Rossi Railways in the sun

Rossi

Amazing an beautiful even if I have no idea what it is.

Only train lovers would want big hunks of rust in and around their homes.

I once found a pair of American style knuckle couplers that had both broken their, for lack of a better description, wrists. They were lying on the ground stil linked together; I though to myself, "I must have that!" Well, they weighed much more than I could carry. I wish I had gotten them... then again i would've been hauling them around for 30 years, so maybe not. :lol:

oh my. I stepped back through your discussion and stumbled on the ship pics and footage. Don't know how i missed it. Very pretty water even if it is a bit choppy. I was hoping to sneak down to mexico for a bit and enjoy some warmth and water, but things are still a bit heated up down there, and I'm not sure if I'm up to risking it. Some day I am leaving Colorado for good and finding a coastal city.

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Griff,

Yes. I know, overlapped into the next page...

You can't beat the wonderful smell of the ocean...and probably get told off from Mick for deviating from railways...Still, don't you appreciate the skill of these tug boat people? Tanker can't have been far off where I use to swim out to. Those were the days!

PS...Griff...don't you recognise that wonderful piece of rust? Holds the rails down. I think in the Uk we actually progressed to something called flat bottom rails after these.

traingeekboy said:

That's a track plate? Learn something new every day I suppose.

i just spoke to a friend who is moving to the coast of Florida. She says she'll see the gulf of mexico from her window. *sigh*

Lucky person.

Got a building site just up the road from me now that was until a couple of weeks ago nice green fields.

Ian

traingeekboy said:

That's a track plate? Learn something new every day I suppose.

i just spoke to a friend who is moving to the coast of Florida. She says she'll see the gulf of mexico from her window. *sigh*

I now understand why you didn't understand "Bull headed rail".

Track plate? Never heard of that one. Mind you, I still call rail joiners fish plates.

I suspect you are now pining for views of the Gulf Griff. Not sure if we've any one modelling over there. Maybe some of us can send you other localities, as it feels like you need a change of location...or permanent fixing to the National Geog TV channel!

George...I can see where this going. Like Ian said "twelve inches to the foot scale next." NOoooo!

Dabbling a bit in lighting now. Nothing elaborate. It has to be stuff that adapts to our weather...and cheap!

PIC_0312.JPG

PIC_0320.JPG

PS. That odd contraption in above photo is actually a mosquito catcher type thing that was charging up in the sun in the afternoon. Forgot to remove it. Maybe that's why the" little people" have got all their house lights on!

• 4 weeks later...

Dug this old Tri-ang tank engine out. Must be 50 years old.Cleaned as much as I could and would you Adam and Eve it...Off it went.

PIC_0347.JPG

Stuck a few times and gave out a bit of smoke from its innards but eventually came to life. Its not keen on running slow so its now on express goods traffic. I think it was numbered 82004, but it now just carries a single zero. Strange find this, because Hornby have just released a new version of it. I'm now pondering whether to whisper sweet nothings to my wife.

PIC_0353 (1).jpg

After about ten minutes running it actually threw its centre screw out of the motion, loosing two spacers as well. Luckily they were a few inches from the accident site. I may have been over enthusiastic with the WD 40!
One thing I have noticed is the amount of wheel cleaning it needs. Fifteen minutes running and it starts to stutter and needs a complete clean.
All the last purchases from Hattons over something like nine or ten months have not needed any wheel cleaning at all.
Such is progress.

I would highly advise taking apart any loco you WD40'ed and giving it a good soak with alcohol. WD40 will attack plastics. If you have trouble finding plastic safe oils for your locos, due to your location, I will gladly gift you some if you PM me your address.

i would hate to see you ruin your loco fleet with WD40.

Griff, thanks for the concern, but I only sparingly used the WD 40 on a bit of the motion, and as I said, it must have helped loosen the centre pin on the drivers, causing the derailment. Dont forget, that loco was about fifty years old... it needed something up its backside!!!

• 2 weeks later...

You asked for opinions of the Bachmann class 37s in another thread so I thought I'd add my thoughts here.

I have a number of Bachmann 37s, probably 12 or so, and I've not had a single problem with them. I used them regularly on my previous layout and will be doing so on Worsley Dale. I'm not one for looking for faults and errors so I can't vouch for their accuracy but they certainly have the look and feel of 37s as I remember them. They're nice and heavy with good haulage capabilities and as you probably know they are available in lots of different liveries. Another good point is that they are still reasonably priced and if you shop around you can find current models ranging from £50 upwards. I can certainly recommend them - but you'll have to decide on the livery yourself!