• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Griff,

re the sunshine etc.

As I've posted in the past, the sun creates havoc with the track sleepers, eventually peeling away from the rails. It's something I've now accepted and I'm always trying to come up with a new idea which may elongate the time margin before replacing.

Previous pages show my project with foam underlay. reports will follow!

Structures?

Tried all sorts of materials, but cardboard (which I've varnished heavily) does succumb to severe warping especially when we have rain followed by intense sunshine. There's no way around this and I refuse to keep taking the houses inside after any operating session.

PIC_0449.JPG

You can see the cardboard bent at the corners, but I have to say this particular model has been out in the elements for about eight months, so I cant really grumble.
Now, here is a difference. These following two pictures show plastic models and they have been in situ for about two years.

PIC_0447.JPG

PIC_0452.JPG

You can see the amount of dust, mostly accumulated from the recent problems with the forest fires (mentioned a few pages back). I had to clean most of the railway to shift the stuff but as you can see, there are still pockets of it here and there, which of course the camera always finds!
No warping with any of the plastic buildings at all, but even better,(if I could only find more...) these stone structures live through anything.

PIC_0448.JPG

So, that's the run down on the buildings, if only I could find a solution to the track. Although, having said that, for the last month or two I've started keeping two sun parasols along the edge of the railway, shading a lot of the track. Can't think why I never thought of this years back!

Griff,

The varnish over the tracks has definitely helped, and, no, I don't paint the inside of the buildings.It may help, but at the moment I've got a long list of chores to do on the railway, and they get even bigger after a photo session...The camera never lies!

I decided to set up a video shoot of how I remember sitting on stations waiting for trains to come in. (The old trainspotting syndrome).Especially the tantalising seconds when a signal went up and you eagerly strained your eyes for the oncoming loco. Also, the running to and fro across the footbridge to other platforms to get a better view...No wonder the Station Authorities sometimes tired of our antics.

After I viewed this latest video, I realised the sad and run-down state of the platforms. (A major overhaul is needed of the surface area).

So...new track to be found, platforms to be renewed, gradients to adjust, and, oh yes, the inside painting of some buildings! (And I'm also toying with the idea of some sort of timetable sequence after doing this video. I remember reading some thoughts on timetable movement in the forum somewhere...was it Chris on Amblethorpe?).

Once again, apologies on the film with those chattering budgies, but with two of the nest boxes full with eggs, a trip to the pet shop with a clutch of babies is not far off...and all profit goes to the Rossi Railway in the Sun!

Love the video. Strange how much bigger the layout looks when viewed from across the platforms as opposed to the photos seen previously. Also, whilst DCC sound has its advantages there's nothing really quite like the clickety-clack over the rail joins.

I sympathise with your problems of the sleepers deteriorating in the sunshine but at least having the problem of needing to shade them from the sun is preferable to having to protect everything from the constant rains. You said you've been using parasols to shade - have you looked at those cloth 'shade sails' which might be even better?

Cheers Mick about the video. As I said, the camera manages to pick out all the rough edges of a layout, making even more jobs to be done.

Yesterday, I found word had got 'round about the layout and a friend phoned me to make a meeting in a bar. (Dressed and hair brushed in two minutes flat!...Well hair didn't take too long.)

His first words were, "Buy me a pint and you can have what's in this bag."

Apparently he'd spent a week back in England and rummaged about in his old belongings and Hey Presto!

"Thought of you, and it's all yours if you want it."

Had to buy him a few more pints after I'd opened the bag.

PIC_0534.JPG

PIC_0536.JPG

Don't really know much about this model, but it's made by Jouef.

It has the letters SNCF on the side bodywork and the number 72001. I'm presuming it's a Swiss loco.

Got it home and yes, it does run, although it produces a far greater rate of noise than the newer models I have.
Guess that's another invite being put out to the next BBQ !!!

That's a French loco. Nice one too. Did it come with cars or just the loco? Oh, you should notice a difference in size between it and your brit outline stuff as the SNCF is most probably HO scale.

I posted a lima and a jouef catalog link on this site. You should find it in there.

I just had another peek at it. With those metal grab irons and the decal on the front end I'd wager it's a Jouef. Probably a rubber belt drive if it's older, very smooth running actually. ( I just re-read what you wrote. In my first skim through I missed the part where you say it's jouef. But I do know my european makers. LOL)

moving aright along... (edit. edit)

They have a newer model version in that catalog. Looking at your picture also gives it away. CC72000 seems to be what you have. They seem to list by wheel arrangement and model number; C being a bogie with 3 axles, B would be 2 axles. it seems it was used in the 1970's-90's being what they call epoche IV because of when it was built. It's a nice looking beast you got there.

You can find real ones on this site: http://www.railfaneurope.net/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Go into the site and then when you get to the train pictures section, click the french flag on the left side bar.

Your last comment about putting it next to the BBQ makes me near tears. It's such a beauty and I know that of you open it up and apply some plastic safe lube to it, it'll be smooth and a real nice runner.

Oops!

You're correct Griff. French not Swiss.

My command of the English language must have gone strangely awry (especially as I make a small living out of using it) for you to think I was putting the loco on the Barby.

I meant an invite for the donor to attend an official running of his gift at our next get-together (BBQ). (See previous pixs of friends/relatives wanting to run the trains.)

Yes, it runs pretty slowly to say it's probably been boxed away for years...The engine, not the BBQ!!!

Let's leave it at that.

Oh,..PS Griff,

Love those station lamps.

(Plus we must surely be due a video...? Yes?)

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Rossi, I'm just having a browse around because I've been so wrapped up trying to get my 'Oakdale Valley' up & running that I've lost track a bit

with everyone else's current developments. Like Mick says, this climate thing is a bit of a double edged sword, I'm beginning to wonder which is worse... heat or wet & I've not even laid my track yet.

You mention that your SNCF Loco runs pretty slow which is no doubt due to the fact that it's dried out in storage. I don't presume you don't know what to do or that everyone else agrees but my own method is this.

I have just purchased a couple of 2nd hand loco's which obviously had the same problem although guaranteed 'runners' and I stripped them down, cleaned & oiled them then set them running against a stop block for 10/20 minutes in each direction which in my case has shown them to be smooth runners that just needed a bit of 'exercise' & TLC....... Sometimes of course they can be more problematical. Good luck with it anyway, certainly an interesting addition to the fleet eh.

Brian.

Just browsed through the forum for a couple of minutes.

Not been posting for a while...A very dear friend has been spending the last few weeks over here and sadly the medical news has not been good..So I have different priorities at the moment.

But on a brighter note, I do have a few up dates on the railway, and will start in the next week or so.

I'll take your advice on the French loco by the way Brian.

Just some comments on the Jouef.

1. It is probably a belt drive. Do not use oils or grease that aren't plastic safe on this or the splatter may ruin the belt.

2. My jouef from the same time period actually has the mechanism glued into the loco. I didn't bother trying to take it apart for a repair due to this fact. Maybe when it breaks.

3. The one I have seems to be geared to run slower but smoother than my other locos.

Sorry to hear that Rossi & yes, sometimes we have to get our priorities in order.

I don't have Griff's knowledge of Jouef but have to agree entirely with his comments so when it comes to using oil, I read somewhere that if you can see it, you have used too much so be very careful as I would not like you to damage that loco based on my advice. Even if not using oil though, I find that my Loco's at the moment get quite sluggish because they are restricted to short stop/start trips on my 'end to end' which is not beneficial(like a car no doubt). Hopefully they will 'enjoy' the continuous run once my garden railway is completed. My thoughts are with you & your friend.

Brian.

Sad news is never far away Rossi and the older we get the more it seems we encounter it. Of course the things we do for our own enjoyment have to take a back seat at times while the more important things in our lives take precedent. We do of course hope that things turn out well and that you're able to be back with some layout updates very soon. Thoughts are with you both.

• 1 month later...

Well, a couple of bad months, friends wise, as I mentioned earlier. For someone to depart at an age of 55 years is ever so sad.(32 year friendship ended so quickly). Fortunately my other "good Buddy" will arrive here this week for a three week holiday...but sadly his "MOT" is not good.

But...It sounds so frivolous to say it...But, life goes on around us. So to bring some cheerful notes to the end of the year, I'll drop a few hints about the railway.

A planning permission order has been granted by Mrs Rossi, and for those of you who know the format of my layout, this means an extension. (Albeit small).

I'll feed a few more details after the Christmas break, suffice to say that the following photo might tantalise.

Santa did an early drop today...and I've decided to join the "windmill and bridge brigade".

PIC_0723.JPG

A little bit of work has started at the top end. Biggest problem is those damned Yuka trees!

PIC_0574.JPG

Also, whilst digging out festive decorations, I stumbled upon an old box. Couple of pixs of Triang and Hornby relics from way back when.

PIC_0691.JPG

PIC_0702.JPG

PIC_0709.JPG

Posed photo's...and no, I didn't subject it to the "juice". Might be tempted to dismantle it and look at the innards, although the wheels show signs of corrosion.

Again, sorry for not posting for a couple of months, but I suspect, plenty to follow shortly.
Have a great festive period to everyone on the site.
Cheers!

Some lovely 'Time Travel' pictures there & good luck with the 'extension'. I think most of us in the UK have come to a complete standstill now due to the miserable wet weather ........ Thinking of getting a model boat of some description as I would have no difficulty finding water for it!!

Have a good Christmas & here's to a better 2013.

Brian.

So sorry to hear about your friend Rossi. I'm almost the same age myself but I'd like to believe there's plenty more years left in me yet so when you hear of someone not making it beyond that age it makes you realise just how fortunate you are and how fragile life is at times. But as you say, as difficult and painful as a personal loss can be, life itself just goes on and we have to learn to move along with it - it's not easy.

I am absolutely thrilled to see the beginnings of what looks like a (lengthy) viaduct and to see your chosen method of construction. You wouldn't believe how pleased I am to see that. Go on, tell me you've had those blocks mailed out to you :D

Mick,

Eleven pieces all together.

I've searched high and low for something that would resemble a viaduct type construction, but only came up with some ornamental ballastrades at various plaster merchants.

We do not have the breeze blocks like you managed with, so in a moment of madness I took some photos of your construction and asked the local builders yard if they could come up with a mould of sorts to roughly look like the photos.

So, they pondered a bit and then said come back tomorrow and we'll show you some sketches. Duly done, all satisfied...and then the price.

If Mrs Rossi ever finds out the correct price...well, we'll leave that alone. Suffice to say that I may not be ordering from Hattons for a few months.

I think there was talk of wrapping them up and putting them under the Christmas tree.

PS. Ordering the blocks was the easy bit. As I mentioned, the trees with their bulging roots are the big problem. I've also got to come up with a solution of allowing growth of the trunks at ground level.

Keeps us out of mischief though!

Seemed like a good idea at the time.

• 3 weeks later...

Progress report.

Nothing!

The VIADUCT is taking on proportions of the Ribblehead thingy.

A bit more forward planning was really needed. I keep looking at the intended groundwork to be done and then walking away to find something else to do.

The blocks need to sit comfortably at the back of those Yukka trees but I didn't really assess the problem with the roots. I've chiselled away at some of the bottom of the trees trying somehow to narrow the extent of the growth towards the wall but all to no avail. It looks as though I've got to elevate slightly above the roots. I'm thinking of some kind of metal cable tray running the length of the back which will clear the protruding roots, then cement it all in and then place the VIADUCT things on top.

Even so, to start the work it means ripping out the back end of the layout, (tunnel area)thus rendering the layout out of service for a while. Problem is, in the next few weeks we have family and guests coming over and under no circumstances will I be allowed to have a "cement factory" encamped outside the kitchen doors.

SO...Don't mention VIADUCTS for a while!

By the way, I remember someone joining the forum and asking about weathering the rails. All the advice was to let Mother nature take the strain.

If you scroll backwards on this site you will notice the photo's of some Hornby tin plate coaches on my layout. In front you can see some new lengths of track laid up to some old pointwork. Notice the difference.

As we've said, that is one job you can rest easy on.

I wouldn't over think it too much. Maybe the viaduct would be easier somewhere else. Perhaps a single line should run the circumference of the garden. If the wife goes on a long shopping trip... or if she goes to visit a relative... Well, you know, once the lines are in it would be a shame to to them out. ;) ha ha

Good to see you back by the way.