Rossi Railways in the sun

Rossi

Been meaning to do something with this end of the railway for a while (since the last upheaval). Top end, next to main station.

Progressive afternoon. Still loads to do (like the tunnel mouth area) and landscape the far wall where the road disappears to!

village3.jpg

And this one. 

newvillage.jpg

Time for drink poos now!

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Griff,

Sorry. missed a reply.

Don't use roofing felt. front of Rly is a type of breeze block, so no more warps!

Station area now some type of plastic/regurgitated wood thingy. Saw it in the DIY place and thought it would do the trick. So far so good.

Hope you're keeping well...and get modelling!!!

Hi Rossi, nice lot collection of trains, I don't have any of them, only have Thomas and two Flying Scots and the Bachman Virgin 5 car DMU set, want the Sister train called Doctor Who, very close to our latest EMU city train sets.

The village is awesome, is it finished, are they the kits from your village mags, have you finished collecting them??? After seeing your village I have found an area on my layout to have one, will become a branch line as well and looking into rack rail tracks as the line will be steep, possible narrow gauge, project after my layout is up and running, working on the spiral nearly finished ready for painting and track.

The mornings are getting cooler my side of the world, winter not far away, got to get the spiral out the way before it does get too cold and the westerly winds arrive, my train club's big train show next weekend, got a good job manning the exit, will be buying a couple of 86ft box cars and two more container car well wagons sets.

Tony from down under.

• 2 weeks later...

Flowers coming out all over the railway. Splendid, and I'm no "green fingers"

trains2.jpg

Old canal now gone 'cos it was looking tatty after a year or so.
Guess what? Another one takes its place!

trains1.jpg

Sea breeze getting up, so time to finish maintenance and take a beer!!!!

Thought about this for a while now...How to break up the viewing more on the railway.

Trains appearing and disappearing. So...

Voila! A bridge over the main station (as in real life).

tunnel.jpg

Left over wood, glue and a good imagination and it all comes together (a la Blue Peter) Griff may not get that one!!

tunnel2.jpg

tunnel3.jpg

Seems to work, anyway.

This part of the railway has been neglected for far too long. Varnished/painted chip board disintegrated (never use this stuff out of doors!).

Amazingly, it never gave problems with the running but after seeing videos, my mind was made up...especially with visitors coming.

oldcorner.jpg

We have spoke about the maintenance aspect of outdoor modelling, and for any new comers, I think it's necessary to first of all accept the ongoing and never ending work. Also, it stops us getting board with the old scenery.
I also wanted to take out the severe "S" bend leaving the viaduct.
Below, shows a somewhat gentler curve as the pairs of lines diverge...and a tidier situation.

newcorner.jpg

And just to show the dedication of visitors, our good friend Tom couldn't wait to get a paint brush going at the station end.

tompainter.jpg

And the pay was good...The going rate of bottles of healthy Reina beer.

I've enjoyed watching this one evolve during its time on the forum and it continues to improve with each posting. You're right to ease the curve away from the viaduct - not only does it give improved running but, as you'll no doubt be aware, it also improves the visual aspect. Looks much better now.

It was also good timing with the renovation - you got a great backscene! Well done to Tom.

Wise words of advice too for newcomers to OO gauge outdoors - whether in the sun or not quite so fortunate. Whatever the climate it's a continual process keeping things running at their best but there's no reason why that can't be enjoyable too.

looking at this scene a couple of weeks ago (previous pics) there's been remarkable growth in this plant. No idea what it is, but those shoots have projected themselves as though on a major task.

railwayflower.jpg.a825cf755a2bb3fa7cb8eba465e45c57.jpg

Hi Rossi, what plants are you talking about, the one with the purple flower could be a bougainvillea, not sure on the plant beside it, some kind of wax plant.

I just planted a couple of rose plants in one of the gardens the spiral goes through be stunning when in flower, pink and other is a bright yellow, one plant is in the way, hope to replant it, has a nice small pink flower when in flower.

How is the weather you end of the world, on rain here driest autumn in years, not good coming into winter , still warm days 30 degrees today cold nights.

Love your pics of your village planning one on my layout as well on top of a costal village with a light house and beach scene.

Have you tried those card kits, containers are so dear to buy now thinking of card ones, need two of them for my latest double stack container well wagons.

Tony from down under

Hi Tony,

No it's not Bougainvillea..We have that running wild up the front and back of the house! Petals everywhere when the wind blows.

It's the one next to it (like you say, a wax type thing).The shoots were almost 3 foot long. Now cut off.

As for cardboard/card kits, they stand no chance out of doors permanently: I always use stone or plastic buildings.

Hi Rossi, what's the name of your island group are close to Africa or further out into the Atlantic, and be interesting what time zone you go under if it is winter or the first day of summer for you.

Have to agree what to Griff is saying about your station impressive indeed, I like the pic you took from the bridge over looking station with the two train spotters and is that a Morris miner parked on the bridge, have though of doing the same sort of scene on my layout. :D:lol:

We have had a long dry autumn, the rain is here at long last coming in today big event Friday, Saturday with the heaviest rain , they are predicting over 4 inches for both days.

Looks like I won't be able to take any trains to the train club on Saturday, have to come back by train, sadly being grounded for a couple of months, medical issue be back on the road in late July.

Tony from down under

Hi Tony,

we're situated about 250 miles from NW coast of Africa.Now entering summer and our time zone is GMT (same as London).

Quite happy with the station. Able to hold a few trains whist others go about their business.

Next venture will be the top end of the railway (house end). It was built about 2 years ago and is now showing deterioration but as we all know with the great outdoors,the weather takes its toll.Plus, the railway is in regular use thanks to our temperature and it's nice to have some different scenery added every now and again.

Thanks also Griff for the remarks. You building yet?

Hi Rossi, are your island group called the Canary Islands and what island do you live on, tourism must be the big thing for your islands seeing three cruse ships berthed in the port and one was huge.

Be looking forward to seeing what you have planned for your next section of your layout.

Heavy rain coming in today and tomorrow being the heaviest, good time to finish off the soldering on the three sections of my spiral.

Tony from down under

• 4 weeks later...

My forage into Ebay seems to have reaped rewards having now acquired the chassis parts I needed. Whether it's worth chasing up Lima parts I'm not sure but it's the nostalgia kick I've fallen for.

Then, as mentioned, you come across things you might just fancy buying. Now, I've never had any chocolate and cream coaches, but saw some for sale. Had to bid...and then won with a 13 quid bid. Now, you can't argue with that can you?

Shipped over today and are pretty near perfect.

western.jpg.a6ef96e300c3c3b8303757966190af40.jpg