Bachmann Art deco station

essex2visuvesi

Do you have a link to it? Do you mean this model?

Scenecraft%2044-066.jpg

I would advise some kind of UV protection. I have heard that even artists matte medium helps stop UV. If you can I would go so far as to take it apart and paint it. Then again you could also just put a cover on it when not running trains, or remove it.

I am planning on buying old buildings from train shows, they tend to have lots of cheap junk on tables. I will probably just paint mine crudely since I want to have many of them.

I have used DecoArt DuraClear matt varnish as extra protection on all my outdoor plastic/resin buildings.

DuraClear is available from Hobbycraft. This seems to be an excellent varnish, just make sure you spend lots of time stirring it.

Ian.

• 2 years later...
traingeekboy said:

Be careful automotive laquer may have solvents that will melt the plastic.

We have used cellulose paint for yonks now on our other models and don't have any problems with melting. We also have a good cellulose primer for them too.

As for outdoor models we have been experimenting a bit and found that cellulose primer mixed with a little Rustin's Red Oxide primer makes a good U.V barrier then we spray the relevant colours of the buildings and use a cellulose varnish on top.

It seems funny that we have been building houses etc before we even started a railway in the garden but we had a couple of years trials as the U.V is quite powerful in Aberystwyth (Though you wouldn't know today :lol: ).

The buildings weather quite naturally and one of the Airfix cottages has a nice toned down effect.

Hope this helps,

Fiona X

PanAm.jpg

ThestationRabbit said:

...We have used cellulose paint for yonks now...

That made me smile. I haven't heard that reference to a period of time for, well........donkeys years! It was a term we used when we were youngsters but seemed to be dissuaded from doing so by our parents and I'd always come to look upon it as a 'slang' word. I wonder if it's a term that Griff is familiar with?

Back to the subject and those aeroplanes look stunning. I wondered if they were to play a part in your layout......an airport perhaps? As for the buildings, then if you can give UV protection then usually all we need do is let mother nature do the rest. She's not quite so quick with the brush and paints but she does a far better job than I could ever manage. How many buildings have you constructed to date?

Hi Mick I thought about an Airport though I have a shed reserved for those! They are only 1/144 so I can have a good diorama in a massive case, though that is yet another project on the back burner. It is tempting to do a little airfield in the garden, the aircraft canopies might have to be painted black, although looking at some aircraft in museums yellowed canopy perspex is the in thing!

We have resisted the urge to have an airfield as we have moved on to 1/48th aircraft and 1/144 from 1/72 in the 1980's, so going back would be a little naughty, though never say never and watch this space.

So far I have 10 buildings or so and currently getting more both HO and OO judicially spacing them etc, though this part again is all planning until we are ready to place them in the garden. I had my first trial of the Cylinder for Woking last summer with a partially finished cylinder a few trees and bods and painted the soldiers for Woking Junction, so once the track is laid there really won't be much trouble in finishing it, besides keeps the momentum up when it is raining.

My current builds are the Hornby Modern House and the Bungalow, I love those Town and Country kits.

I am thinking of getting the Art Deco station by Bachmann for the seaside and replace the old Triang one that didn't wear too well outside, not enough protection on the metal.

Here is a pic of the Cylinder, notice the size of it compared to the OO gauge trees on the left (That is based on the yardage the Wells gave) :o

Regards,

Fiona X

1075691_150312568504519_1011344450_n.jpg