The Grockle Garden Railway

grockle

Hello all,

Some of you may have already come across me on other forums, so the next bit is going to be the boring part.

My name is Ian and I am the Fat Controller of the Grockle Garden Railway, which is a 00 gauge layout who's origins started in the loft of my current house, but due to a nasty accident of falling though the open loft hatch, it was decided that it would be better situated in the shed, Fine for a while but as always space was not available to exspand so a decision was made in 2005 that an extension would be made to run outside in the graden just up the one side. This was done and in 2006 the first train was test run around the outside section. All good but it was getting boring so it was decided that a further extension was required and the decision was made to make a complete circuit of the garden. Work has been very very slow due to ill health so at present for the last couple of years nothing has really been done to extend the current track layout outside. Sometime in the futuer this will be finished as not only myslef but other 00 gauge modellers want to run their stock around the garden and they have offered to help with the construction of the permanent way, just leaving me with the design of the bridge to sort out.

Rolling stock consists of about 100 locomotive, mostly steam, an excess of 100 coaches in most liveries covered by the steam era with one exception, I will not run any 'Southern Muck' and goods wagons in excess of 280, mostly vent vans with the owners own livery on them and no duplicates either.

The layout is DC using a couple of Hammond and Morgan 'Duettes' as these have the necessary power clout when running outside, and enabling me to double head as and when required.

Ian

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Grockle, as no one else has yet to reply I shall so WELCOME TO THE FORUM'. I'm Roy and I live on the other side of the world. I too like pommy trains in OO and run what you call 'southern muck' amongst BR, GWR, LMS LNER and green liveried diesels from the 1960's I use NCE DCC Wireless Remote.

Roy.

Well fancy seeing you here :roll::lol: I only found out about the forum myself yesterday via a link on the small scale garden railways yarhoo group. Carn't imagin who tipped you off! ;)

At least I posted in the welcome section ( dons tin hat and looks for smiley of man on bike!)

Anyway good to see you made it ok. :roll:;)

...No worries about the layout not being quite done as no one here has a finished layout...

With the possible exception of the Kirkfield & Warmthorpe that is, although no doubt IanR would have something to say about that. Other than that I agree that almost every other layout featured here is either under construction or still in the planning stages.

I have to admit that of all the big four regions I wasn't too keen on Southern loco's either but I have mellowed a bit now and find one or two of them very desirable.

Looking forward to seeing pics of the indoor and outdoor set up

Mick I agree, I bet if you asked about the K&W he'd say it's not done either. ;)

You've got twinkle lights for night running, I have a box of those that need to go up on my layout as well. Oh oh I spy american outline, santa fe streamliner no less. Looks to possibly be an Alco shark nose too.

I noticed the roll over railings for protection. I need to get some of those up on my layout too before I have a tragic accident.

So far I see a layout where you can roll some trains and get that happy drooly train feeling. Seems your doing it all to garden railway ethos, have fun and keep the rivet counters at bay; preferably with a big stick! :mrgreen:

Weather report for Devon and in particular my area, Cold very cold so will be running in the shed today.

Now what shall I run. all ready on track is

1. King class 'King George V' in br blue with a rake of 13 MK1 blue/grey coaches.

2. King class 'King Edward 1' in GWR green with a rake of 12 MK1 GWR brown/cream coaches.

3. A3 'Blink Bonny' in br green with a rake of 10 Pullman coaches (the older Tri-ang/Hornby version 65ft).

4. Duchess class 'Duchess of Norfolk' LMS liveried with a rake of 10 MK1 br Maroon coaches.

On sidings and ready to run are 4 rakes of 15 to 25 vent vans with appropriate loco's to suit including 3 x 5F's, 2 x N2's, 2 x 9F's,

4MT Standard, Ivatt, plus 2 x Jinty's, 3 x 57xx's.

Decisions, decisions, decisions.

Ian

Frist off, whats a grockle?

Its West Country slang for a holiday maker.

Yes had a good running session in the shed but did not get any of the goods stock out, going to leave that for another day instead.

haven't run anything outside now for about 4 months due to the bad weather and other family commitments.

Ian