Rossi Railways in the sun

Rossi

As mentioned in earlier posts this outdoor modelling is ongoing.

After almost two years of decent running, there comes a time when maintenance is required. Last month I found it necessary to redo most of the station pointwork. Having done that...a couple of weeks ago this appeared.

PIC_0116.JPG

First, a piece of the decking decided to try and remove itself from the sun. Then obviously, the track decided to warp and twist upwards.

PIC_0117.JPG

I carried on running by adding the odd tacked nail, but it was obvious it all had to come out.

PIC_0118.JPG

Then as usual, I found more had to be replaced. Plus I had a "newly" acquired Girder bridge, (another old Rovex/Tri-ang model).

Now, having relaid and strengthened the decking I went and stuck artificial grass alongside the track and did a bit of paint spraying. I'm not too sure of the result, and I'm now wondering whether to extend it further along the rails. From the picture below you might be able to offer some advice. Does it work or not? I'm thinking of spraying the middle gap between the rails all grey.

mov028_Capture_1 (2).jpg

The greenery/spray painting also hides the decking, although in truth you wouldn't find "grass" between busy railway lines. Mmm...Not too sure. Do I proceed into the distance or not?
Quick PS...Girder bridge installed.

PIC_0144.JPG

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 4 weeks later...

Having read a few treats from fellow modellers about Easter weekend I thought I'd chip in.

And all I can say is I feel sorry and apologise to all the holiday makers who ventured over here. Yes, you've guessed it, we finally managed to have some rain after all these months. Urgently needed for the crops (potato famine on the way is a possibilty...and is it me, or are there a lot of references to spuds in recent posts?)

I did however manage to test out the railway cover for the middle section, and it worked admirably.

PIC_0146.JPG

Even the local tanker parked up for a while.

PIC_0155.JPG

The good news is that we're now back to normal.

PIC_0175.JPG

PIC_0179.JPG

I saw a mention earlier about Griff and his Utility van. I think this is similar. Actually green inside but painted blue many years back.

Nice photos of the layout in the sunshine. It's good to see a few photos starting to appear on the forum again now that the weather's picking up a bit.

Doesn't everyone grow a few potatoes these days? With the convenience of growing them in bags on the patio and the pleasure of eating them freshly harvested and cooked, even if you only grow one thing, try a few spuds!

• 2 weeks later...

New video put on Youtube, showing a run out with the recently acquired V3 loco. (Not the best quality for some reason. Done with the usual camera.) Engine runs well, but I'm having trouble with the coupling from the engine to any rolling stock, (keeps uncoupling). I may have to try and get a new Bachmann coupling and fix it onto one of the trucks or carriages so they marry perfectly.

Didn't realise the back ground noise from the aviary at the time of the recording. I suppose I'm just used to it.

These videos show up all the future work needed to tidy things up, especially the signal box and building at the approach to the station. They were only put there as after thoughts...but you know what happens...They take root.

Doublecee,

Based in Tenerife, (quiet parts!) definitely no frost. Just the thought of it...

How do you buy new bits and bobs?

FRIENDS. we mange to be humble and nice and plead for certain pressies to be packed in their suitcases. We have two people who search car boots in Wales and come up with all sorts of goodies.

Last few months, however, I've resigned myself to up grading some of the VERY old stock. Hattons of Liverpool are wonderful, we just get the stock posted to someone we know is coming over and Bobs Your Uncle as they say.

We do actually pay for the gear first! Our friends are not quite that benevolent.

Posted a picture of a utility van from the old Tri-ang days on here some weeks back. Managed to get it to run, although somewhat reluctantly...It literally bounced over points due to the oversized wheels. Well this week I decided to hack off the old wheels and replace them with more modern ones, pinched from not so old trucks.

Runs like a dream now, although I suppose that I've sacrificed the uniqueness of the original.

PIC_0182.JPG

I've now started to look at this old timer. Got a few of these nestling in a box somewhere.The wheels in front are the butchered ones off the utility van.

PIC_0185.JPG

Now I've dug these old Tri-ang coaches out. They are definitely out of scale compared with the newer stuff I've got. But all I need is a load of wheels. Any ideas anyone? Maybe Hattons catalogue is worth a look through.

PIC_0192.JPG

By the way, I had to hack-saw my way through the old axles and those old plastic frames don't like too much movement.

Replacing wheels is the way to go with old stock. It does wonders. I had to gauge all the wheels on my limas to get them running properly.

I have the same van as yours and those triang axles are a funny design with the long bolt actually running through holes in the sides. There really isn't much you can do but scrap them and get better. (I haven't done mine yet BTW)

Have used them on old Tri-ang coaching stock, Kitmaster coaches, Lima Syphon G wagons, Southern Pride TPO (kit bashed job) that I got given to me. I have also used them to replace more recent Hornby purchased coaches as well. They are so so much better and the wheels themselves are of a better quality and heavier than Hornby's metal wheels.

Ian

Thanks for the info on Hattons, re wheels. Not sure how to change directly over from the old Tri-ang wheel sets (bogies)...whether they will come out easily, but I'll have a look later on. If memory serves me right they have some sort of brass ringlet securing them to the body.

It could possibly be easier to purchase just the wheels from Hattons, packet number 36-014.

At the moment I'm trying to figure out how to download odds and ends from YouTube onto a memory stick (USB) so I'll probably be stuck up here on the computers for a while...If any one has any relevant info (in laymans terms and chalk and slate diagrammes!) I'd appreciate it. PM me if possible so that we're not too far off railway topics on this site.

PS. I've got a download of Youtube catcher...I think that's what its called, but it starts a download and then stops after a few seconds stating it doesn't recognise the URL etc. (Have i got that right?) Not sure now.

Might be easier me tackling those Tri-ang coaches.

As I recall there is a metal fastener like a rivet holding the truck in place. Best bet is to grind the bottom off with a dremel tool, or similar hand drill. Mine has a variable speed control so it's easy to go slowly and not damage important things like hands with a high speed tool.

• 3 weeks later...

Just got back from a mini break on Gran Canaria, so the batteries are fully charged...and the end of the footy seson, (well for a couple of weeks anyway).

Decided to look through the odd box of problem locos to see what can be salvaged. Still not got onto attempting removing the old Tri-ang coach bogies yet Griff.

Latest upload to Youtube here.

Still running the Deltic and 47, because they love to run on and on, whilst the station master has a quiet tipple in the afternoon sun.

Also great to see some movement on members railways now the summer is coming. (Hope I've not just put the mockers on the weather with that).

Nice little video. It's quite beautiful in how the light plays on the glass of beer. I was mesmerized during the whole first clip. :D:D:D

It looks like everything is running smoothly on the layout. Do you have any plans for the future with the layout as far as additions, or are you in the train collecting stage now?

Oh yeah, whilst watching your video i noticed what looks like class 55's or 37's sitting near the station. Do you leave you stock on the layout between sessions or does it have to come off the layout every time?

It looks like everything is running smoothly on the layout. Do you have any plans for the future with the layout as far as additions, or are you in the train collecting stage now?

Oh yeah, whilst watching your video i noticed what looks like class 55's or 37's sitting near the station. Do you leave you stock on the layout between sessions or does it have to come off the layout every time?

Yes, everything WAS running smoothly and then a couple of engines started to derail at a certain part, and then on a regular basis.

Close examination and finger prodding resulted in this. A month back, there was no sign of this (see video of V3 running,previous page...)

PIC_0250.JPG

The chairs had decided to give up the ghost of any type of attachment, so it was a quick rummage in the track box for anything to replace it. It's getting more difficult to use any reclaimed track. I'm even placing sleepers into the vacant slots and glueing.Below you can see the remains of the "Budgie grit/varnish ballasting" episode. Had to chisel it all away. Although I still maintain that it did the job of holding the rails and chairs together much longer than leaving them untreated.

PIC_0251.JPG

Needed to re-surface the decking. I started this pantomime a few months back with the station throat pointwork...And I knew I'd be forever extending!

PIC_0252.JPG

It's now getting imperative that I bite the bullet and get some new track sent over.
Onto the question of stock. I do actually leave some of it on the layout because we have a pretty steady climate, (and secure) although I take all engines indoors.
Track is now in place and everything back to normal...but for how long?

Back on track...

PIC_0253.JPG

• 1 month later...

A little bit off the forum topics, but I thought I'd cheer Griff up with some photo's as I read that he likes looking over fences (Firth of Forth railway...recent post) and getting sea views.

These pixs were taken of our local tanker receiving assistance during some rough weather the other day. The little tug does an almighty effort to stabilise the tanker and get it anchored down. Look how close it is to the shoreline.

PIC_0277.JPG

PIC_0278.JPG

PIC_0287.JPG

PIC_0290.JPG

PIC_0293.JPG

Hope those satisfy you Griff. Back to trains after this. Promise!
PS. This little snippet of the tanker on Youtube. The occasional blur is actually FatCat walking over the camera. Doesn't like to be out of any shot!

Well...

How do you top this for a present?

About a year ago, I was talking about our outdoor railway to a semi retired friend who owns a large haulage firm in Sowerby Bridge,('?) but who now spends many months over here in his "holiday home" near to us. He brought over some old mags of the Yorkshire steam sheds and I thanked him sincerely. Apparently his firm stands on the old shed premises.

Last week he phoned to make arrangements to meet in a local bar...and there-gift wrapped-was my belated Christmas present, so he said. The two wheeled truck at the side should have been a give away.

"Dug it out of some overgrown nestles...thought you might like it."

The picture below says it all!!! (NOT the class 37)

PIC_0304.JPG

Only a well to do haulage man could have got it shipped over here. Ever felt the weight of these things?
I've now got to try and find a position for it.
Put it on the end of the bar maybe?

PIC_0309.JPG

Not sure whether I can wait for a belated birthday pressy!