Rossi Railways in the sun

Rossi

Posted some oldie pixs on the gallery. Thought it might bring a few memories back whilst some of you (it appears) are unfortunately going into hibernation.(Weather wise I mean!)

Also, gets us onto a brighter subject after the drawn out "contents of images on the site" debate.

Below is a decrepit, badly focussed picture taken at Doncaster, but it shows the innocence of youth.

I think it is a V2, and judging by the size of the nameplate, probably 60872 "The Kings Own Yorkshire Light Infantry."

PIC_0502.JPG.daad1963382b19b27cbbca5ef0435d01.JPG

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Great photo Rossi, taken just down the road from me too. I've seen some others that you've posted in the gallery and wondered if you'd taken these yourself as I don't think any of them actually say. If you did then judging by the locations of the photos it would seem you got about a bit during your spotting days. This one doesn't unfortunately bring back any memories for me as I wasn't lucky enough to experience much of the steam era - it was there but I just never really noticed it.

You're right about the hibernation bit. I've moaned for all I was worth about the persistent rain during last year and now we've got sub-zero temps and snow. Whose idea was it to go with a garden railway?

Not sure why you are being so critical. It's a beautiful engine and a very interesting shot. I would love to see a larger version of it. The guy standing in the middle is doing something. It's like a story to me. I want to know what happened in this moment.

I guess I will have to go look at your gallery now.

Oh, you will be amused by this. Yesterday I needed a train moment. i ended up finding your scheduled train movements video on youtube and rewatched it. You will have to share what your schedule looks like. I'm curious about this operation list of yours. :)

mick said:

You're right about the hibernation bit. I've moaned for all I was worth about the persistent rain during last year and now we've got sub-zero temps and snow. Whose idea was it to go with a garden railway?

I went for a garden railway because although I've got a big house none of the rooms is big enough for a railway, and there's no attic because it was built as three rooms for the servants (!). Rather than hibernating, I've started building some etched kits. This isn't the thread to talk about those, however, and I don't know how interested people may be for me to start a thread.

"Great photo Rossi, taken just down the road from me too. I've seen some others that you've posted in the gallery and wondered if you'd taken these yourself as I don't think any of them actually say."

Mick,

Yes, all my own pixs. Many lost over the years but still have a good assortment.

I was never into photography, hence the amateur efforts and all done on some cheap camera of the time.

Griff...(train movements)

Just a bit of extra enjoyment I get after watching them run around for an hour.

I'm still working on a timetable of sorts where I can set the stock up in certain places and then run some actual train movements.

While I'm on here:

DIVERSION OF ALL RAILWAY MOVEMENTS UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE AS CIVIL ENGINEERING TAKES PLACE.

I think Ian(Grockle) actually made me get off my backside and dig in...so to speak.

It coincided with my Good Buddy deciding to extend his stay over here for another four weeks, and after a few wines and beers I explained the problem with the viaduct scenario about to be built behind those Yuka trees.

Bazzer took on a thoughtful mode as he surveyed the situation, then went around with a tape measure (and 3 pens in his top pocket) and said...

"Why not build it in front of the trees?"

Well...

I looked at the situation and shook my head. The problems with adapting and hacking at some roots all but disappeared. Just needed another brain on the job.

Simple.

So, all it needed was a little more thought and a bit of movement on the track layout.

Or so I thought.

As usual, the little bit of upheaval became bigger as we dug in, and a decision was made to go further back and lift more of the layout. Plus a slighter different rail plan. As Mrs Rossi is out for the day, it means I have to "get a move on." Pronto

Pixs below show why.

PIC_0815.JPG

FatCat can't stand being too far away from the action.

PIC_0819.JPG

Originally, just the tunnel section was coming out, but the best laid plans of mice and men!
More to follow...

Rossi said:

Bazzer took on a thoughtful mode as he surveyed the situation, then went around with a tape measure (and 3 pens in his top pocket) and said...

"Why not build it in front of the trees?"

Now that you've shown the photos. Your new solution is sheer genius. I have a lot of times when I get pinned on an idea. I just can't shake it, and then it's time for a forehead slap as I come up with the obvious simple solution. HAHA :lol::lol::lol: I feel so stupid when I do that. Good thing you have a visiting engineer on your layout. :D

Quick update.

Turn around/Tunnel base now in situ.(Spelling correct?)

Rules of the authorities: Garden water taps have to stay, plus bougainvillea bush/tree must remain.

Hence the engineering work had to adapt.

What a headache...but done.

PIC_0833.JPG.9f92e6bc47f413d68525c8b1b96af3f1.JPG

RE your DCC back to DC dilema. You can change the settings on the decoder to run on DC and DCC or just DCC. On the Hornby Elite its pretty straightforward. I have no experience with other controllers. My advice would be to leave the decoders in, just in case you get a 2nd wind!