Bachmann 32-678DS Class 45 With Sound

mick

Bachmann 32-678DS

Class 45 Diesel, D55 'ROYAL SIGNALS'

BR Green with Sound

loco2.jpg

This is the first class 45 locomotive I have ever owned and I have no experience of working on them from my Railway days. In fact rarely did I ever come across one as a railway employee so I'm not in a position to be able to judge the sound quality of this recent Bachmann offering. What I can say is that, very much like the Bachmann class 47 sound to my ears, it does get a bit overbearing and recurring after a short time. I know that 4mm scale sound has its limitations but I will have to compare other manufacturers sound projects with this one before passing final judgement.

Operationally, like all other recent Bachmann diesel locomotives, running performance is as good as you can expect with the loco going from a slow crawl to a realistic top speed. I'm pleased that manufacturers now gear their loco's so that they do perform at more realistic speeds as there is nothing worse than seeing a model loco darting round a layout hauling rolling stock at a pace that would cover 100 metres quicker that Jamaica's Usain Bolt. I haven't compared the model to prototype photographs so I'm not about to judge its accuracy but from how I can recall them, this certainly looks like a 'Peak' to me even though I never saw them in green.

Class 44/5/6 aren't really in my sphere of interest but I wanted at least a single example and I'm glad I took the plunge but I may just have to get hold of a better sound recording - one that doesn't make me want to press F1 again after just a couple of circuits!

Finally, I might be in the minority in this one judging by some other comments I have seen but I really do like the new Bachmann style packaging. Much better and far easier than before and you can remove a model without damaging the box at all.

• 11 months later...

HamptonFieldRailway said:

Mick

Any chance you could post a bit of video footage of this loco so we can hear its sound?

Sure. It's hardly music to the ears at high speed but I'll get it on track and on film during the next available running session.

• 4 months later...

HamptonFieldRailway said:

Mick

Any chance you could post a bit of video footage of this loco so we can hear its sound?

Apologies for the delay but here's a few clips of 'Royal Signals' in action today.

• 2 months later...

cleanerg6e said:

I've had my class 45 reblown by Howes and it's a totally different loco to what it was Mick. It's also cheap to get it done.

Roy.

Just something I've never got round to doing (one of many things.... :oops: ) but it's one that I really do need to get sorted because I don't like the factory fitted sound at all. It's a shame but this is one loco that rarely makes it out of the box - it drives me nuts listening to it.

What I like about Howes sounds, at least those that I have heard, is that you can drive them. Open the throttle and you hear the power being applied, close it and the loco appears to coast. I like my loco's with plenty of power on.