Rossi Railways in the sun

Rossi

Not sure if I an do a track-plan(essex2visuvesi). Maybe if I do a rough sketch on paper and photo copy it...

I know a lot of you will be stuck in doors for a couple of winter months, so not much to show on the site. I wondered if you would allow me to let you know of my next fiddly bits on the railway. I'm not sure whether it will come across as boring, but here goes.

Two days ago I came across a couple of double slip crossovers (Peco), one still boxed, one used. I must have enabled one of them on my last layout many years ago. Now, I know we keep using the words "keep it simple" but after fondling and admiring the machine work of the pointwork I thought....what if?

PIC_0057.JPG

As I've mentioned earlier, I really need to get to grips with the track entering the main station. Over the months it has had "temporary" pieces of cork base inserted at strategic places to allow smooth running. It really all needs to be lifted and re-laid.

PIC_0054.JPG

PIC_0055.JPG

I want to use a measured one piece of thin ply (treated heavily with preservative paint) to cover the area of point work and original decking.
The single slip will go just to the left of the class 31 (at the signal) replacing the old turnout. It will actually save a couple of points which can be removed.
My sensible head keeps saying don't use anything complicated. But then, the little bit of bravado keeps surfacing. I was actually wondering if I could use the other slip as well...Maybe not. One step at a time!
The more I look at the roughness of the station approach the more determined I am to start work. Sometimes you don't actually see things until a couple of photos show their ugly heads.
May have to get the set of gangers to assist...

PIC_0019.JPG

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I love updates like this. I came on here expecting the usual silence of winter, yet here is some progress. Hooray!

If I had some double slip switches.... err... points, I would use them on my layout too. Complicated track is always pleasing to run on.

Questions:

1. Do you use cork throughout the layout or just as shims to level track?

2. Is the track you are having trouble with over a joint between planks. Is that why it gives you trouble?

3. In the shot of your point work, those points are very sharp radius. Do trains have trouble there because of curves created by the points?

On my layout I have decided to use longer points to avoid the problems with full speed trains hitting sudden sharp curves. I also noticed that having double facing points, like you do, means your trains are having to negotiate the dreaded S curve all the train books warn you about. I like the way they look, and at slow speed they are fine, but I could see where trains will get into a tough situation running those at higher speed.

Love all the track in the plan, especially the passing sidings so that lots of trains can be parked all over the layout.

TGB...

Some answers for you, and,yes, you are very observant !!!

First: Big, big mistake from the oft with cork sheets.

On the left side (station etc, under semi cover) I used a 6x4 piece of wood as a base (approx). I then painted it several times and then had the wonderful idea of covering it all over with cork sheeting. (Like you read in Railway Modeller Magazine for silent running). Recently I noticed small "bubbles" appearing where either the original wood had started to warp or the cork sheeting had somehow broken away from its glue. This has given a few problems, especially in the tunnel area where I've had to try and scrape away the cork and replace it with very thin ply wood. I fear my troubles are not over, as I have this recurring nightmare of re doing all the station area base eventually.

I do use bits of cork to slightly move track to different elevations if I notice a derailing happening regularly. These measures have been temporary, but as is often the case, now in situ permanently. My idea was to insert cork as an aid to good running and then spray the area so it wasn't noticeable. Extreme sun dries out the cork eventually and it breaks away, so it is definitely not the answer. The answer is getting the original foundation correct in the first place. (Easier said than done).

Second: The track at the station throat.

This is set on three planks (decking) and is mainly on a high level (crossing the underneath main lines). It was secured on wooden buttresses and then for extra adornment supported by an array of plastic piers (Airfix types) that I had lying about in an old railway box. Over time the plastic bits have been snapped away...usually due to the cat trying to manoeuvre himself into the tunnel area and I have not supplemented the support they were giving. Hence a little movement has taken place where the girder bridge can be seen. This of course has a knock on effect with the track and points. Now you can see why there has been an influx of cork wedges in this area.Temporary measure again.

Third: The sharp radius points you can see were used for necessity (the only ones available in the track box) and they are about to be removed. That first crossing between main lines is never used so it is redundant to requirements. Most of the other points are medium radius. They look much better and would be used all the time but friends bring us over all types of track work from car boot sales and we have to be grateful for small mercies.

Points by the way are like gold dust at the moment. I've just noticed another one have its blades break away from the metal contact, so into the bin with that. Another problem is the snapping of the tiny spring which gives the positive throw of the point blades. Happens a lot. I've smeared a little vaseline underneath a few to see if it ensures a longer life time. I can see it attracting dirt and sand...but once again...never thought of that at the time !

Might try and talk the Household authorities to let me ship over a bundle of track and some points from Hattons, but she is still getting over my Christmas and birthday presents...she actually got the bank statement yesterday. HOW MUCH !!!

ps...Its just started raining (first drops for months), so on with the new sheet covering and trackwork on hold.

Well...I'm going all up tech now.

Had a bash at putting a video on Youtube. The cam corder said it can be done in two easy steps.

Mmm...five hours later I managed to upload a couple of minutes footage.

I've tried running the address to it but all to no avail. Maybe another couple of hours and I'll fathom it all out. (Where is my grandson when I need him?)

If anyone wants a try at the film I think you can find it by entering Youtube and putting in words: Rossi garden railway.

No music on it, just the sound of a railway operating in the evening.

This is the link I think.

I like it! Left you note on the video. I am definitely anti music. I think it distracts from the experience of hearing the trains themselves.

If it's any consolation, I worked in the TV industry for 25 years. I still have trouble with this stuff. It doesn't make sense to me. i have to do something 3 times before I get it right and even then half of this digital stuff somehow changes and makes it hell to get it to work again. My Ipod touch won't work with my computer, it's a complete hassle. I have pics of my new loco and i can't get it off the damn ipod. LOL

Great vid. i watched it twice already. I think those rope lights add a nice touch. I plan to do lighting like that as well.

-----------------------

Scratch that, make it 4 or 5 views now. I also posted it on some other forums I visit.

i noticed you have some bridges on the upper deck that look home made. how did you make those? i like the look of them. Very simple but the layers make them look good enough to fit the bill on my layout.

• 2 weeks later...

To TGB,

the girder bridge on the high level is an old bit of kit from years ago. Embossed on the side is the name Triang, but further along it says Rovex which takes us way back in time. Still standing though.

Managed to get down to work on the revamping of the station approach pointwork. Bigger job than at first envisaged...as usual. Some pixs to show it all.

The double slip was going to be the problem, so I tested it in situ first.

PIC_0059.JPG

Then came the stripping out of all the track and points. Heartbreaking at first. "If its not broke, don't fix it" is the old saying.

PIC_0061.JPG

Got the slip in place and decided to add the other one which I'd found."In for a penny in for a pound" The theory was that the two of them would save on pointwork.

PIC_0063.JPG

All things coming along nicely, if a touch slower than at first thought.

PIC_0064.JPG

I realised that most of the station would also benefit from a makeover....so onwards we go...

PIC_0065.JPG

Then came one of the set backs. Part of the old track started lifting and I had to chisel out old budgie grit and varnish (which when first laid did a good impression of track ballast) and also made me "knock off" for an hour or so for refreshments at the local bar!

PIC_0068.JPG

The next pixs show an almost end product. There are bits to tidy up, but at least running was back to normal with the added thrill of new pointwork. It's now noticeable that I think I may have to carry on with track maintenance a little further. Although I intend to see how this new bit beds in.

PIC_0069.JPG

PIC_0074.JPG

PIC_0073.JPG

It looks good. As i looked at your pictures I couldn't help but notice all the nice plants on the layout. I need to get potted plants on and around my layout this summer. Greening really adds a nice touch.

Re-sealing sounds like a good plan. i'd hate to lift all of my track to reseal, but now you have me thinking I should consider it. Is your issue there moisture or sun? I know you get a sort of monsoon season, or is it hurricanes? How is it the rest of the time?

-----

I forgot to ask: how do the trains run on the new switches?

TGB,

trains run alright through the new point work. Some of the old carriages seem to rock and roll a bit, but there is an alternative route through the station avoiding the double slips if need be.

Biggest problem with the weather? Definitely the sun. Constant hours on the rails tends to give the rails too much expansion. The rain....(when it comes-last week we had an hour of drizzle, making me think the storms were about to descend-but no)...does come in the form of tropical thunderstorms, but none as yet. Strange.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Couldn't really find a slot to drop this topic in...(Not really a topic come to think of it). But, I came across this railway hat which was acquired a while ago by my son off the Ebay site. I was wondering if any forum users could identify the pictures below, or give any info on it. Is it a British Rail hat from a decade or two back or is it foreign? It has been well used, but even now, the musty smell still lingers.

Are there any sites that can help trace railway artefacts?

PIC_0102.JPG

PIC_0101.JPG

PIC_0100.JPG

It looks like the logo I see on British rails models. I don't know a thing about it, but it's very smart looking with all that gold thread.

Museums put things in the freezer for 72 hours to make sure there are no bugs living and eating in there. You might try putting it in a plastic bag in the freezer just to help preserve it.

Certainly looks like British Rail to me. The Lion & Wheel is typical of the BR period.

Back in the early 1980s I had a standard guards cap very similar in style but not so ornately adorned as the one pictured here. My cap had just the standard double arrow logo in white on a red background. It's my guess that this is a conductor, possibly senior conductor, although for once Google doesn't appear to offer much assistance with this one.

Seems to fit into some of the replies. As I said,my son bought it off Ebay as a pressy for me but refuses to say how much, only saying there were a lot of bidders.

As for placing it in the freezer(TGB)...well, I'm not the one to tell my Better Half!

Station Masters hat sounds good. I do actually seem to be bathed with aloofness when I wear it...and that's just flicking through the TV channels!

Well that's how you deal with things like that. I learned it from my sister and later saw a documentary about how museums fight pests. Museums put things in plastic bags in the freezer. My recent visit to the natural history museum the curator said he put his bug collections in freezers for a week at a time. :o:lol: