Rossi Railways in the sun

Rossi

Rossi, I think it's great you are exploring the older models. They are fun to tinker with. After seeing how hte prices have gone on newer models, nothing compares to buying a rake of coaches for the price of one new coach as well.

Do you have anything else in mind for the railway now that you've gone ebaying? I have a couple old models I wouldn't mind having. Multi unit EMU's are top on my list. AS is anything with a bright paint scheme.

The only thing with ebay is not to get overly excited over something because no matter how rare you think the special item is, there will be another one coming on soon.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just goes to show that us modellers are never off duty.

Yesterday, revamping our kitchen, Mrs Rossi put some plate/Cups shelving outside ready for the bin.

WHAT!!!

"I know exactly what that could be..."

Voila! A new station roof. Only needs some made to measure plastic sheeting.

roof1.jpg

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
After an hour or so, it bit the dust.Off to the tip!

Found two tunnel mouths. Well, you've got to use them some how haven't you?

Back of the layout, we now have an extra sanctuary for a train to dodge the sun.

newtunnel2.jpg

newtunnel3.jpg

Now need my good friend Tom to get over here (September I think) and start blending the old backscene with his magic brushes.

newtunnel5.jpg

Whole section just lifts off the tunnel mouths.

Getting to that time of day when a cool beer is about to be produced at the bar!

Plus, sometimes you never know what's coming into the station next.

king4.jpg

Whilst at the other end we still get problems with leaves on the line.

train.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

My good friend Tom arrived back on the Island bringing some goodies and his paint brushes!

Asked if this was any good?. Found in a second hand shop.

airfix4.jpg

Don't really remember it, but what an exquisite carriage.
Needless to say it had to be put to use straight away.
Runs like a dream.
GWR was never my first love, but now with the addition of coffee and cream coaches (EBay)and this, I'm getting pretty fond of the stuff.

airfix7.jpg

Hi Rossi , nice break van is it the only one you have, they are going for 11 pounds in Hutton's and I saw on Aussie eBay two going for $10, here is the link.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Lima-00-GWR-Coaches-Warped-for-Parts-/232095086737?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368

How are you going with the your village railway layout finished collecting the kits, wound if it is still going, don't see it in my news agent.

Those coaches are a pain I am still having issues running hem now I am going to body mount the couplers, after a friend telling me it could be the couplers on the bogies causing the problem, I want them to run smoothly when running the duel tender Flying Scot.

We are copping wild weather tomorrow, South Australia copped the same system today and the electric grid in the whole stat was knocked out, I packed my three station modules in the garden shed, won't be doing much work on the till next week, Heading down to Canberra Tuesday for a couple of days and coming back to Sydney on Wednesday to see Sydney Central station and walk through it, lots of pics to be taken spending a few hours there coming back by train from Canberra.

Tony from down under, keeping on moving a head.

• 4 weeks later...

Tom, back for a short break, finished the main background landscape:

painting2.jpg

And now, after about 7 months of dust and sand we have the first of the winter rain. An hour or so of allowing it to clean away the remnants of sand particles and on with the sheets. Seems ages since these were unfurled!

covers2.jpg

After the bout of rain, finally removed the covers. (See previous pics) Strange findings on some of the rails. This odd turquoise/bluey colouring.

railcorrosion.jpg

Acid rain? Something from our volcano?
Hope I'm not going to start glowing in the dark!

Had you left the power turned on by any chance? I once had a similar thing happen and realised that electrolysis had taken place. I can't remember whether it was the right rail (positive) or the left rail (negative) assuming one way running of course.

The power on? Goodness me! That could be the answer. Although the transformer is well buried under the boards (water tight) I had left it plugged in throughout the rain.

These things happen at a certain age.

That's why I thought it strange as it hadn't happened before...(or not that I can remember!)

HI Rossi very sad to hear your power has died due to weather, the downside to any garden scale layout, be easy to replace it, I have two trannies powering my layout when it is finely up and running, my power supply be in under the pergola and can be unplugged easy if we cop a bad storm, the same with the earlier module layouts.

Have you finely finished collecting those your village 00 scale layout, over here the news agent stopped ordering the mags wasn't finished and I will be body mounting the couplers to under the body of the coaches, having too much trouble with derailing I think due to my long 11 car train, sort that out on the hotter days I can't work outside, summer is here, hope not a hot long one.

Tony from down under, keeping on moving a head

Probably my bad positioning of words. My power controller hasn't died, just the forgetfulness in my old age of leaving it on during the rain storm.Seems feasible that it was this problem that caused the colouring on the rail (electrolysis?).

The village oo scale layout (magazine)has finished now.

Those coaches:

At first they seemed ok but I've given up on them as they seem to want to derail. I even coupled them with the village trucks (magazine) so that all couplings were the same, but they still persisted on coming off the track.

coaches6.jpg

Old Lima coaches are more reliable.

Iain,

thought I'd give those coaches another looking at.

First off, took a look at the buffer beams, and noticed the curvature on it. Definitely interfering with that stupidly designed coupling.

coachend.jpg

Small hacksaw (very gently) got rid of it.

coachend2.jpg

Of the two coaches, one now runs ok without any derailing. In fact, it's done about 30 laps!
The other one still acting up. I suspect the bogie is not free enough, plus, like you say, might benefit from some weight.
All told though, a pleasing hour or so outside.Also thanks for the advice.

coachrunning.jpg

coachrunning2.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hi Rossi, Merry Christmas was Santa good to you last night and did the rain stay away long enough to enjoy Christmas dinner, nice pic too.

Talk about rain it rained heavy here today and for the first time in many years it was a cool Christmas day, rest of the week is low temps too as well will make the most of it working on my layout which is coming along nicety all the front modules are ready to be painted, next weekend be a stinker in the high 30's.

Tony from down under keeping on moving a head ;);)

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Rossi

Just gone through this entire thread to reformat it after the new site update. For some reason all your text, other than the first paragraph of each post, was missing but I've managed to copy it all back across so it should now be okay. Now on to the next one!