THLR and Asquith Falls Railways

tgfoy

Bit late I know, but at last I am back online proper. For the last couple of weeks I have been using a reserve computer whilst my own had a mother board transplant. Glad to be back.

Not much progress has been made on the railways since before christmas due to the weather and the garden being underwater since, it's still very water logged (problem with a heavy clay soil that lies lower than the surroundings by a couple of inches). However the weather did give the opportunity for some picturesque shots of the line.

DSCF3114.JPG

2010_0109Image0031.JPG

2010_0109Image0040.JPG

2010_0109Image0026.JPG.aa282e8ae64a23ec19b6e892e44dc09a.JPG

2010_0109Image0031.JPG.7b06cac687b7ca04bb9cc83e364a80a7.JPG

2010_0109Image0040.JPG.2ddd0c8b8e7411bd54fe879b0610dd1f.JPG

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good to see you back online Tom and I'm pleased to learn that you've got the computer sorted. We've all become so dependant on the keyboards that it's difficult to know what to do when they become ill!

I would imagine that the majority of people who see images such as the ones you posted of your garden railway during wintertime could be forgiven for thinking that outdoor running comes to a complete halt just before Christmas, not resuming until the last of the chocolate eggs have been devoured a few months later. However, if I had managed to keep my line together and not removed sections for maintenance I could possibly have been running trains for much of the winter other than the days where the ground was covered in heavy snow or the track itself with a thick layer of ice. Once I have the shed in operation I fully expect to be able to keep a limited number of trains running throughout most of the year. As you mentioned, the underfoot conditions are as much a restriction as anything else so it's important that a suitable route for access to the tracks is available in order that you don't end up with it all caked to the bottom of your shoes.

Mick

• 2 months later...

Although as Mick say's if the weather is good over winter there is no reason not to run all year round the THLR and Asquith Falls Lines have been in Hibernation since the thaw due to water logging in the garden. However all of that has changed and we have had our first running session of 2010. This was a limited one as if we have a long break from running I always make the first session a bit of a test the line affair and log and rectify any faults that have developed. Sure enough some track pins have been replaced as well as some track conectors. Sadly the points that control access to one of the yards seem to have failed electrically so I will lift them and try to fix them or if necessary replace them if I can't. That being said The session was a success over all with what started as light engine movements ending with a rake of coaches being added. A few friends were round so I took the chance to video some of the running (the joy's of having a decent digital camera with a video function on it), as Mick knows the results are now edited into a 3 minute show now up on my website should anyone wish to see it, you would be most welcome.

Happy running everyone.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Many thanks Traingeekboy. Sadly due to ill health not much has happened on the line this year, a couple of opperating sessions were managed for visitors, but took a lot out of me sadly. That said I am recovering now and have managed to get maintaenance for the winter done so hopefully next year will be busy running most weekends once it isn't quite so tiring physically. I also hope that I shall be able to catch up with things on the forum and be a bit more active in the comming months, I have missed it all. Hope Mick and everyone is ok.

• 2 weeks later...

Good to hear from you again Tom and sorry to learn of your health issues. I hope that all goes well over the coming months and that you can get back to enjoying your railway early next year. Let us know how everything goes and keep us updated on progress with the layout.