Pointwork decisions

essex2visuvesi

Trying to decide what pointwork to go with outside

Im planning on using Peco code 100 track (more durable I think than finescale) but cannot decide on the pointwork.... should I go with live or insulfrog points?

I can see the advantages and disadvantages of using both types so would like to gauge what others use and why?

I have used code 100 insulfrog for simplicity in wiring. I have however added extra wires so that I'm not relying on the point blades for electrical contact. Most modern locomotive models, especially diesels, have multiple wheel power collection and don't have the problem of stalling on dead frogs.

I'd have to agree with IanR and opt for Insulfrog points with the addition of bonding wires.

I used to be put off insulfrog points because of the large 'plastic' gap between the adjacent rails at the frog 'v' which always looked unsightly and unrealistic. That's a thing of the past now I'm happy to say, and the isolation gap is very small indeed - barely noticeable.

It's best to keep everything as simple as possible when operating outdoors. There's not the same opportunity for concealing wiring as there is with an indoor model and fewer places where they can be safely routed. I really don't think insulfrog will cause you any problems and they'll certainly make things a whole lot easier.

• 2 months later...

I've used a mixture of both insulfrog and electrofrog. I have to say that the modern electrofrog points are very easy to wire and I've had no trouble with them. I too have used Peco code 100 track although code 75 is possible outdoors as it's only the rail height that differs in the codes. If you want to run older locos with deep flanges on their wheels then code 100 is the only one to use because the flanges will ride on the sleepers of code 75. I know of many indoor modelers here who use modern locos but will only use code 100 track as code 75 is harder to get.

If you want to make life REALLY difficult for yourself you could always build your own track and points from the C&L range but the amount of track that is usually on garden railways means that that you will be 6' under before it's finished. :lol:

So take your pick.

I must eat my words as my railway is now all Insulfrog as I was starting to have big problems with the station with all Electrofrog points. The two main station were built track work wise one with Insulfrogs and the other with Electrofrogs. In the end the Insulfrogs one the day.

Roy.