Griff's Burger Joint

traingeekboy

At least you got your roof sorted at long last Griff. I am still waiting for my car insurance claim after being driven into , where he hit the rear left of my car, he now states that I hit his drivers door. Of course I have disputed this and my insurers are saying that I must admit liability. Told them axactly where they could go with that and said quite firmly and in no uncertain words that considering that he drove into the rear left of my car how the HELL could I have hit his drivers door. The other party is trying to claim for damage that was already done on his car prior to him hitting me. Mentioned also that he could be trying to make a fraudulent claim against me. That made them sit up and take notice that I was not going to be walked over by anyone including my own insurance company. Considering that the accident took place 13 plus months ago and all my documents were returned to all relevant parties with about 4 weeks of the accident back in Sept 2011, his statements minus damage claim to his car appeared over 12 months later after the accident actually happened. Something stinks and I am not going to get collared for it.

Ian

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's how things are here Griff, cold and damp, certainly not ideal for garden railwaying. I really can't remember a summer as miserable as the one we've endured this year and it's done nothing to encourage others to try their hand at a garden layout. Progress is painfully slow, the forum is extremely quiet, but I'm not about to give up on it just yet.

The weathers been perfect train running weather here. My roof is being installed still; this means that the layout is covered in all sorts of debris. No running yet.

On a high note, our election is almost over. This means no more campaign ads everywhere. What a relief. They've been touting this election as a close race. Every poll that comes out one way or the other gets reported as a huge swing in the election. It gets tiring to read one day that your guy is winning and the next he's losing. My cure was to monitor a statistician who had guessed 100% on the last election.

http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes.com/''>http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes.com/'>http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes.com/

Not that you guys in Britain care about our little voting thing. My only point is, the media wants it to seem exciting so they have something to report on, I prefer to go with a rational assessment.

Was just wondering how you were enjoying the election of the next President. Over here we are getting our fair share of it as well. As if its going to effect us that much. Not as though its on our own doorstep.

However we do have some voting comming up on November 17. Its something to do with the Police but I haven't taken much interest in it at all yet.

Ian

• 2 weeks later...

Well my roof is on, but they did a shoddy job so now I am having polite discussion with them. More on that front when it's resolved.

Been peeking into the forum but not much activity on here. My activity has been zero since I managed to catch the flu the past three days. Now I feel normal. It's sunny and 67 degrees out. Time to go clear debris off the mains and see what's up with the layout.

Well, the only thing that kept me sane was the guy who does stats on fivethirtyeight.com. He called it all correctly. I am very pro Obama and quite a centrist, so all is good. Quite a celebration here actually. :)

I heard a brilliant comment about Mit Romney from a British comedian "The wheel's still turning but the hamster's dead" :)

We had almost continuous coverage on the TV here of the U.S presidential elections. Some were very worried that Oven Mitt Romney would get in and I have friends who live in Arizona who are die hard republicans who didn't want Romney in the white house. Here down under there was massive coverage of Romney's speech to his faithful telling them he would not worry about 47% of the population as they are bludgers and just want a free handout. Others say that Romney and the Republicans didn't court the minorities such as gays, Afro Americans,Latinos,Hispanics as the Republicans don't seem to realise that the white Anglo majority are no longer the majority in the U.S. If the Obama doesn't get the ever ballooning debt under control then the U.S will really be in the sh#t. I suppose that most of the money is being borrowed from China and if they decide not to lend anymore until a large chunk is paid back international relations could get very interesting. Still there is another focus now with Israel having a go at Hamas which diverts the media attentions from troubles at home.

Roy.

It's sort of strange. Out right wing has pandered to the extreme right so much that they have lost touch with the middle. Our left, since Clinton, has moved to the middle. 50 years ago Obama's policies would have seemed very middle ground, possibly conservative.

I'm just glad it's over with for now. There is this delusion with voters here, that a governing body should represent all their personal agendas as a voter. Nope, not possible. There is also the delusion that a government should work efficiently. It ain't happening. I believe the last time we had an "efficient government" we got Stalin, mussolini, and hitler; i'll stick to the bumbling governments they are less dangerous to their own populace than efficient ones. ;) So long as they don't swing to far left or right I am a happy man.

So about trains... i got some in the mail. Need to post up some piccies again. :)

Discovered on Wikipedia:

Thanksgiving: "...Every year, the President of the United States will "pardon" a turkey, which spares the bird's life and ensures that it will spend the duration of its life roaming freely on farmland."

^ Megan Slack. "The Definitive History of the Presidential Turkey Pardon | The White House". Whitehouse.gov. Retrieved 2012-11-11.

Some strange customs aren't there? There's more to Thanksgiving that the pardoning of a turkey of course but that bit caught my eye. Hope you had a great day Griff.

Yeah we had a a nice time, although sara has the flu and had to stay home. I did bring back a nice plate of food for her.

It is a strange holiday. Holidays have become very monetized over here. Halloween is second only to christmas for the amount of money spent. People go crazy making their houses creepy looking with fake cobwebs and plastic skeletons.

The day after Thanksgiving is when everyone begins the christmas season over here. I grew up with different cultural beliefs, my parents are atheists but we still kept the Christmas tree up until the epiphany merely because that's how it's done in Italy. Here people put up their lights and trees the day after thanksgiving. I find it sort of strange, by the time I get to actual christmas, I'm all burned out on christmas lights and christmas feeling. I'd rather start christmas maybe a week before the actual event.

Much as I do like a good drink, the trend of turning every holiday into "amateur night" sort of bothers me too. I tend to avoid going out during holidays because I'm tired of young douche bags testing out their drink training wheels.

Oh... Did someone mention deltics? That's strange because I just stumbled upon this here video about deltics:

">
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Looks like railways in garden sheds are a thing of the past - a shipping container looks way more fun.....

Indeed and they are and quite cheap as well... we have 2 20 footers in the garden for storage of the kids outdoor toys and our "gardening" tools (ride on lawnmower, log splitter, quad bike etc)

We paid a little over €2500 for the pair including delivery, to buy/build a similarly sized shed would have cost 3 times that much.

With regards to conversion to a raliway room, the main problem would be maintaining a fairly constant temperature/humidity and fitting windows

If you watch that video she seems to have taken care of the amenities. It seems warm and dry to me. :)

Im guessing where she lives doesn't quite have the extremes of temperature we do here (-24.8c this morning)

And we have more wet weather, its RAINING yet again.

Ian