Danes Wood, a 00 railway in the garden.

fungus

No sooner do I think I've finally decided on how I'll construct my new layout than I see something that makes me think again. I'd just about settled on a plywood base raised just a few inches above the ground but now I'm wanting to incorporate an embankment effect similar to yours. The fact that my garden slopes towards the bottom end means I'll have plenty of opportunity for varying levels.

Creating realistic scale vegetation outdoors capable of withstanding the weather isn't going to be easy. The Kirkfield and Warmthorpe Railway uses pan scourers to good effect for bushes. Being a mainly mortar embankment would it be possible for it to weather naturally and acquire a mossy type 'growth'? I think I recall reading somewhere that painting milk onto mortar/concrete hastens the growth of moss but I could be totally mistaken. A mossy growth would look natural and within scale appearance but might take some time to nurture.

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sounds like a good idea MIck; I'll get the yoghurt out too! Another technique might be to find the type of moss you want elsewhere, and bring back some samples of it to use as a "starter".

One word of warning on low embankments: if you have any bare earth near them, you'll be surprised how high it spatters when it rains hard.

Perhaps it was yoghurt that I'd read about, but I'm sure milk would work similarly. I'd sort of planned using the technique on my proposed concrete viaduct back in Selby but of course that never came to fruition, It'll be really interesting to see what kind of 'cultures' you can attract onto your embankments and it's going to look absolutely natural. If you go ahead with it would you keep a photographic record of the process and progress?

I've given the same word of caution regarding the proximity of bare soil to the layout in one of my earlier posts after experiencing the results of a heavy downpour myself. It's worth highlighting again so that others can take note.

• 2 months later...

The long-awaited snow arrived last night, and at first light the track-clearing gang was at work preparing their train. The clearance started well, but by the time they reached Quarry Bank, the snow was getting wet and heavy, and the 10' drifts were more than they could manage with the available equipment. The attempt was therefore abandoned until conditions improved.

120205-2001.JPG

120205-2004_Snow-clearing.JPG

• 1 month later...

I think it's safe to say the winter's over now, and today Danes Wood got its first proper run of the season. A steam-hauled excursion was due to pass on the real railway at the end of the garden, and a few interested neighbours were invited round for tea, cakes, and viewing of the train. What could I do but get the garden railway running too?

A full report, with pictures, can be found at http://fungusmodels.blogspot.com/2012/03/steam-in-garden.html

fungus said:

I think it's safe to say the winter's over now....

I'm not so sure it ever really got going this year but let's hope you're right - I'm beginning to get used to all this. Good to see your railway back up and running.

• 2 weeks later...

Very entertaining! Watching the approach to the tunnel I was sitting there urging the loco forward "go on son, through the tunnel, go on..." and then 'WALLOP!' I was sitting there waiting for retrieval. Shows the necessary requirement for access to all areas of the track - especially those within tunnel areas.

Enjoyed the run across the viaduct - a very nice view that one. Also, it looks like you've got plenty of space for expansion of the line.... :?:

Learning from experience, here are a few more movie sequences. Make sure you have the sound on.

provides two driver's eye runs , and two freight train sequences with added sound effects.

provides two passenger train sequences with added sound effects.

Very nice action once again although I've not yet enjoyed them with the sound effects - will have to have another look on the laptop later. I really do like the curved viaduct and it's on a nice gentle curve which adds to the effect. Plywood construction did you say? How's it fared through the winter?

Mick - The weatherproofing of the viaduct is not yet complete, so it usually resides under cover when not in use. The intention is that it will eventually remain outside. The design is modelled on Midford viaduct, south of Bath and now a cycle track, but with the station and track-doubling at the opposite end relative to the curve to fit in with the topology of our garden.

• 3 weeks later...

Just been browsing through...

The perils on the railways!

Had to laugh when I saw "Mac the Cat" photos. I bet a few of us have these creatures.

This link is on Youtube of my pesky monster "Fat Cat". Enter stage right...Nimble feet or what?