BACHMANN 32-550A 60163 'TORNADO' NOW AVAILABLE

mick

Supplies of Bachmann's eagerly awaited A1 in the form of the recently constructed 60163 'Tornado' are now in model shops. The loco, resplendent in its current British Rail apple green livery, is yet another stunning model to appear from the Bachmann stable over the past few weeks. Recent releases include the new Bachmann standard class 3 tank, the 4-CEP EMU, the upgraded class 47's, the NRM 'City of Truro' and now 'Tornado'. All these latest models appear to have generated immense interest amongst the railway modelling fraternity and after this bumper month or so from Bachmann it will be interesting to see what response that prompts from the likes of Hornby.

I've not sensed the same enthusiasm for many Hornby releases this year apart from the Pullman observation coach. The 'Clans' were welcomed by certain groups when first announced but it all seems to have gone quiet on that front since their release. Personally I haven't been excited about any recent Hornby releases although I did obtain the observation coach. Hornby really do need to introduce something very special and to a very high standard if they aren't to be left in Bachmanns wake. Looking through the current Bachmann catalogue there are a whole host of locomotives that simply ooze power and quality. It's a brand that you feel able to trust for performance straight from the box. I could build a garden railway around Bachmann products knowing that almost everything would be able to handle scale length trains over those conditions. Hornby's class 60 (and perhaps the 56) diesel locomotive is about all that comes anywhere close to offering similar performance.