Rossi Railways in the sun

Rossi

Decided to scrap the front station roof as it's started to get the "bends."

trains2.thumb.jpg.4514e259e0179d8c490746fb320b8cac.jpg

It means a shady part of the railway has gone where I can park a couple of trains. (Maybe a rebuild or something)

Anyway it looks like a bit of a clean up is necessary and probably new platforms. We'll see.

trainplatform4.thumb.jpg.59eb04a842fb2ee9c3f91878c2aa4096.jpg

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have been absent a bit. Wanted to ask about those coaches you had to grind down the end buffers on. Are those the ones we all got via that train magazine? I have 3 still in their blister packs. I'll have to give them the work over if it's the same ones.

Something about your big station area gives me this strange tingly feeling in my brain. Reminds me of being a kid riding through stations in Italy. I don't know what it is, but you've captured something that really evokes memories for me. It is a really uncanny tingly feeling in my brain that I can't seem to put my finger on. I hope I can do the same on my station redo. :)

35 minutes ago, mick said:

Shame about the station canopy Rossi, especially as it provided some much needed under-cover stabling. Perhaps some of our members can suggest suitable materials for constructing a replacement?

Perhaps Twinwall?

• 3 weeks later...

It's like going over old ground and things us seasoned campaigners should know better.

Fish plates/ rail joiners.

How often do we preach about the weakness of these things in the garden?

On my viaduct I've had 3 small lengths of rails joined by fish plates and for the last few months I've been losing electrical contact under the closed section next to it. OK, not actually stopping the flow of traffic but voltage drop.

Stupidly persevering with it and "tapping" the rail joiners or nudging them with pliers etc. things work out and on we go...but today I decided to remove the lengths (8 rail joiners in total) and slip in a new length of almost a yard of track.

And there we go!

Back to normal.

Just shows, that all our earlier rantings of rail joiners in the garden were correct.

So, to all newcomers to the forum...Take note when you read about the frailty of these electrical contacts. There are better ways!!!

track2.thumb.jpg.526625d7bf0e271c9b45bf6eb16006a4.jpg

PS.

Griff, yes I was talking about the coaches from the "build a train set"

Running a lot better after filing away the obtrusive overhang.

Hi Rossi, how was your Easter, did you get away for the 4 days, interesting talk about the fish plates I have been using the same joiners from a few layouts back, don't rely on the track joiners what I call them,, every piece of tack I have soldered feeder  wires to no problems be best sine my layout is quite a layout when finely finished, getting there, could you please take some pics of what you did to fix those coaches from build a train set. I thing they pulled the plug on those mags, I asked our News Agent about them and that is what they told me, I have 8 of those coaches am thinking about replacing the bogies to Bachman bogies with better steel wheels , worth the effort as they are a good coach.

It is cooling down here of a morning could be a cooler winter .

I am looking into a new winter project, have got interested into modelling those RO,RO truck ferries and one I am looking into building goes to the Cannery Islands the ship is French owned now it will be a water line model and I will sit it  passing under my double deck cable stay bridge back of the layout, being working on the bridge modelling the Oresund Cable Stay bridge between Denmark and Sweden awesome bridge.

Tony from down under keeping on moving ahead.

Hi Tony.

Just to underline the fact you mentioned...Soldering feeder wires to the track is definitely the way to go. It's the lazy person in me, although I have some feeder wires around the layout.

Fishplates/rail joiners only last so long (over here) due to the amounts of sand/dust accumulated.

My soldering leaves a lot to be desired hence the quick fix.

THOSE carriages!

The previous page shows what I did to the ends of the coaches (an idea given to me in earlier posts).

It helps the situation, although not faultless.

The other week I inadvertently left a class 24 towing one around the layout whilst being in the front garden. The diesel uncoupled and obviously caught up with the stranded carriage and derailed with it... still with power on and straining at the leash!

The engine has suffered (probably mild burn out as it still runs, albeit at a snails pace.)

Not sure if the carriages are really worth the effort.

Rossi

• 2 months later...

Delicate Bachmann locos.

Wasn't so long ago we had probs with this drive shaft.

PIC_1464.thumb.JPG.b99f0c4db04ecc226b0a582653f8a72b.JPG

Had to request another spare, and then that one split.

After some probing about I found the original debris from the first shaft still wedged into the loco, so maybe this was fouling subsequent replacements. Hopefully!

Anyway, to further try my patience, a trusted Bachmann class 25 started playing up. For the last two months it has spasmodically refused to climb gradients, giving up the ghost and emitting a whining sound. Not all the time. Some days it would run perfect. Then it started doing it after descending gradients and later on doing it on level track.

The dreaded drive shafts thought I.

After checking, taking them out and replacing, the problem still persisted. (And they are the very devil to man handle without de-soldering some wiring!).

I then checked that both ends of the inside engine were turning together. OK. So no problem with the expensive part.

Another week went by, frustratingly running it like this.

class25.thumb.jpg.93e5e58d3f18eb257eff7a33702243e3.jpg

Then after much thought I could only assume that the cog/cogs turning the wheels had somehow lost some teeth. A reasonable assumption as the whining was coming from that area.

No. All complete.

I couldn't understand how the driveshafts were functioning and not turning the wheels.

Then the penny dropped as I checked the maintenance sheet.

cuppart.thumb.jpg.a8c30ee785f916311e4385da87c17ab0.jpg

That little plastic b***ard (that's my frustration) part number 8, had become worn and was not gripping the shaft on the bogie worm sufficiently.

Replacements from Bachmann rectified the problem immediately.

But it shows how delicate some of these parts are. The loco is a few years old, but I can't say it's been hammered.

Ok, outside use. But would this do more damage?

Anyway, if any fellow members come across this problem, well... now you know!!!

PIC_1988.JPG.bfb477b47f49e31f48cfa4918496b48a.JPG

Hi Rossi, like the first pic with the shell of the loco  lifted up on stands  and the crane  assisting the lift great scene., pic of the station is great too.

I saw on Netflix a doco on Cannery Islands, called Island Of The Future, a lot on renewable Energy , did they finish the Hydro Electricity power station, great idea lots of wind turbines puts us to shame, our government doesn't like them, what is your main language, Spanish a lot of especially the younger ones speak English, very interesting, you get a lot tourist as well worth a visit,, on the where to go holiday wish list..

It is cold here I may get a chance to cut the bus wires ready for tomorrow, warming up nicely.

Where did you buy the motor shaft from I want to buy a longer shaft, scratch building a measuring loco using the motor and bogies from a F/7 class loco form my test loco , shaft is too short, was thinking of cutting it exstending it with a round plastic tubing.

Tony

Replies:

Turbines. We have a good few over here but I still think they look ugly.

Language: Mine is English!!! Canary Isles is Spanish.(or to be more correct, Canarian which is butchered Spanish lingo. They have a dislike of the Spanish.)

Drive shaft: Bachmann supplied it direct. Took 6 weeks for the delivery. Went on a circular route as usual. Always goes to Spain peninsular, then they read more of the address & find that we are islands off the coast of Africa.

Rossi

Hi Rossi and Griff, many thanks Rossi I have to agree they do I reckon they should be out of view on an island that isn't inhabited, you must have a few islands in your group and some are quite hilly others flat, nice place to visit, yeah I couldn't work the language didn't sound Spanish, was good to here a lot want to speak English like yourself, the blades make a very good train load especially the bigger ones, is one of my projects.

That drive shaft would it fit all Bachmann motors, I have an old Bachman F/7 American loco motor that has a short shaft after a longer shaft , I want to build those locos that check alinement and measure the track as my test loco.

Agree with you too Griff natural lighting is the best can have all the extra lighting and still the pic turns out too dark, I use my iPhone a lot of taking pics but when it comes down to taking pics early evening, not very good so I use my good digital SLR camera takes better pics in dark areas.

Edited by aussietmrail

• 1 year later...

Hi Griff,

Just seen the pics. It happens to us all!

Pics from this corner of my layout (can't remember what pages they were on...Page 13, I think) looked lovely a while back but now the Bougainvillea plus banana trree are claiming bigger squatters rights.

cornermess.thumb.jpg.23589c22b1fd01a25d915a0697e0d3d0.jpg

So it's all being pulled out.

babanatree.thumb.jpg.b11f680f27c209505e8f77a822ac457d.jpg

Don't know how long the fix will be as other projects keep coming up, hence not added to the forum for quite a while.

Meanwhile, the main station still active...Not sure how an IC 125 crept up on that Patriot...

stationpat.thumb.jpg.58e432abd0c67bef573f3abdfbb93e64.jpg

Cheers Rossi