Mick's Drivel

mick

It's been a rather unproductive last few days - not because I haven't wanted to do anything but mainly because the weather hasn't been very favourable for working outdoors. When it did stay dry it was so dull and miserable as to be utterly depressing. Aside from the railway layout my main focus of attention is the new pond filter and creating a walkway between the garden and patio. The final connections for the filter will be made today and it should them be in full operation, which will be peace of mind knowing the water quality should be improving throughout the coming year. In front of the pond I've laid some paving stones so I can now get to see them without carrying dirt back over the patio. Not quite finished yet - there are more paving stones to lay.

• 1 year later...

While there's been little progress to report on any of my layout construction threads it seems more appropriate to add an update into my Personal Journal.

I've made a start boarding out my attic. It's a decent space but access is awkward due to the modern style roof trusses. I've replaced the original small access hatch with a larger purpose made hatch and wooden ladder so I no longer have to get out the aluminium step ladder in order to get up into the attic. I don't intend doing much more than making a safe area to walk on and store things but there is the possibility of a decent sized layout between the trusses. Running between the truss framework isn't ideal but I've seen several layouts built that way which use the space very effectively and equally successfully. Another reason for boarding the attic is so that I have somewhere to store the indoor layouts I have been working on but which up to now are little more than bare boards.

Strangely, whilst it might at first appear that I've made little progress anywhere, when I stop and think of all the things I've managed to do over the past few weeks then I must admit to feeling somewhat chuffed with myself for getting so many tasks out of the way. The trouble is I seem to be trying to do several things at once and not making a great deal of progress with any one of them. I find that once I get started (the sunny days) I never know when to stop but there are days (the wet & miserable ones) when I just can't seem to get started at all. Here's hoping for a bit more sunshine!

I sense my advancing years are catching up with me. I've really struggled getting the latest batch of loft boards up into the attic but I'm not one to give up too easily. I thought it would be quicker and easier to get boards 8ft by 2ft for the remaining half of the attic rather than the smaller ones I've used for the first half and whilst they certainly are quicker to install they do take some additional effort to get them up there and into final position. I've managed to complete about 80% of the total floor area and I must admit that it already looks a more hospitable place. It's also much safer being able to walk around rather than treading carefully across the ceiling joists. I've been lucky in the fact that I only needed to make one removable section in order to access a light fitting below (in case that's ever necessary) - all the remaining light fittings are located around the extreme edges of the boarded area or beyond.

I've mentioned the possibility of a layout running between the roof trusses and it's something I am seriously considering as being the only way I will ever be able to make use of the majority of stock I have collected. I'm thinking along the lines of something based around the 1990-2000 period and a location around the Yorkshire coalfields as I have a couple hundred or more coal wagons from that era. I've got an idea of the sort of thing I would like if I can fit it into the space available, which amounts to approx 30 feet by 10 feet. However, the main priority at the moment is to get the floor boarded and then see about reducing the amount of dust up there - perhaps by boarding out some of the side walls too. At least I've got something to do when the weather outside isn't so good.

I've seen quite a few loft layouts online. It seems like you have so many beams all over the place. Ours are less cluttered. But what I do see is sort of amazing in how ingenious model railroaders can be when they need a place to run. Do you have any before pics to look at? I will be curious to see all of this evolve.

traingeekboy said:

....It seems like you have so many beams all over the place.....

Too right Griff! This is what I have to contend with....

1b0fd3911820487c14d6bb394024fb4e.jpg

The only obstruction along the way is the outlet from the gas boiler so I've got a more or less clear central section that's 10 feet at it's widest point and 30 feet in total length. Plenty of room for storage along the sides. The central trusses are a pain but I'm not about to fork what would undoubtedly be several thousand pounds (even dollars!) for a bit of storage space - even with the opportunity to have a more open aspect for a layout.

If a layout ever comes to fruition then, in my opinion, the best position for the track to give me maximum space, would be to run through the trusses as seen in the following photo. I've seen several examples of layouts built like that.

7fa7286b0336f8d534a2d15a12909522.jpg

Still plenty of work to do before there's any further thoughts regarding railways up there.

Mick,

I saw the very same thing on Battle Star Galactica. Do you think they did trains too? :D

resurrection-ship.png

Looking at what you've got to work with, I'd say going through the trusses seems like the best option. Maybe hang a vertical scenic barrier and paint it before doing anything else as well.

The one thing about how your attics are set up is that you come into the train room through the middle so no duck unders to deal with for an continuous run.

Oh, and remember those ads we had all over the place? I don;t see ads anymore... I got this free download it's awesome. https://adblockplus.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

• 7 months later...

Very little happening on the outdoor layout at the moment and with the weather as it is it may be next year before there's any further progress there. In the meantime I've been going through a 'get fitter' routine. Since I stopped working, stopped smoking, and started to relax, I've found it extremely easy to add on a few surplus pounds - or should that read 'stones'.

When I was in my teens and through into my twenties and thirties I was always very slim and underweight. I used to go out of my way to eat things that would hopefully bulk me up a bit but nothing ever worked - not even those powdered 'weight-on' products that I used to mix with 2 pints of full cream milk each day.

Sadly I don't have the same problem these days but the added weight settles around my middle rather than spreading itself evenly across my body. So after getting to the point where I started to notice myself slowing down and getting breathless whenever I attempted to do anything resembling physical activity I decided it was time to do something about it. I started on a program of 'steps'.

According to the app on my phone there were days when I did less than 1000 steps per day. Too much watching sport on tv and sitting back after mealtime. The sport has now gone and instead there's a regular daily routine of eating better, eating less, and doing a lot more activity. I've increased my daily 'steps' by going out walking and doing regular sessions on an indoor exercise machine.

According to my phone 'app' I'm still in the 'obese' category which is frightening when I hadn't even realised I was overweight, but I do actually feel a lot better than I did a few weeks ago when I was beginning to think there may be something more to it than simply being out of breath.

Last weekend I walked 14 miles (33,000 steps!). I hadn't intended going that far but after the first 7 I tried to call home for a lift but couldn't get through (no mobile signal she said :roll: ) so I ended up having to walk back too :D I can laugh about it now but walking back across fields in the bloody dark isn't something I would recommend when you only have the 'torch' on your mobile phone to point the way. I'll get my own back on her one day!

• 1 month later...

Well my 'get fitter' resolution is having some results and I've actually managed to shed 12 pounds since 19th October which I'm really pleased with. I've got into a routine of exercising morning and night, eating smaller portions at mealtime and trying to cut out mid-meal snacks although I do still allow myself some occasional treats such as choccie biscuits! I've found that the exercises are becoming easier to complete. When I first started I was doing a daily half-mile routine, sometimes in 2 or 3 segments :oops: but now I'm up to 5 miles per day over the two sessions. I've also saved a fortune by getting rid of Sky Sports and Sky Movies and on top of that I feel much better.

Oi that not fair,

How can you lose weight over the Christmas period? I've had to attend 5 formal meals since the beginning of October plus our own Christmas and new year, and in 17 days time I've got to get kilted up for Burns night, yet another big meal.

it's just not fair!!! :evil:

Luckily my six monthly medical was just before the first one, but that only leaves 2 months to at least get down to what I was before the next one, Oh and there will be two more formal dinners in March..

Rather than clogging up my Worsley Dale thread with a lot of rambling, and seeing as there's still no layout progress to report, I'll add my thoughts here instead.

Whilst it's true that I've not progressed as I had hoped with the outdoor layout I have continued to do what I seemingly do best - and that's add to my stock collection. There's been a number of loco's added recently, hardly any of which I have so far been able to properly test.

I've begun reading up on LNER/BR(E) passenger train formations, the Gresley A4 loco's, and Pullman coaches including the all steel 'K' type recently introduced by Hornby. How I wish that one of the major manufacturer's, preferably Hornby, would decide to produce OO gauge LNER coaches for the Silver Jubilee and Coronation trains. How can they release so many versions of the A4 loco's and yet overlook these magnificent coaches? I know there are the brass Golden Age Models versions available if you can find them, (in fact there's a rake of Silver Jubilee coaches on eBay right now but I don't have £2,450 spare in order to get them) but we really do need a more affordable option.

Full of enthusiasm and keen to do something, I went up into the attic yesterday to survey the space. I'm certain that I could fit a layout in-between the trusses in order to run the majority of my stock and with a length of approx 30 by approx 12 feet wide it would be of a decent size. I'll be honest, it wasn't all that comfortable, in fact it was rather cool up there, but I've yet to add any form of insulation or means of heating. If I'm ever going to see my rakes of MGRs, HTAs and so on running again then I'm going to have to do something about it.

It was only the other day that I remembered I had purchased a Heljan turntable some time ago and that needs a home too. I do hope that my current level of enthusiasm lasts long enough to be able to at least make a start on something and preferably get it to a level where there can be some kind of possible operation. I'm beginning to feel ashamed at my lack of progress but I know that many modellers go through the same scenario at some time or other - in fact I've lost count of the number of layout threads I've visited online where the modeller has abandoned everything in despair in order to start over again - and in some cases on more than one occasion. It's good to know I'm not entirely alone.

Keeping momentum on a model railway is hard work Mick. I am in a sort of hibernation on all fronts with model trains as well.

I tend to migrate between several hobbies and just do what feels right to me at any given time and eventually the railway begins to draw my attention again.

You seem to post about other interests the past year, so I doubt we can expect too much time before you make a big push on the railway.

:)

At the moment I'm just raring to go Griff - it feels like it's all something completely new. The trouble is, it's so bloody cold and damp both up in the attic and out in the garden. There's no chance of doing anything just yet. Hope I can keep it going for a few weeks more and then make some headway.

• 1 month later...

It must be 5 weeks since you visited Ian and I still haven't finished decorating the hall!!

The good news is that I'm almost there now and a few more days should see everything finished and back together. Unfortunately it would seem my rate of progress when it comes to decorating is on a par with the rate of progress on my outdoor layout. I'm just painfully slow with most things. Having said that, removing a load of old artex from the walls and ceiling isn't something I would advise when you're armed with nothing other than an old chisel, a paper scraper and a water spray bottle. There are modern alternatives I am assured, I just didn't take advantage of them.

Needless to say I've done nothing other than decorating for the past few weeks but I've been so looking forward to making progress on the outdoor layout. These nice crisp sunny days just get you in the mood and when you see other forum members getting things done then it's an added incentive. Other added incentives are a number of new products I've acquired recently and which I have yet to photograph, test, or even take out of the box. Some of these will make an appearance on Worsley Dale at some point but I still have desires for an indoor set up, or even two, once I have some time to myself. I feel guilty even thinking about a model railway whilst there's still decorating to finish off but I'm sure I'll be in the good books once it's all out of the way.

Now I have a new radiator to fit and some old flooring to replace and there's still a couple of doors to varnish. After that I'll be right back with you.

• 2 weeks later...

Today I finally got round to doing something I've been meaning to do for a long time. I sorted out all my factory fitted Loksound v3.5 decoders and removed the soundchips from those I felt needed re-blowing. Digital sound has moved on over the last few years and my earlier ones are now lagging behind. If I don't get them reblown now I fear there may come a time when no-one caters for the older chips anymore and I don't want to have to replace them all from scratch with the later v4.0 chips or something else.

It was clear that most of those I took apart today hadn't seen the light of day since the Selby Garden Railway - there was one that even had the remains of a spider on the bufferbeam! I had forgotten just how dirty they get running outdoors and I can't believe I put some of them away in that condition. Mind you, the move from Selby to here hadn't been planned so perhaps I was just in the middle of something and it all got overlooked.

I quite enjoyed looking at loco's I had almost forgotten about. There are some that I had considered selling but once you see them you feel sure they still have a part to play. So I now have 2 x class 24s, 1 x class 25, 2 x class 20s, 2 x class 37s, 1 x class 31 & 1 x class 45 ready for posting and I'm looking forward to them getting a new lease of life.

I still have a few more v3.5 chips but I want to have another listen to those before making any decisions.

I was supposed to be giving the bathroom a coat of paint today but there's been some Electricity Board work going on down the road where they are digging up a neighbours garden and they called today to inform us that the power would be going off for 2-3 hours. I didn't fancy painting without some form of lighting and so decided to leave it and see to the soundchips instead. Looks like I'll be painting tomorrow.

OK Mick you've made me incredibly jealous!! :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen: Makes my collection of a Mallard, Flying Scotsman, King George V, 1 class 23, 1 class 37, inter city 125 and 225 look boring!!! :oops::oops: I seem to have loads of carriages and wagons tho!! Time for some new choo choos for me I think!! :lol::lol: I did treat myself at the weekend tho to a new non train related toy which I am collecting tomorrow afternoon :D:D:D Something I have wanted for a long long time! All will be revealed tomorrow when i take some piccies. Regards. Mark

There's a lot to be said for having a small but focused collection. If you look at many of the best layouts you'll find they don't have a large number of loco's but they do make the best use of them. I'm a collector, always have been no matter what the topic. I'm just the same with model railways but the loco's, coaches & wagons I have I really don't make use of at this moment in time. They're just wasted right now. I'd much rather have a really good layout with far fewer items of stock. And I don't have a class 23 or a 225 so you're ahead of me with those!

Well my sound chips for re-blowing are on their way by Special Delivery so hopefully sometime next week I'll be receiving them back. Not sure how long the whole process takes but it'll be great to have them back and see if it's been worth the trouble and money. I've also discovered another two that I'd previously overlooked so I'm getting another small batch ready for next time.

It's been raining non-stop today - a far cry from yesterday's weather where thoughts of an outdoor layout were at the forefront of my mind. If you remember back to the end of last summer I made a start on the elevated boards which join up to the larger viaduct - well I'd painted them with bitumen over a coat of creosote and believe it or not they still haven't dried! Looks like they'll be getting a covering of roofing felt and fastened into place as they are.

I'm going to have to make a move once I've finished my cuppa. I keep putting off the bathroom painting but I know it needs to be done before I dare open another loco box.