Dave's Occasional Drivel

Dave

Inspired by Mick's personal journal, i thought I'd add my own - please feel free to ignore this at will, everyone! :)

Been a hell of a week at work as I've been asked to travel to India for the first two weeks of December, and needless to say I don't have a visa and my jabs are certainly not up to date. Well, at least they weren't. Jabs I had this morning and I've submitted a visa application.

Not really the best time of year to be travelling so far away, but I'm started to get excited about the idea of going. Should be interesting, but I'm going to miss my toys at home!

mick said:

Will you be travelling on them?

Unfortunately not. Apparantly we get assigned a driver for the duration of the visit, so I expect I'll just be doing some touristy stuff over the weekend I'll be there. The rest of the time will be working. I shall need to pick up some elephant-themes trinkets for our mothers for Christmas and some little bits for the kids. But I don't expect to be able to seek out a model rail shop or have time to travel to one of the excellent narrow gauge railways over there.

mick said:

The India trip sounds interesting. I watched the tv programs documenting India's railways and found the whole thing fascinating. Will you be travelling on them?

Traveling ON them IS interesting as in India as you have a choice of riding inside or on the roof. Did you know that only 2% of their railway budget is spent on safety?

The railways in India are the life blood of the nation and an institution.

In the UK I've heard you have two GREAT institutions: Indian curries and cars made in Belgium. hehe.

Roy.

• 2 weeks later...
cleanerg6e said:

Did you know that only 2% of their railway budget is spent on safety?

Well Roy, that only makes me feel fractionally better about a four hour journey on an Indian motorway! At least I won't be driving :)

Anyway, just a quick note to say I'll be offline for a couple of weeks at least and I might not be able to be online again before Christmas. So if I'm not, I'd like to be one of the first to wish you all a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year, and I hope everyone has fun with their model trains, even in the winter months! :D

Dave said:

...I'd like to be one of the first to wish you all a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year...

Thanks for that Dave. You are one of the first - we're already well on the way to filling up the top shelves of the wall unit in the living room with recently received Xmas cards!

Hope the India trip goes well. All the best to you and your family over the festive season and look forward to hearing from you on your return.