Rossi Railways in the sun

Rossi

Now...I'm probably stuck in NO TECHNO MODE...But, I'm trying to replace tyres onto the RailRoad Hornby Deltic loco "St Paddy."

PIC_0906.JPG

The opposite bogie comes apart easily allowing the wheels to drop out, but this motor end doesn't seem to want to know. I'm sure it must just be a question of inserting a small blade or screwdriver in and twisting.
Anybody dealt with this?.

PIC_0908.JPG

Wheels for replacement tyres are on the left of this picture.

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks Doublecee,

But I've just done the job!!!

No need for removing the wheels, I hooked the tyre over part of the rim and then cajoled it with the tiniest screwdriver I've got, and then pushed a cocktail stick under the rubber...and held the tyre firmly at the top with Mrs Rossi's tweezers. How I managed to do both of them I don't know. (You'll never see this in a manual!)

I think the main problem is my eyes. They aren't functioning as well as I think they are!

I also watched a YouTube video of a guy changing traction tyres and it was a doddle, so it must be me..

Plus, the Deltic is running a treat now.

Luckily I got a bag of tyres from Abigails (think we've mention this firm before), because in my frustration I actually split one tyre.

On Lima locos, the base plate is removed (lugs at each end) and the wheels drop out, making it easy to replace the tyres - I doubt if Hornby have changed the bogie that much. Just make sure, when it all falls apart (as it undoubtedly will), you try and put it back together the right way - unlike this idiot :oops: , who spent hours trying to put a class 31 bogie back in the chassis the wrong way round and then wondered why it was continually shorting out :roll::lol:

I recently changed these tyres on three tenders & one class 25 & was equally puzzled about the method to employ when I did exactly the same as you. Easy enough when you know how but a spare pair of hands would be useful.

At last we have had some dry sunny & even warmer days here in the UK so quite some progress achieved on my own 'project' but will post tomorrow hopefully with some photo's.

Feeling pretty pleased with myself. Lots of soldering (which I hate doing) plus fresh wiring and a trip down the annals of time with some steam runs.

As you can see, there's an absolute load of work to be done to tidy up all the upheaval of the past month.

PIC_0910.JPG

Time off for good behaviour, so sitting back and just watching trains go by.

PIC_0916 (1).jpg

It all still looks exactly what it is..."Project trying to reach fruition," but definitely getting there.

PIC_0918.JPG

Nice photos, capturing the period atmosphere very effectively. And I like the grey ballast effect in the first two photos, but can't work out what it is. If it's just the surface of the cinder/breeze blocks, you seem to have hidden the joins very effectively.

Andrew,

They are actually breeze blocks, but a little different than the ones you get in the UK. Joined by cement...and thanks for the compliment of "good workmanship", but I think maybe the camera took a sympathetic angle of the actual join.

More progress today. Decided to start on the tunnel.

Basic foundations put in this morning.

Mrs Rossi still pleased how I engineered the whole thing to miss the bougainvillea trees and water taps.

PIC_0924.JPG

This long shot shows most of the work in the last month or so.

PIC_0931.JPG

And this one shows a hurried "throw over" of some scenery texture that I think will follow in a week or so. (Still have other ideas floating about). Town/country...not sure.
Coal mine maybe , Griff ?!!!

PIC_0938.JPG

Lots of progress here since I last dropped by. Good to see it all coming together.

Love what you've had to do with the Yucca's - the lengths we have to go to eh?

With the textured covering on, the far end up on the mound really does look like it warrants some kind of castle or other grand architectural structure. Perhaps it could even be built up a little more.

Yes Mick...That END bit.

No real idea what to do yet. I'll possibly keep it simple for a while after all the upheaval of late, but my good friend has now left for England for some more tests/results (medical) but threatens to return in three weeks or so. Ideas and wine will flow then, believe me.

Todays on/off showers have me frustrated with the covers for the railway,(gallery pixs) but has led me to grease up the springs on the points. I think I mentioned this procedure in earlier pages. It does seem to extend the life of the springs as I've not had one come adrift for a very long time. (Maybe it's just luck,) but it does give a little piece of mind.

PIC_0970.JPG.fcadcb84b0cfdc5d7358b9f4260721da.JPG

"Rossi Railway in the Sun." Well, not at the moment.

Checked the weather forecast, did all that I thought was needed in lieu of the oncoming bad storm and headed into the village for an hour or so.

Returned to find mayhem.

PIC_1084.JPG

Maybe they (weather forecasters) were right about mentioning a "Yellow Alert."

Unperturbed, I quickly went to the local DIY store and purchased a couple of more sheets to protect the railway.
Drilling extra plugs and screws into the wall amongst rain is not the safest thing to do, but needs be.
Retired to the kitchen for tea and biscuits only to hear a ginormous howling of wind and rain. Then...
A thunderous crashing at the bottom of the terrace, as the wind came in from the sea and lifted all the old palm leaves off the roof of the bar area scattering them across all boundaries of our neighbours, plus uprooting various parts of the railway as it burst through the new sheets.

PIC_1117.JPG

"You win some, you loose some" is the saying I think.
Retrieved the scattered remnants of the railway and returned to tea and biscuits.
Well, I might have been wrong about the beverage.

PIC_1095.JPG

Looking on the bright side is not quite apt at the moment!

Oh dear, there's us here moaning about our winter (Which my project weathered quite well) & in such a brief time span you have endured that. I really hope that whatever damage done is not too severe & can be easily put right. In the meantime maybe a few more 'glasses' of that 'tea' will help.

Yes, when we get hit we get hit good and proper.

Still going on at the moment. Winds at 140 kph.

The sealant on the top balcony put in last year (or before) and mentioned in earlier posts was to stop leakage into spare room.

Absolute waste of time. Buckets (and pans)back in place catching rain water. And this is the stuff I had complete faith in and used on the railway. (logged way back in pages).

I was going to move the village station anyway...just didn't think it would happen that fast!

New protective sheets standing firm at the moment.

Budgies clinging to the inside corners of the aviary, whilst Fat Cat wont even consider putting a paw outside. Also, Cyril the turtle is somewhere hidden in his tank beneath the new sheets. Hibernation sound good for him.

We'll laugh at this in a couple of days.

More tea, I think!

Didn't take long. Back to normality now as the storm has blown itself out.

We,ve cleaned up most of the mess.

Cyril the Turtle seemingly oblivious to the last few days.

Budgies chirping away..and Fat Cat being, well Fat Cat.

PIC_1141.JPG

Village and houses were stored away safely. Track at top end took a bit of hammering and bent.Part of the decking subsided. Might excavate this part and start afresh.(I think, so much water cascaded along the railway that it caused the soil beneath to drop into unknown places making the wood move.) Replacement of track and new rebuild on the village station in the next few weeks.

One picturesque outcome is the view of "our volcano" at the rear of the house.

PIC_1123.JPG

The snow will last a few days and the mountain roads will be full of families going up for snowball fights, then later in the day back down and sunbathing on the beach. Funny old climate over here!

I remember the last time I visited Tenerife. We stayed at Puerto Santiago, a lovely, mostly unspoiled by mass tourism, fishing village.

We hired a car and toured the island, such contrasts between the Southern tourist part and the Northern business part. We visited Loro Park and drove down the West side of the island along some of the most frightening roads I have ever been on, huge drops on the right hand side in many places.

Ahh... good times :)

Sorry for hi-jacking the thread, Rossi, but the picture of Mount Tiede brought it all back to me.