Griff's Burger Joint

traingeekboy

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks roddy, gee you were lucky my High school didn't have either a wood or metal later, yeah times change, I don't belong to any woodturning club now, too much crap went on, only belong to a train club.

Here is a pic of a coffee table I did for a friend the coaster has a LED lights in it why the drink was that colour, change colours, the time is a mixture of camper laurel with a mango top, I like working with both timbers.

would like to do a woodturning course mainly to learn h to sharpen the chisels, the key to better turning.

Got a piece of camper laurel, planning to turn a vase out of it for my wife.

My friends coffee table  a.jpg

587a489429d34_Myfriendscoffeetablea.jpg.b85e6096e6ef8b1fffbf588fd9c09d10.jpg

Time for a photo montage of the Chaos Garden.

[album]3135[/album]

Chaos garden with shed.

[album]3127[/album]

More Chaos Garden with shed. Those yellow sun flowers are up to 6 feet tall and are there because they attract lots of birds who come feed on them.

[album]3128[/album]

A future shed killer lurking in the garden.

[album]3129[/album]

Hammer in hand; we're half way there now.

[album]3130[/album]

Just a little more work with the sawzal.

[album]3131[/album]

I believe this is where I said RAHR!

[album]3132[/album]

Last bits on the ground all cut up for scrap. A man came by as I was halfway through it and started loading up the pieces to take in for cash. Nothing got wasted.

[album]3133[/album]

Now what do I do? I have a large empty space to fill up.

[album]3134[/album]

The area to be considered. I believe it's about 7x9 feet.

This concludes the Chaos Garden visit.

Hi Griff, that is some saw that sawzal is would of cut though the metal sheeting with ease, I want to get one too mainly to cut the corners of the square wood blanks to make it easier to turn round, too dangerous using a chain saw. and trimming tree branches, can get a battery one too, what brand is it, looks like a Ryobi as they have that colour yellow.

Good pic of you too especially studding what to put in the shed place, ha, ha, :lol: I grow sun flowers too at home to bring in the native birds, have quite a few of them growing only small at the moment, have a bird bath for them too which they love to have a bath in.

The bird is a cockatoo, I believe you have them over there too in the wild, must of been birds that escaped from their cages, I could get up pretty close to one cockatoo when we used to feed them sun flower seed, had 17 of them in at one time.

We have lot of different parrots over here too and the prettiest ones are the Lorikeets, we feed them with bread and honey, they love it have heaps come in for a fee feed and what a site it is.

And you can see my chaos garden in the back ground, took me a lot of years to get the plants like that, would like to see more colour in the back garden which I am doing now planting plants that have lots of colour, my October lilies are starting bud now out in the front garden makes a very good show of colour pics to follow.

Be interesting to what you come up with for that empty space hopefully a yard for your layout.

Tony

A mixture of pics 003  a.jpg

009  a b.jpg

587a48952d120_Amixtureofpics003a.jpg.f60fb3150e523df6209d6a8e61906809.jpg

587a48954040c_009ab.jpg.77cb36f2342a9c25cbc57b7dd10dc538.jpg

Hi Griff, we are classed in a semi rainforest area and do get a lot of rain forest birds, but you get birds species we don't have like the humming bird so many different species of them and saw some pretty good pics of your finches and different small birds, you could put in a bird bath and bird feeder that will attract them in. Here is a video clip of a humming bird feeder and you will see some links to a squirrel proof feeder, awesome .

We get falcons over here too and mainly hawks around us, the birds disappear when a hawk turns up , the trouble when you have a lot bids in your garden and the neighbour cat, tips the bird bath over trying to catch a bird every now and then, we have sparrows also but not around here down the local shops they are there.

">

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

hopping to get some more woodturning on some more pens today, even if I just turn one pen, back to the TL tunnel module the weekend should be able to get the bottom track side cutting finished before tunnel 9,what do you call the concrete tunnel entrance.

We get the occasional humming bird in our garden. I seem to always miss them when they visit, but Sara has seen them several times. WE also have these huge moths called humming bord moths that hover in front of a plant and stick a long probe into the flowers. Pretty crazy looking things when in flight.

Hi Griff, did a search on those hummingbird moth, you were right about them being huge, some very nice colours also.

A friend sent me another link on those wind turbines being transported by rail, heaps of pics and other links, like this way with the idea of having the blades in a specially built container.

http://southern.railfan.net/flat/cars/loads/wind/wind.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Woodturning today want to turn three pens and put them together and finish the last two on Saturday, back to finishing off the TL tunnel module working on the lower track cutting and road access to those flange oilers.

Tony. :roll::roll:

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...

A good summer so far. The garden is growing nicely and the blank area has some things in it.

Also, of note this summer:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-34090165

The nazi gold train has sort of been making me crazy with excitement. Finally today they released more info about why they thought it was a real find. I'd like to see that ground penetrating radar image too. And also one can expect to see nice pictures of the train once it's pulled out of the ground.

And also some tragic news I may not have reported:

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_28528820/griffs-hamburgers-close-denver-and-arvada

My journal's namesake is going to shut and be torn down.

• 1 month later...

I'm slowly working my way through everyones personal journals yours this time...

Your garden looks a lot better than mine! mine is green grass, green trees, green nettles and very much less under control.

I'm sure that tin shed would have been easier to take apart with a electric screw driver, I've built several of that type. That one is about £250 in the UK, about 380 dollars US, you could have bought a new loco with that flogged off on ebay for half price!!

Probably not as much fun in taking apart though..

Linking your sad loss of Griffs with one of your earliest posts,

I have a friend who is a pub enthusiast! He tours the country making notes about their history taking photos and of course Sampling them ( and does lectures about them.) Finally found one called the Etherington Arms and Etherington being his surname also tried for the free pint to be told, we're all Etheringtons round here, so now he knows where his surname comes from.

• 5 months later...

Wow. Missed this last post on here. I've been semi active for some time, but now I am back!

A late response, but I did try the screw driver. That shed had been in place since the 70's. Half the screws worked the other half got stripped out so wouldn't turn. Hence the Sawzall which was free. Borrowed it from my former brother in law.

Not much railwaying on my end. Did purchase a new video camera…

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/blackmagicpocketcinemacamera

And some cheap glass to play with on it. An odd russian lens I know nothing about, but it's so cheap!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/391394945173

And this super crappy, but fun, Holga lens.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/191273610821

The holga is known for all the flaws in the lens, so it may be ideal for helping layout shots look good.

holsam12.jpgholsam12.jpghttp://dcam.dc-accessories.com/holsam12.jpg' alt='URL>'>

Hope everyone's all right.

Good to see you back Griff. The snow over there made the news over here in the UK. It looks lovely but you're more than welcome to it so please don't send any of it our way.

Be great to see you back modelling soon - that's railway modelling of course. :)

Mick,

Every year we get snow. It's what happens. And yet, every year there is a huge panic over it. It's kind of amusing.

I simply waited in my house and watched it accumulate at a rate of about 2 inches an hour. Then I shoveled out the car and the sidewalk, and went to buy groceries. The best part of snow days, is that it's very peaceful and quiet outside. I also have some tricks for cold weather. I learned as a teen that I could wear my converse hi tops in any kind of cold wet weather if I just put plastic baggies over my socks. It's amazing how warm your feet stay if you just line the inside of a show with a simple plastic bag. And lots of layers of clothing. For instance if one layers two pair of pants in cold weather, you can pretty much survive anything. There is no such thing as too cold weather, only clothes that aren't warm enough. ;)

Winter time is slow for most us. I do peek into the forum often enough, just don't always post anything.

I have watched some of the newer vids on youtube as well. Maybe I posted this before.

">

And I sit around and ponder building another N scale layout. When I was a kid in the 70's model railroader magazine published some articles on building a switching/shunting type layout. IT always stayed with me as something I would want for a layout. Really simple with a small goods yard and lots of switching action. SO I have been down in the tiny basement moving things around and reviving the old door panel I used for my old layout.

http://s158.photobucket.com/user/powershots70/media/EPSON001a_zps3e31cde8.jpg.html

Hmmm.. testing this link it takes some time to load. Maybe this link:

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t86/powershots70/EPSON001a_zps3e31cde8.jpg~original

My ideal situation is to have several railways all for different reasons. Love running the ho scale passenger trains, but also would love an american style switching layout. I also have some Lionel O scale things that I need to get on the track again, it's all vintage 1950's. You know, heavy big clunky metal with a smoke maker and a whistle. :)

Yet I am so busy with real life things. Working on a huge documentary film project the past few years. Lots of flying around the country interviewing people and lots of footage to pore over in order to select shots for the film. I could say I am busy, but a lot of this is just me sitting around and thinking a lot.

You'll just have to sit and ponder while watching the trains going round.

As far as what to wear in the snow, I'm with you on that one, but I also belong to a kilt forum and there are several members from Denver, USA. And they'd be fully Kilted whatever the weather.