Rossi Railways in the sun

Rossi

Hi Griff,

"Have you measured it? Or maybe i missed that in the discussion."

Yes, I have the details.

One aching back.

Two creaking knees.

Numerous blisters.

One sore thumb (where I missed the handle of the chisel with the hammer)

PS. Don't ever mention a windmill !!!

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Had to make a start on re diverting the track for the viaduct.

Why do these jobs get bigger than at first thought?

Excavations first and then insert of first block (back of railway).

Only a metre and a half to go after this.

PIC_0848.JPG.7917a522f0f765bf15c68c092c61b993.JPG

Progress report.

Most track now placed.

Actually trying different base foundations to see what holds up the best.

At the back of the layout I've secured track onto concrete type mix.

PIC_0864.JPG

None of the pixs show the finished product, but just an experiment with differing products.
Below is a covered veneer/treated board on the viaduct.

PIC_0866.JPG

Track pins are only temps at the moment. All track will be screwed down eventually.
This last one shows the decking that has been in place for a couple of years now. Still holding its own.

PIC_0875.JPG

All the features here are well away from completion, but it will be interesting to know which is still secure in a couple of years.
(By the way, not too sure about the foam underlay I laid some months back. (See previous pages). Jury is still out on this one. That's why I haven't continued with the extra 5 metres I've got stored away.

I bet it' very exciting to have new tracks and a viaduct to run on. I hadn't realized the viaduct was going to be four tracks wide that's a record for the site I think.

i look forward to more shots of the entire area that's been built, like the end loops and a straight on look at the whole viaduct. oh, and lots of trains running in the future. :)

Cheers Ian,

The wait is not quite over, loads more to be done, but have managed a run in both directions of "up" and "down" lines.

I've no idea how the trains worked because I had disconnected lots of wiring at the top end of the layout. Obviously getting feeds from around the station throat, so the fishplates (rail joiners) must be holding firm.

Next few days will see me attempt some dedicated wiring and maybe a few droppers in place.

Also going to use colour coding on the cable. Learning from my last attempts when I looked at "spaghetti junction" under the boards near the station.

It might actually be easier to re-wire the lot.

Long way off a video yet Griff...but you know it will happen!

Previous page photos pleased me because a week ago I couldn't see any of it running so quickly again.

The four track viaduct was necessary because of the out and return of the double track.

AndyR,

Dread getting these requests ("have you got a diagram?").

I am dreadful at producing anything to do with tech drawing...but here is the latest track plan.

If you refer back to earlier plans (page 3 on this blog) you'll notice the difference at the right hand side where I've installed the viaduct and obviously had to re-arrange the track to fit in with the "pain in the backside" Yuka trees.

PIC_0876.JPG

I'll add these two half shots if it helps with the magnification.

PIC_0884.JPG

And the viaduct end...

PIC_0882.JPG

HS. = Headshunt.
Dotted lines = Hidden trackwork.
Vs = Double slip pointwork.

PS. Out of the goods yard, part of the double slip and one point connects to the main line. It looks a little faint in the diagram, but it is there.

After the rebuild (albeit without any tunnel or features installed yet), I have managed to get trains running and most of the track in place, except for the village station which needs the loop installing and the platforms realigned.
So...Am I pleased with the new look?
A definite yes, especially when you watch two trains passing each other on the viaduct and then later they'll actually run alongside one another as if in a chase. Quite fascinating.

A quick memo to Griff who recently asked about timetable/manoeuvres running.
The station area (although not highlighted in the plan) can run trains from the top platforms/goods sidings, onto the main line, and do a number of circuits, and then cross over at the end of the station tunnel (left hand side of diagram) and drop into the bottom platforms/sidings. They can then be held, and an engine change run round enabling the said train to depart back to its original starting place. It's as if the station area was actually two different venues.I.E North and South.
Imagination and a couple of glasses of wine is a fine master!

Looked at it yesterday and quickly recognized the international model railroad symbol >< for a double slip. :) I have always liked how many points you have in your station area. I had always assumed there was more track there, sort of an optical illusion from looking at the low pictures.

It should make for some fun running. There really is nothing like changing a layout to spruce it up a bit. And you'll probably end up with more scenics needed.

Any plans to put a coal mine or quarry inside that end loop?

I have been asking about operations, because I am worried I'll grow bored with roundy roundy on my layout. I am planning to add some more points with places for goods to be delivered.

I await the staged photos of four trains on the viaduct. he he he

Thanks for the comments on the progress so far.

There are lots of plans in the pipeline, but as yet no coal mine or quarry Griff. But my friend Bazzer has mentioned a water pump lying idle in England which he has every intention of bringing over, although he is still over here at the moment. The mind boggles. What gets into these people when they start a little bit of "hands on" with the railway? Infectious!

A request for photo's.

PIC_0891.JPG

Loads to do as you can see. The viaduct awaits added wall edgings and a paint job.
You can see where I had to cut into the Yuka trees. Now waiting for some treatment chemical from the garden centre. it's an understatement to say the trouble they have given.

PIC_0902.JPG

The far end still awaits the buiding of the new tunnel.
Bazzer says it could do with some sort of castle ruins. We've even been searching EBay for kiddies plastic castles. Frightening.

PIC_0903.JPG

Tomorrow we've decided to have a BBQ, so heaven knows what plans will evolve after the social wine tasting!