Mick's Drivel

mick

That's the problem with google; Google ogles.

I've noticed the ads changing over time. When i first came here all my ads were for Philippine mail order brides, I kid you not, and I only got them on this site. Now they are for other things. Generally, I have no idea how they are hitting me for the ads as it's never something I'm looking for. Must be searching the text for something. Perhaps do it yourself comments like mine get you mail order bride ads. I miss my mail order brides, I thought they were funny; I'd point them out to Sara too. :D

In it's inception the internet was intended as a safe haven for ideas, but now it's this advertising onslaught. Another thing I hate is animated ads, or hitting pages where suddenly something is talking to me.

I guess they know that you are a man in need of a shed.

Yesterday they started erecting my new fencing along the bottom of the garden. It's a job that was to have taken 2 days but one that will tomorrow enter its third. I'm not in a hurry but it would be nice to have the garden fully enclosed once again - feels very open and insecure when there are gaps in the perimeter fence.

Rather jokingly I remarked that since clearing out my cookies the other day I'd begun seeing ads on the forum for mail order brides. Now I notice that I really am getting lots of ads for 'Mature Women in the UK' and 'Chinese girls looking for marriage'. I'm sure Griff is behind all this - must be something he's said.... :lol:

Now that we're getting closer to the big day I'm checking regularly on the price of the shed I've taken a fancy to. I'm sure it will be reduced in price soon after Xmas and I don't want to miss out again. I'll also be keeping a close eye on certain model railway items - there's got to be some give very soon and I'll be ready to pounce as and when.

Taken a look at a few of my favourite websites this evening and surprised to find that hardly any of them have a notice wishing their customers a Happy Christmas. Must admit that it doesn't really feel like Xmas used to feel. In fact it's almost an inconvenience when there are things you want to get done but are unable to due to the extended holiday shutdown.

Anyway, I don't have any drivel to add but didn't want to call it a night without sending everyone on here my best wishes. Hope the red fella brings everything you've hoped for and I look forward to hearing all about it in due course. Wishing you and your families a very Merry Xmas!

Well Mick, when all is said and done, presents opened, food eaten, etc... The best part of it is spending time with family and friends. Hope your holidays are good too.

Once again, thanks for giving all of us guys somewhere to make friends and share our victories with the like minded. I am very thankful for this site, until I found it, I felt like a complete idiot on other sites. I harassed g scalers about their layouts and was ignored because I am doing a tiny scale. I posted pictures on ho scale forums and was ignored because it wasn't exactly realistic modeling. As far as I know we are a unique breed and we finally have a home. Thanks Mick.

traingeekboy said:

...As far as I know we are a unique breed and we finally have a home. Thanks Mick.

Good to have everyone here - wouldn't be the same without any of you! Thanks for keeping me company.

My 'daily drivel's kind of dried up a bit of late. There's not really much going on at the moment that's worth writing about.

I've been to the outpatients today for further eye tests and now have to wait for two weeks to learn the results. I've been told I'm suffering with Glaucoma so the tests have been to determine how much damage, if any, has been caused. Hopefully it's been diagnosed early enough and can be treated to prevent any further deterioration but I have a feeling it's been there for some time and that I should have had it seen to much sooner. Apparently there's little that can be done to repair any damage already caused.

Anyone picked up anything good in the sales? I've been looking around but haven't seen anything that's tempted me to spend. Sadly, the shed I have my eye on (oops.. sorry) hasn't been reduced in price yet even though some other models in the range have been discounted.

I was surprised to find a parcel had arrived for me today containing next years potato seeds! I'd ordered them while we were still living in Selby and had almost forgotten about them. I certainly wasn't expecting them here just yet. Anyway, tomorrow I think I'll set them out for chitting and be ready to plant them in the barrels/bins as soon as the weather looks favourable. Seems a long time since we were harvesting new potatoes!

my father is dealing with glaucoma. i think he will need eye surgery for it. it seems like there are benefits from it, such as no more eye glasses after the surgery.

Yes I have ben seeking new deals. I have a small stash of cash for one more little treat. I have been keeping tabs on a book about british railways signaling. I may just get a book instead of a train thing.

I actually forgot to harvest my potatoes. :oops: i suppose they are safe under the ground, may do it in the next few days. :mrgreen:

It's good to welcome in the New Year so that things can start getting back to normal. We have work starting on the house this week so it's going to be a very busy (and messy) time.

I've managed to get my potato seeds out 'chitting' on a windowsill. With 3 windows down for replacement shortly and work being done in another room there wasn't many windowsills left to choose from. They'll be okay where they are for a few weeks and then I'll be looking at getting some of them planted up in tubs. With any luck we should be enjoying new potatoes much earlier this year.

Apart from model railways I've had an interest in fishkeeping since I was very young and during the late 1980s I managed to build a small pond in my back garden in which I kept a few goldfish and small Koi carp. It lasted a couple of years until my kids started toddling around and it was felt safer to fill it in. Much like the model railway, I'd always held out hope of one day constructing a pond again. I'm thinking that now is perhaps the right time to do so seeing as I'll be changing some of the garden anyway.

In my early to mid teens I used to help out working in a Tropical Fish store that was owned and run by my best mates father. It was the reason I was able to get my first cold water fish tank which was quickly followed by a Tropical tank. Another tank followed when I got married and then the pond. Then, as with most things, the next moment it was all gone and I really don't remember where it went.

I would like to incorporate some kind of water feature in the garden. At first I was considering adding just a stream where water collects in a reservoir at the lower level and is pumped up to the top level to make its descent. And then I thought about adding a pond so that I could enjoy keeping some fish again. I have a feeling that there may well be the addition of a pond in my plans for the garden.

Oh yes fish are good. I just inherited a 55 gallon tank when my sister moved away. Sara and I are populating it with small fish. It's very soothing. I think a koi pond sounds great, but I also just like the plain ones that we call feeder goldfish over here or comets. Hmmm... Did your pond attract raccoons ever? My father had a small water feature and every morning he'd find all his water plants had gotten tumbled about by raccoons feasting on gold fish.

Being native to North America we don't get many raccoons in UK gardens although I'm sure there'll be a few who have taken freedom over here. Ponds over here usually attract only domestic cats and heron's - both of which can reduce your fish stocks if you aren't careful.

The inherited tank sounds good. At 55 gallons it'll be about 4 feet in length? An ideal size for the home. Is it cold water or heated?

• 3 weeks later...

With the bedroom newly fitted out, tomorrow a start is made on replacing some windows and doors in readiness for work to commence on building the new kitchen. It's all meant I've had very little time for making any further contribution to the forum but I have been trying to keep up to date with all the recent posts.

Already in the middle of January I'm still planning on what to do in the garden and where everything needs to be located. I keep seeing enticing offers for plants but haven't really got anywhere permament to put them just yet. We're looking forward to Spring and onwards and the opportunity to sit outside during the warmer days but have yet to decide on what to do with the patio and haven't even got a table and chairs for outdoor use.

The range of advertisements at the top of the forum remind me of the products I have been looking at online recently - all of which would be suitable viewing in a family environment I would like to add. These range from wooden decking products and other garden structures, products to achieve crystal clear water, flower and vegetable products, right up to a CD ripper capable of storing my entire CD collection. I've got a lot of interests!

Does anyone own a CD ripper similar to a http://www.brennan.co.uk/' rel="external nofollow">Brennan JB7? Just wondered what anyone thought of them or if there are any better alternatives. I have a very large Classical music collection in particular but find it tedious rummaging through all the CDs looking for something to play. Having them all together on one hard drive would seem an ideal solution.

mick said:

Being native to North America we don't get many raccoons in UK gardens although I'm sure there'll be a few who have taken freedom over here. Ponds over here usually attract only domestic cats and heron's - both of which can reduce your fish stocks if you aren't careful.

The inherited tank sounds good. At 55 gallons it'll be about 4 feet in length? An ideal size for the home. Is it cold water or heated?

Well there must be a local critter that is partial to fish. Something that fits into the eco niche our raccoons fit into. Cats here aren't so good at fishing.

The tank is heated. i have small non-aggressive tropicals. in the past I always got bigger fish and lost out on the effect of a school of tiny fish. My oscars and other cichlids would've eaten em.

Right now we have 2 plecostamus, a green corydoras, 11 blood fin tetras, 4 black skirt tetras, a pair of dwarf gourami. 3 guppies. At least as of this morning...

Currently having issues with disease. In all my time doing fish I've never had such a huge disaster. It's only ick, but they are dying like flies even with treatments and water changes and raising the temperature of the tank. :(

Oh hey! Today my ad was a this one: http://www.rapidotrains.com/upc_ho.html I'm kind of angry about it, I want my mail order brides and hot singles back! lol

• 3 weeks later...

Just letting everyone know that I'm still around. As mentioned earlier, we're in the middle of some house renovations and have just finished having the solid fuel boiler changed over to gas. Not a very enjoyable experience at all, especially as we appear to have chosen the coldest weekend of the winter to be without heating for a couple of days :oops: Anyway it's all been completed this afternoon and we're now sweltering!

Tomorrow is a free day before Thursday sees the start of demolishing 2 interior walls in readiness for the installation of a new kitchen. Roll on the end of February!

Oh.., one last thing. Our new 'combi' boiler has meant that my lovely attic is now completely dry and devoid of any water tanks! What a space!!!

Railway modelling seems like a very distant memory to me right now but home improvements are moving forward quicker than I had anticipated which should give me the possibility of starting work outdoors by the time the worst of the winter has passed. If you're interested in seeing just what we are having to contend with at the moment then here's a pic looking towards the living room from what will soon be our new kitchen...

IMG_5968.jpg

The ceiling records where the walls have been removed from between the old kitchen and the rear bedroom, and where the rear bedroom (now the new kitchen) has been opened up into the living area.

Actually it's not quite as bad as that photo makes it appear. That particular photo was taken 2 days ago and since then we have had a new stud wall erected and today we had the plasterer's in to make good the work. The following photo shows how it all looks this evening:

IMG_5987.jpg

We've been told to expect completion of the kitchen by the end of next week which will be a relief as we're currently preparing food in one room, have the sink in another, and don't currently have any kind of cooker installed.