Rossi

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Griff,

I don't do it on purpose, but Fat Cat is an out and out nosy cat (like most) and whatever I do, he seems to want to be part of it.

Any photo shoot attracts him as a wannabe star attraction. He now goes between the arches of the viaduct and settles behind for numerous slumbers...until the next venture comes along.

George, regarding Mt Teide.

We only get snow on Teide for a few weeks in the winter usually Feb/March. Last year we didn't have any. You might recall in my blog about the lack of rain last year. Hence, no snow.

Height is 3,700 metres, and from the sea floor it measures, I am told, 7,500 metres, making it the third highest volcano in the world. I'm not sure if that is for active volcano's (which Teide is.)

Numerous films are made over here (Plant of the Apes, as you mentioned).

Last year, parts of "The Wrath of the Titons" was filmed on Tenerife. (Maybe the previous year...Time flies)

I even applied to be an "Extra" because I met the criteria of having long hair, but I had to grow a beard (which I still have now...Mmm). Never made the final cut though. Star struck? Bit like Fat Cat I suppose!

Strayed a bit from railways. Sorry.

Also, nice to see a few more on the site. It seemed to be a very lonely place during the winter and I can only apologise for hogging a lot of the time with my sometimes mundane pictures.

I can sense the excitement now, as more of you seem to be venturing into the gardens. Fingers crossed for a good summer over there.

last trip to Tenerife for me was in 74, as a 4 year old. We stayed at Lost Gigantes hotel. Back then, that was a really hip and elite place... I wonder what it is like now, some 39 years later

Wish this weather would just go away and springtime kick in... I need to give all this new stock a run. I do envy Rossi in the Sun... YOu seem the least affected by the seasons (generally speaking)

• 4 weeks later...

Had this shipped over 16 months ago. Had no problems, but now it's started to stall and stutter and then stop after a few circuits. Then runs ok again. It then repeats the cycle. Put it on full speed and let it storm around, but still reverts back to it's wayward movement.

PIC_1172.JPG.14bfb57bfc5bb0f97a2b9f09043660d6.JPG

The trick to removing that chasis from the body is to use 4 thin cards such as credit cards or hotel door keys (better). Slide two in on one side, getting them in to the point where the body cant latch onto the chasis, and then leave them in place whilst you do the other side. This stops you having to fight and wrestle with the body.

Sounds like it may need a bit of a deep clean. Dont forget, you do get a lot of fine particulate in the air on the islands, such as fine sand etc. Not sure if its a ringfield motor, but if it is, I bet you have a dirty comutator.

A dab of track magic to clean, and you should be goo to go

Thanks for the reply.

Yep, sounds good with the credit cards...might use Mrs' Rossi's...never know what you can sneak through!!!

Logical thoughts on the commutator, as we have untold amounts of sand drifting on the winds over here.

Can't really see Hattons replacing anything because of the time limit, but will definitely have a go later today on maintenance.

I have some cleaning fluid ( Isopropyl alcohol) which might do it.

Advice taken and used. Stripped the DMU down, cleaned a bit of "gunge" away then lightly used cotton buds with the Isopropil alcohol. Left to its own devices for ten minutes or so, and then I tested the motor on its own. FULL SPEED AHEAD!

The most difficult part was separating and rejoining the body and chassis. Absolute nightmare.

Why Bachmann don't employ a couple of small screws for holding the two parts together I'll never know.

The delicate under- structure is just waiting for weary eyes and clumsy hands to challenge the craftmanship of Bachmanns workforce.

However, job done...and Hattons returned my email telling me that there was 6 months warranty from them (obviously run out) and a further 12 months from the manufactures.They gave me contact numbers (for Bachmann) and were, as usual, very polite and helpful.

So, all in all, not too bad a day.

Well, just cooked yesterdays left over chicken into a huge curry and had the railway running with the DMU. Now had a few beers, to chill out, and it's still running nicely. (2 hours)

Fingers crossed.

PS. Love these longer light evenings.

Missed all the excitement from earlier today but I'm pleased to hear that the DMU is sorted. I think I've had a good moan in the past about getting these models apart so I can sympathise with you on that score - it took me ages to get my first one done. The credit card trick makes it easier but there's still a big risk of damaging something or other.

The lighter evenings are great - only wish it would warm up a little bit.

• 2 weeks later...

Griff,

it would certainly impede my trains running, as I would be running the opposite way.

I've not seen or heard anything in the local papers. It refers to San Sebastian which is the main port on the opposite island to us, (La Gomera). My favourite island.

Mentioned earlier about the probs with this unit.

PIC_1198.JPG

Picked it out of the box this morning for a run and the body came adrift from the chassis, obviously not secured correctly by me.
Then had to juggle about for about ten minutes before getting some sort of settlement together.
This must be the most frustrating combination of any model regards access and unity. Why, oh why, weren't they designed with a couple of screws at either end?
Unlike the old Lima diesels, they do not have any lugs to engage with, which was such a simple idea.

PIC_1200.JPG

Moan over with.

Had to come in from the railway as the temp has hit 38 degrees with no breeze and the track is red hot to the touch.
As opposed to rain, this is what does the damage to the rails.

Work started in earnest this morning. After the recent upheavals I'd just been running trains for the amusement side of it, leaving chunks of the railway in semi "builders yard" condition.

The old tunnel/turn around area before the yuka trees has now been excavated and a bed of rough stone placed in for drainage before the top soil and plants go in. Slate material is now bedded in at the sides, hopefully shielding the track from any overspill.

PIC_1215.JPG.a75c3746e999d34ec78b15e5aa403a08.JPG

Looking good, I like the Canal feature & have one on my garage layout. I don't know what your plans are with regard to creating the dirty canal water because your outside but my cheap & easy method was thus. A strip of thin ply cut to fit was coated several times with green fence treatment then several more coats of matt varnish applied gave a good result. Of course if the canal is meant to be in England you will need to drop on a few tyres & any number of old bikes for authenticity..... :-)

Brian,

canal is getting near the top of the list. Already have a minny one near the main station (see page one of my blog).

Wonderful words from some of our friends yesterday "Are these any use for you? Found them on a car boot sale."

Points and a signal box...Fantastic.

PIC_1228.JPG[/attachment]

Then had a change of ideas with the plants and decided to go all herby. Couldn't resist the smell of mint and oregano at the garden centre.

Also got the village station back to normal, as in this view.

PIC_1224.JPG

Update on the railway:
Soil in place.

PIC_1228.JPG

Then had a change of ideas with the plants and decided to go all herby. Couldn't resist the smell of mint and oregano at the garden centre.
Also got the village station back to normal, as in this view.

PIC_1240.JPG

PIC_1243.JPG

So, not a bad few hours work, and looking a lot tidier.

Progress has been slow, but getting there bit by bit. The view below shows that I've decided to try and put in another canal.

PIC_1270.JPG

Still a little disappointed with the colour, although I know most canals are pretty dirty (near industry etc). Had no sunshine today, which I'm sure would of highlighted the top coat of varnish, but it still looks a bit too murky.
Also built a diesel fuelling/stabling line, supposedly (in theory) on the old steam shed tracks which are being lifted in the little scenario.

PIC_1285.JPG

The odd thing is that there is no exit or entrance for the canal! So, some extra thought needed here.
If you view the earlier shots of this area, you can see the amount of work which has taken it from rubble to something at least resembling a model.

Mentioned about going on a "Herby" trip for planting alongside the track. Did this last week, as can be seen in the canal photos.

Constant watering was the advice from the garden centre man "until they take a firm hold."

And so I did.

Good grief! They've just shot up.

My little three Basil plants and a couple of Corianders have started to manifest like nothing else...not to mention the Mint.

PIC_1293.JPG

Engines were coming from the back of the railway with giant leaves wedged between their wheels. Not sure whether this was a good idea or not.

PIC_1302.JPG

Mrs Rossi says to keep trimming...but I'm not sure I can eat that many greens!

PIC_1324.JPG

(PS. In the top photo of these last three, you can see the foam underlay I experimented with a good few months back. Still in place and actually weathered itself nicely. Jury still out though at the moment)