ROY'S DRIVEL

cleanerg6e

Yes I have a bought video with a brief shot of that loco working Griff.

I don't usually like G scale but one of the best videos on you tube is a G Scale line in Arizona own by a Chef who has some up market Mexican Restaurants. If you think my line is BIG this gives a whole new meaning to the word BIG.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHRU_QOungw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14IzCX7Mvks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VBW50ctHoY

Roy.

• 1 month later...

Once again things have come to a halt on my garden railway as mum is not able to drive at the moment due to cataracts in her eyes. So I'm taking her shopping and anywhere she needs to go. The 500 piece jigsaw puzzle I bought for dad that he only partly completed before he died of a "Saint at Radley" I have completed it and have had framed and is now hanging in my lounge room. The loco is 2945 "Hillingdon Court". The artist has used artistic license with a late BR totem on the tender, although all the Saint class locos had been scrapped by then. I've started making another one called "Morning Service" which shows a Dean Goods on a short freight train and two people arriving at church in a horse and cart with the vicar standing outside his church and three boys fishing in a nearby stream. Dad made this one and said it fought to the very last of it's 1000 pieces.

I also gave him a 636 piece jigsaw of a Don Breckon painting called "Country Junction" which shows the now preserved 2-6-2 4575xx Prairie Tank loco arriving at a station with a local bus waiting to take the passengers onto their destination. This jigsaw had three pieces missing and I asked dad if he kept the sales docket so I could get a refund. Well he didn't so I bought another one from the UK.

The books on the GWR that belonged to dad were to be sent to the UK by the courier company DHL. They wanted to know the value of each book, plus each title. They said that it was for insurance but three boxes was going to cost 500 pounds to ship.WTF!!!. I've now sent them by post.

Summer here is a good time to make jigsaws as it can be too hot to work on the railway or garden. I can also make kits as a break from jigsaws of vice versa.

Roy.

saint 001.JPG

That's a really nice looking framed jigsaw Roy and a fitting tribute to your late father. I'm sorry to hear about your mum's cataracts and hope that it's not too long before she's able to get back behind the wheel.

Books are heavy aren't they, especially when they require posting. I guess that's one of the benefits of the digital age although I always enjoy reading a proper book as opposed to a digital copy.

I used to love doing jigsaws but they've sort of gone out of fashion these days. We did however receive a small jigsaw through the post a few days ago which would have been nice if it weren't for the fact that we'd actually ordered something much more expensive and they'd sent us the wrong order!

After I've finished the "Morning Service" jigsaw Mick I still have another three to do. I got a local printing company to do the framing. I looked on the internet but there was so many conflicting ideas on how to mount jigsaws and frame them that I decided to get professionals to do it for me.

According to mum dad's plaque has been installed so I'll go and have a look today and take a photo of it and see how they went with getting loco KGV on the plaque.

Mum's cleaning lady is unable to do mum's unit cleaning due to her mother who is the same age as my mum suffering a stroke and in having a scan they found a large tumor behind her aorta. So I'm cleaning mum's place for her at the moment. Mum doesn't like it as she feels I have enough to do cleaning wise without having to clean for her as well, but she's my mum and as I've said to her I made a promise to dad on the night he died that I'd look after her and I will. Parents raise their kids and look after them till they can look after themselves so the kids should look after the parents when they reach old age. Greeks, Italians and Lebanese often have the senior relatives living with them and they are part of the family right up until they die. But Anglos tend to want to get rid of their parents out of the house and into retirement homes. Of course most Anglo parents don't want to live with their kids families. Mum told me years ago that my bother and I moving out was in some ways a wonderful thing as mum said that in the mornings she or dad didn't have to put dressing gowns on to walk around the house and could walk around in their "birthday suits" which they hadn't done since my brother arrived on the scene.

Roy.

I had to pop up to my work storage container in order to get 336 toilet rolls or 7 packs containing 48 rolls per pack. Mind how you go, oh you can go as often as you like with 336 loo rolls. On the way home I called into the memorial gardens and took a photo of dad's plaque. So here it is. The photo of dad was taken at mum and dad's 40th wedding anniversary and the photo of 6000 King George V was taken sometime in the early 1980's outside Swindon Works ( most of which has now been demolished)

Roy.

dad's plaque 001.JPG

Roy

The particular section of wall in the photo (behind the loco) still stands today. It was originally the Iron foundary, but more recently a workshop of a company that did steam loco restorations. This company was turfed out as the building was going to be turned into an extension of the Macarthur Glen "outlet" shopping centre, but that seems to have been put on hold, with the recession and all.

• 2 weeks later...

My niece Isobel is still having trouble coming to terms with dad's death. She was in tears standing in front of dad's plaque. Mum is going to give her a photo of dad that was taken at the dialysis center on St Patrick's Day a couple of years ago when he was unwell but ok.

Elizabeth Murdoch the mother of Rupert Murdoch (News of the World owner) is to have a state funeral in Melbourne today. She died about a month ago at age 103. She did an interview when she reached 100 and said that she clashed with her son on the role of the media in the modern age. She said she found it disgusting the way in which the media feels it has the right to pry into peoples private lives. She also said that her son Rupert felt the media had a right to pry into peoples private lives and to dig up as much dirt on people as possible as long as it makes money for his media empire. She found all that totally abhorrent and later the phone hacking scandal as well. Her son feels that the ends justifies the means.

She was not short of money but did a lot of charity work and used her name and family connections to get the rich to cough up cash for worthy causes for people far less privileged.

So for me she seemed a nice lady with a conscience who has a ruthless son who has no conscience. Rupert Murdoch is not an Australian anymore but is now an American citizen and has been for years.

Roy.

I missed the movie links you had posted in reply to my comment about that switcher. Sometimes so much gets posted i just scroll to the bottom and miss things.

Sorry to hear about your family members still struggling through the loss. I still have days when a memory of my mother pops up and I feel paralyzed. I've heard you just never get over it.

You say American as if it was a bad word. ;) No worries, i've been known to renounce my American half. :lol:

I never had a good thing to say about rupert. His mother sounds interesting. Exactly how much is enough, or not enough? I've always wondered about that, especially since many of the Super wealthy (those who's worth is equal or greater than many countries. ) inherited all their wealth. It seems like there is always someone hard working and driven who creates the empire, the the others just reap the benefit and act as if they are somehow specially gifted and entitled.

traingeekboy said:

You say American as if it was a bad word. ;) No worries, i've been known to renounce my American half. :lol:

No I didn't mean it to sound if being an American is bad. Rupert Murdoch renounced his Australian citizenship in order to become a worldwide media baron. At the time he did it you had to be an American to own parts of the American media. He does visit Australia but is a U.S citizen. I can't understand why he didn't just go for dual nationality. I have it.

It was also awful to see that massacre in Newton Connecticut and some are still saying that is was the founding fathers of the U.S who said that every American has the right to bear arms. But the founding fathers didn't have high powered military assault weapons. One chap from the NRA said that the principal or head master should have had an assault rifle and that teachers should also have them. You can imagine what that would be like, I have three assault rifles and an anti tank rocket launcher in my office cupboard along with countless rounds of ammunition. We are now safe.........for the time being until some who's a "few sandwiches short of a picnic" breaks into my office and takes me the staff and kids out with my own weapons.

What is it in America that if you don't like someone and you have money you can sue them or if your mentally unstable you can pay for your own shrink. If you don't have money and you can get access to a high powered assault weapon, you can then go on a mindless shooting rampage. I also feel sorry for the assassins family and I hope they're not targeted in revenge attacks.

Roy.

I have avoided any news about the recent slaughter. But still stuff trickles in.

One of the teachers he killed was his mother. The guns belonged to her. She had sent both her sons to gun training to learn how to use them. Most gun deaths are between people who know each other; either accidents or intentional, it doesn't matter.

I seriously doubt anything will change here regarding gun laws. We live under a government that is bought and sold by big money; guns are big money.

I am somewhat of a cynic.

I have a video here on early railways worldwide and at one stage the legislator in New York was extremely corrupt in that railway tycoons paid the legislator to have the law their way and if they didn't then their rivals paid the legislator to have the law their way. It seems that not a lot has changed.

Did you know that "Fast Food" was invented in the U.S and no it wasn't Mcdonalds. It was the buying and selling of railroad stocks on the New York stock exchange that made "fast food" a reality. People didn't have time to go home and make lunch due to the pace of selling. They needed instant food at the work place and so it was invented for them.

Back to governments selling out to the highest bidder, over here it's not much different as our state governments are allowing China to buy huge tracts of farming land simply to grow food for the population in China. It's hard to refuse the Chinese with a sell or else attitude when your own government is in "bed" with Beijing and pressuring you to sell as well.

Also over here on the news this morning is the anti fat brigade having a swipe at Jamie Oliver and Nigella Lawson saying that their recipes are loaded with fats and sugars and an excess of salt and shouldn't be looked upon as food for everyday no matter how good it may taste.

I was shocked when I saw a council workmate buy 6 cans of V energy drink which is similar to Red Bull. One can of V is like having a cup of tea or coffee with 13 sugars in it.

TGB you say your a cynic oh good that makes two of us.

Roy.

In post 124 Mick said that the benefit of the digital age is that you can now read books. Our local book shop called "The Turning Page" is full of people of all ages buying old fashion books and mum buys loads of books from them. When she has read them she gives the books to the retirement village library. I asked the owner what about digital books and was told that copyright can easily be infringed and there's nothing worse than being totally absorbed in a book only for the battery to go flat. That doesn't happen with traditional hard copy. The copyright infringement he gave me an example, Hitler exterminated the Jews of Europe becoming Hitler just didn't like the Jews of Europe. The bloke who owns the book shop (David) is German and recently took his cousin (who still lives in Germany)to the memorial gardens where dad is. David's mother is interred there and his cousin said that the memorial gardens where the most beautiful she'd ever seen. Well they do have 20 full time gardeners.

The other day I took mum down in her car to the eye surgeon to have her cataracts examined. Her right eye is really bad and she is going to have the operation early next year. Whilst mum was being examined I went into the plaza at Penrith to the ABC shop and bought three DVD's. Two for myself and one for mum, her Christmas present. The two for myself are Industrial Steam in Australia and the Blue Planet. The steam DVD shows a lot of the two private companies in the Hunter Valley near Newcastle on the north coast of New South Wales. The East Greta (pronounced Greeta) Coal Company which became the South Maitland Railway PTY LTD and JABAS which was a merger of John A Brown and Abermain Seaham Collieries LTD. They became The Richmond Vale Railway and then Coal and Allied. Their line from Hexham to Stockrington number 2 coal mine was the last commercial operating steam railway in Australia. The steam railway operation was wound up in June 1987. Coal was hauled by road after that but only for 6 months and then the pit closed. This was the railway that operated the ex ROD's.

I've wanted a copy of David Attenborough's Blue Planet for ages as I also love the sea and the creatures that live in it.

The third DVD that I got (for mum) was the complete series of the British sitcom "The Good Life". Mum loves all the old British comedies and "Some Mothers do ave em" will be next for her birthday in February.

Just got a phone call for the local computer shop to say that mum's laptop is ready to pick up having been updated. Mum and dad bought the laptop but never connected to the internet due to the laptop only being used as a typewriter with a printer. It took over a week to update it due to never having been updated since they bought it four years ago. I'll have it updated again in December 2013.

Roy.

Edited by Guest

Some quick thoughts about your drivel.

Sara is a writer and she refuses to even consider E books for her books. I tend to read lots of old pulp 50's 60's sci fi. I love old paperbacks, especially Ace double's. I gobble up all that cheesy sci fi like people read the news paper. I am all about actual books. I like to read in bed or on the couch. I can't imagine controlling a computer or the results of hurling the thing on the floor before rolling over to sleep. ;):lol:

Your mother should be really happy after the cataract surgery. My dad just had his a couple months ago and now has 20/20 vision. He wore glasses all his life. They tried to get him to start wearing Bi focals. I convinced him all he need was a pair of cheap non prescription glass for reading as everything else is crystal clear now.

When it comes to politics i tend to think Machiavelli knew what he was talking about. He looked at human behavior and saw that people as a whole do not change. If you haven't read The Prince, it's worth reading. Sadly it's just a small little book. I wish it was a ten volume set. So perhaps I'm not so much cynical as pragmatic.

When I was younger I went through a phase of being a rabid believer of what I believed. I really thought I knew it all. I think age does things to you. Back then I thought I was fighting a war with closed minded people. Ha H a :lol::lol: I'm much more open minded now.

Having said that... The idea that china is buying land to farm sort of makes my blood boil. Farm the land yourselves and let them buy the product. Selling land to another nation seems to go against the whole idea of sovereignty. Maybe i'm just thick. What's the incentive? Or, where are the kickbacks to the politicians going?

Hopefully your Mum will have some good laughs while watching those DVD's. My mother was crazy about all the brit sitcoms. Although i never watched them, she would regale me with retellings of whole episodes.

If Mum doesn't enjoy the DVD it is guaranteed a good home here. Brititsh comedy at its best back in the 70's and 80's. The Good Life, staring one of my boy hood crushes Felicity Kendall, voted Rear of The Year some time back, and I have still got a soft spot for her even now. Penelope Keith being the other female character actress playing the very upper class snob. I must be going senile in my old age.

Ian

My chiropractor also had a crush on Felicity Kendall and then saw her on the telly in a movie where she seemed to spend most of her time on her back with her ankles behind her ears.

In one episode of the "Good life" Jerry is house sitting at Tom and Barbara's waiting for an electrician who doesn't show up to check Tom's wiring for his effluence digestor and Margo strokes Jerry's leg saying " we could go home and you know, and Jerry says "yeeessss well I'd better have a look at it (the effluence digestor) which had stopped working. Margo says "well thank you very much Jerry!!!! that's the last time I play the tart for you!!!" :lol:

Apparently a pump had given out and Tom says " that serves me right for trusting army surplus" Barbara says " you should have been suspicious when you saw Kitchener's picture on the box" :lol:

Roy.

The trouble with E books is that the copyright is so easily compromised.

Mum's due to have the surgery on the 28/2/2013.

With politicians never believe anything until it's officially denied. (yes minister)

The Chinese are calling the shots these days like the Japanese did in the 1980's and our federal government is too weak to stand up to them.

Yes my mum and dad to a lesser extent love British sit coms.

The only American comedy I really liked was The Golden Girls. In one episode Ma is in bed with her late husbands best friend and Dorothy comes in and ask Ma "what the hell is this" Ma's reply " afterglow" :lol:

Roy.

As this segment is personnel drivel this one is REALLY personnel.

My sister in-law is a MP in the New South Wales state government. It's amazing how certain things come to light about Christmas time. My sister in-law had two children from a previous marriage. Her first husband died. My brother wanted to adopt the two girls but my sister in-law forbade it. He only asked her AFTER he'd married her. The two girls have always called me Uncle Roy, but it's always been an ongoing wound with our side of the family. I'm not their uncle and I'm only an uncle to the youngest one as she is my brother's daughter. The eldest girl now has two kids of her own and wanted them to call me uncle Roy. She was naturally upset when I said NO.

I explained to her that because my brother wasn't allowed to adopted her or her sister that I'm no relation to her or her sister whatsoever.

According to mum my brother had to undergo a series of "tests" before my sister in-law decided to marry him. A "test" to see if he was compatible with HER girls and to make sure he wasn't a pedophile. A sex "test" to make sure he was fertile and capable of the physical act. Only recently my sister in-law's mother told one of the girls that she couldn't have a boy living with her as it is immoral. The girl is 25 and the boy was just a house mate helping to pay the rent. She bowed to her grandmothers pressure and told the boy to leave.

I once asked my sister in-law "if I told you I was gay what would you do". The answer came straight back "that's simple I'd never let my daughters anywhere near you ever again".

When my sister in-law was pregnant with my niece at another babies christening my mum remarked how my sister in-law soon be a new mother again. Back came the answer " yes, well at least I know I can't trust him". I'm surprised she didn't have an abortion.

I would say that if the kids just started calling you uncle, well then you're an uncle. But to tell them to isn't the same thing. I would just leave it up to the kids. Unless, it really goes against your view of things.

My father's mother died when he was an infant. His dad later remarried. My dad and his brother both loved the second wife as their own mother.

I have a gay uncle. His life long partner is also my uncle. Always has been, always will be. The best part of having a gay uncle is you get two uncles and my uncles gave me a Union pacific passenger set as a kid. in fact, the train gifts just kept coming. All of my old lima and Jouef trains came from the uncles.

My sister in-law insisted at the time that the two girls from her first marriage called me uncle Roy. I said no but it made no difference. The eldest girl now has kids of her own and she started asking them to call me uncle Roy. She didn't like it when I said no, and asked why?. I said I didn't want the lie perpetuated for a second generation.

I know mum and dad were very upset that my sister in-law refused to allow my brother to adopt her two girls and in fact dad's reply to my brother was " oh I guess we're not good enough then". The eldest girl started to write our family surname on her school book covers and her mother ripped the covers off in a rage and made her write her first husbands surname. Mum and dad wanted the two girls to have six grandparents. Although in reality they rarely ever saw or see the first dad's parents who live in Queensland which is where my sister in-laws parents also live and quite nearby.

When the bill for dad's plaque came in my brother was unable to put any money up for it as he hasn't worked since the day he got married and is only given money like an allowance by his wife. I suppose that's one reason he's not allowed to have a model railway of any sort as he would be spending HER money and not his and she doesn't like model railways of any sort. They don't interest HER and so they are barred from HER house including paintings and any discussion on the subject of trains whatsoever.

You may have realised that my sister in-law is a controlling B*TCH.

Roy.