Civil Engineering Works Delayed by Wildlife

Dubmatix

Hi all

I'm new to the forum but not new to the idea of putting some OO outside, though this forum spurred me on to actually setting up a test track outside. I had some treated CLS left over (3x2.4m lengths) so thought this ould be ideal for a bit of messing around. Yesterday i went to investigate a pile of leaves in the border to clear it for the new permanent (temporary) way...you may well have guessed by now, this time of year, random pile of leaves...yes there's a hedgehog in there all curled up for the winter. I was pretty surprised by the site of his spikes but i covered him back up and will operate a shorter route until the spring, maybe he'll move on though i have noticed a big dorp in the number of slugs and snails so he is mos welcome! :D. Just thought i'd mention another hazard that can affect outdoor running!

Hi Traingeekboy Yeah, i don't mind him being there at all in fact i want to keep an eye on him...i hope i didn't disturb his hibernation. My wife's from Canada and whilst at the inlaws a couple of years ago, a racoon had got through a damaged garage door and was hiding up in the garage loft. He hissed a fair bit and was very defensive but we got him out in the end. Thanks again for the welcome, i enjoy your organic build ethos, use what you can find! I am thinking of just having a single track line that is sorta freight, preserved line with passenger diversions....(anything i fancy basically!).

This CLS (it's a planed 3x2 with rounded corners...used for building frames or whatever) is ideal for temporary set ups....standing on a few pieces of squarish stone sitting on the soil keeping the water from soaking up from the soil. I quite fancy experimenting with a small channel in the soil and a mortar dry mix bed with the track tamped gently in...someone on here has done it somewhere.

John

After building my layout I realized that not only can I collect enough materials to build a layout, but I actually learned some more things about building and had loads of fun doing it. Right now the plans are for a half submerged pit green house, so my new collection is bricks and stones found in gutters or next to the trash. I bet you can find most of your materials for such a small tester layout.

You might add an extra layer of leaves on the little guy to make his den really warm.

Next year you'll have to provide pictures of him.