Griff's Burger Joint

traingeekboy

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dumb dumb stupid idiot!!!

A while back I set things in motion by purchasing 5 pieces of flex track.

Last week I went to the train store and bought fishplates/track joiners and more flex track so I would be ready for my moment of inspiration.

Today the moment hit. So i've got joiners and ten pieces of track to put down. I want to put down at least five sections of flex as a minimum. Just get the ball rolling. Perfect weather. Nothing else that needs to get done... hmmm, where are the track nails? Where'd I put my jar of track nails? Ok, lets tear the house apart for a bit. Hmmm... no track nails.... DARNIT!

Oh it gets better.

I'm a builder'er, I builder train things. I decided to build a bridge instead. I started building one of the two big bridges my layout needs. Not scale bridges, but things that are sturdy, yet evoke the feeling of railroad bridges.

Building a bridge is exasperating, somewhat like misplacing ones nail jar. Lots of mathematics involved in a free lanced bridge even if it's just a pseudo rail bridge.

Neighbor borrowed miter saw other day... run over to neighbors... get saw... start building bridge... run into design problems... realize there's a lot of sawin' to do...

Sara, "Did you check that plastic tub you'd gathered your tools in the other day."

Griff, "I dunno all I can remember is I put the nails in a bullion jar."

I'm not going to tell you the next part. :oops::oops::oops:

And now to end it on a high note, for me that is; since i'm sure everyone is laughing and pointing at the guy with the kick me sign taped on his back.

Just won another baggage car on ebay: OO scale, Very pretty, Very British, Very cheap.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/140758587827?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_500wt_1018" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I assume it's 70's or 80's but it'll look great with my steam engines regardless.

I checked a currency converter and it said 5 dollars is 3.25 pounds. I guess I did get a good deal. Cool!

So... I know Lima sold basically one set of coaches painted into just about every livery they could think of. So, is this even close to the real thing? No that it matters, it's still gonna run behind a steam engine which has got to be wrong anyway.

All I have is this link and it's incomplete as far as the product line. I couldn't find it on here.

http://www.oogardenrailway.co.uk/posting.php?mode=edit&f=51&t=318&p=5143" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Griff,

If you are seriously into british railway models then this book for me anyway has been a gold mine of information not only on the product but also its value, I use it as a guide for insurance purposes and my insurance company are more than happy with me using it.

''Ramsey's British Model Trains Calalogue'' Edition 7 is the current issue out and they come out about every two years. Its compiled by Pat Hammond and the last issue cost me £28 inclusive of P&P. UK postage.

Ian

Hmmmm... 28 pounds... wonder what i could get up to with 28 pounds in my pocket. NOPE! not gonna buy it. I will pester you for info from it Grockle.

So the bridge is coming along. It's made out of all kinds of things I found, like wood and copper pipe strap for plumbing. I will have to buy some paint as I want to paint it silver so it's very visible,and also to hide that some parts are made of copper.

Ian, i'm collecting a few British trains to mix in with my european stuff. But i do like my other stuff too. :)

Tragedy struck the other day when this came up on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/350571647722?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_927wt_1003" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I used to see these as a kid. they always fascinated me. I have a little cash stashed away for something like this, but i expect it will end up in the unreasonable price range of around 350 - 400 dollars. *sigh*

I look at it every day... limited edition of 700 made. Farewell dream train. :cry:

Well i am eyeing it, but seriously I know what things like this sell for and it's not going to be cheap. It's a very signature piece for any Italian railway. There are other models, but they were not good models.

I suspect retail new would have been around 270.00 dollars in the least.

Besides I do need to locate a Deltic at some point and that should be cheaper. FYI right now eyeing one with the box.

Here is one at current value on italian ebay:

http://www.ebay.it/itm/RIVAROSSI-RARO-ED-LIMITA-N-684-GALLETTO-ELETTROTRENO-ETR-213-FS-art-5303-/270980782146?pt=Modellismo_Dinamico&hash=item3f17b69842#ht_9944wt_1026" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

449 euro = 560.00 $ That would be almost a house payment. I love trains but that is ridiculous.

Moving my daughter out of the house, moving Sara into the house. Gardening, ahhhh yes... gardening. Very soothing.

Yesterday I cut more wood for my off scale bridge build. I'm out of materials, so I need to examine what I have to come up with a substitute material. I think overall the plan is going along smoothly. perhaps I should post up a picture of it.