Bachmann 31-650T, Class 47 Diesel 'The Queen Mother'

mick

BACHMANN 31-650T

CLASS 47 DIESEL 47541

'THE QUEEN MOTHER'

SCOTRAIL

queen1.jpg

I've been waiting for the release of an Inter City liveried class 47 with yellow cab roofs for some time and had already acquired a rake of Inter City coaches while they were being sold at 'bargain' prices. It was my intention to purchase the standard Bachmann loco 'Titan' until I saw the limited edition 'The Queen Mother' advertised by Rails of Sheffield. Although the Rails issue is in Scotrail livery rather than the standard Inter City I couldn't resist and despite the rather steep price in comparison, I'm really pleased that I didn't. With its yellow cab roofs, Highland Stag motif and set of snowploughs it looks simply stunning, especially so against a background of snow.

queen2.jpg

The photographs above are of the locomotive in 'straight out of the box' condition with no additional detailing parts added. In fact, I've yet to look at what exactly is offered. On track it performs brilliantly, even in the very cold and wet conditions it was exposed to today.

Several years ago whilst working for British Rail, I arrived back on shed early one morning to find an Inter City liveried class 47 with yellow cab roofs had come on shed for fuel. It was the first time I had seen a class 47 in that livery and it looked superb under the yard floodlights. I'd been used to nothing but rail blue class 56's and this 47 simply oozed power and speed. I'm not so sure it would have lived up to my expectations of it (in my experience 47s were terribly noisy and extremely uncomfortable) but since that day I've always wanted a model just like that and it's taken me some years but finally it's here. This model looks just as good as my memories of the real thing all those years ago.