tyred driving wheel. But where to get one without having to buy a complete loco chassis.

Roy.

When not working on the Grockle Garden Railway, I will probably be found here helping out in a small capacity at the Totnes end of this line. Normally in the 'Monster' looking after the Thomas & Friends model railway layout which was kindly donated to the SDR many years ago. It has recently undergone an overhaul of new track enabling all the track and points to be in full working order. Lighting has been added to the station canopy and it has working lights as well. Next job possibly is sound.

Will have to get permission to post pictures of the layout from the Totnes group manager.

http://www.southdevonrailway.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ian

• 5 weeks later...

A whole month with nothing going on. The wallet has been hammered again. This time was in one of Paigntons' Junk shops and found buried an Airfix Kit of a long defunct Railbus (Park Royal design I think). Was asking £35 for it but managed to knock him down to £20. Now its a case of finding the correct running chassis for it to get it motorised. Once the kit is made its going to have a different kind of paint job on it. Will say no more at present.

Ian

A whole month with nothing going on. The wallet has been hammered again. This time was in one of Paigntons' Junk shops and found buried an Airfix Kit of a long defunct Railbus (Park Royal design I think). Was asking £35 for it but managed to knock him down to £20. Now its a case of finding the correct running chassis for it to get it motorised. Once the kit is made its going to have a different kind of paint job on it. Will say no more at present.

Ian

Why didnt you buy the dapol one? or am I missing something?

Branchlines do a motorised chassis as do Hollywood foundry

am I missing something

Sure are, didn't want the newer stuff this was actually on the not so urgent wanted list for someone else after a club member from here http://www.sdmrs.org.uk/intro.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; came up with a suggestion in relation to the HS2 link between London and Birmingham. I can't say much more than that at present because if I did it would give the game away as to what the final look is going to be.

Ian

• 5 weeks later...

Went to a car boot last week and found a very nice Airfix castle which I ended up buying for £12. Not one of my favourite Manufacturers but at that price must not complain. Took in home test run it and then sold it straight away to a friend of mine and no I did not bump the price up. Was going to put it in the car boot stock, but it never made it that far.

Ian

Ian

Why didnt you buy the dapol one? or am I missing something?

Branchlines do a motorised chassis as do Hollywood foundry

Why not wait a bit for the Heljan one.

Roy.

The reasons behind purchasing the old Airfix Railbus is quite simple really. As this is going to have a new paint job that will not be done by any of the major manufacturers it would be a crime to butcher a newer RTR model.

Ian

• 1 month later...

Maintenance, maintenance, maintenance, absolutly sick of it, cleared the tools away, cleaned the track and run trains was the oder of the day yesterday. Well it would have been but for a need to replace track in the most akward of places, the tunnel area into the shed. Murphy's Law strikes again. After sometime getting that all sorted the GGR is now up and running properly. A few fishplates needed replaceing, 3 actually, not bad considering that hardly anything has been run over the last 12 months, Moved a few structures around on the main station platform, and rebuild the trackwork around the branch line, as it never looked correct or seemed to work properly.

Next job is the get the camera clicking with more pictures of a running session and what can be viewed on the GGR.

Ian

Some pictures taken over the last couple of days

from yesterday

[album]902[/album][album]903[/album][album]904[/album][album]905[/album][album]906[/album]

and from today's running session

[album]907[/album][album]908[/album][album]909[/album]

Ian

No trains today, as it rained overnight and now got to clear the track of all the tree debris and the like, wait for the track to dry out, as water and electric don't mix well. Instead will be in the shed doing some much needed maintenance on the loco fleet.

Ian