Sun or shadow ?

patlecq

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Interesting prototype. I suppose when you aren't running your trains you can always say there is a workers strike in effect. :P he he he

I had electrofrogs on my N scale layout. I had to isolate sections around the switches to keep from having electrical shorts. (Side note: considering it's 3 degrees outside, I could use some electrical shorts, under shorts that is, right now to keep me warm.)

Before doing anything you will have to test the switches to see how the power is routed and then leave gaps between rails. I don't think i would cut anything on the switch itself. After that you'll need to solder power leads onto the switches.

I'm not sure why they made electrofrogs as I think they are a pain to use.

Hi Traingeek,

I bought Peco Electrofrog becauseI I wanted to have the best rail current continuity. Now I regret this choice because it's a little bit complicated to wire. If I would have the choice again, I would go for Peco Code 100 Insulfrog.

Today, the weather was fine, a little bit cold but dry and sunny. So I worked outdoor to install properly the ballast layer and the track.

pat9.jpg

pat10.jpg

But late in the afternoon, came the first raining snow.

pat11.jpg

Hi Mick,

Sunny day today, so I took several pictures of belgian GM/EMD locomotives from my collection.

5217 (Roco) Locomotive modified in the eighties and then fitted with new cabs fixed on silent blocks.

uoOPV.jpg

DpLVI.jpgDpLVI.jpg

5319 (Märklin) Last locomotive which ran with its original cabs and original livery almost up to the year 2000 (as well as loco 5404 which has been preserved by SNCB).

ys49s.jpg

xr5pk.jpgxr5pk.jpg

I think that there is a bit too much worry over electrical contact at times. In N scale i used Atlas code 55. It has live frogs, the middle welded crossing rails, that need to be wired for polarity with a switch. I left mine with no power and had no problems. Unless you are running a loco with only one truck providing electrical pickup, it really isn't problem even in N scale. I suspect your locos have all wheel pickup.

Nice loco picks BTW. i like those beasts.

bn93i.jpg

Are you going to raise the level of this spur as in the prototype?

Hi Traingeekboy,

If possible, I would like to provide the layout with spurs, tunnel, buildings, signals and so on ...

But after so many years of frustrations with my indoor layout, now I want to make this garden railway as simple as possible to allow me to enjoy running (long) trains as soon as possible. If I'm happy with the results of this first stage then I will certainly think about improving the layout decoration.

Hi Everybody,

Since yesterday I work on the points and doubleslips wiring. I don't go as fast as I thought I would do it. I have some problems with the alignment of the motors and the adjustment of the microswitches. I expect to finish this job by end of this week.

Picture of locomotive 5320 (Märklin). Same original livery as 5319 but with a third headlamp (from a scrapped steam loc) to be allowed to run in Germany and in the Netherlands.

vyhcv.jpg

Ieipe.jpg

Picture of locomotive 5315 (Roco). 1970's livery.

FNGWX.jpg

clNjH.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Patrick, I just realised my previous post never appeared. One of the drawbacks when using a mobile phone to browse the site! I know very little about the European railway scene but the locos you have featured on here look great. I find the UK scene pretty bland these days with not much variety in motive power.I crave for the late 80s! How representative of the current day are the locos you have shown?

Hi Andy,

Unfortunately, amost all old diesel types are not anymore used by Belgian Railways. Nevertheless, very few of them are still used by Belgian Railways track works and sub-contractor companies.

If not today but very very soon, there will be only very few different types of locomotives, EMU and DMU running in Belgium.

This situation will be quiet different compared to the whole fleet made of so many types of locomotives with their own style and colourful liveries which used to run in the eighties.

But this is the price to pay (as they say) to keep the belgian railways still alive !

As soon as the weather will be sunny and dry again, I will post more pictures of SNCB Diesel locomotives.

It's the same all over I think. Here in the USA the best color schemes for diesels were in the 70-80's period. It was right before everything got bought by the last four big companies: CSX; Norfolk and Southern; Union Pacific; and Burlington Northern Santa Fe. For american diesels I favor what I call the disco era. :D