Danes Wood, a 00 railway in the garden.

fungus

Here are a few pictures of the railway and the garden around it.

The lowest point of the current line is at the foot of the pond, beside the bean wigwam. Here, a train starts the ascent of the 1 in 50 bank, passing the Head Gardener at work behind the wigwam.

120721-2003_Penny-in-beans.JPG

120721-2014_Pond-Seat-Curve.JPG

120721-2016_passing-trains.JPG

120721-2017_beyond-the-tunnel.JPG

120721-2021_along-the-wall.JPG

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's great to see some additional photos of what's fast becoming one of my favourite outdoor garden railways. What I like most about it is that it actually looks like it belongs there, as if a railway has always existed in that place. The track bed looks so natural. No sign of the usual wood and roofing felt. It's becoming a true miniature railway that oozes inspiration.

i have to agree with Mick.

I love this shot. A railway that looks natural, mixed with a shady place that is naturally appealing. Even a non model railroader would be drawn to sit and admire here.

file.php?id=660

Another of my thick yank questions. Would you consider your garden to be very english in style? it really reminds me of Italy.

One of the tasks defined for phase 2 of the Garden railway was to " provide a method for easily loading and unloading trains from the railway. This should allow for trains of up to 12 coaches and two locos, though a train of this length may need to be split."

Some time ago, I purchased some 3/4" L-section aluminium and some 1/2" MDF. From these materials I fashioned two trial cassettes, one about 18" long and the other 4'. The current abrupt "end of the line" was given the necessary facilities to allow this cassette to be used.

The preliminary trial with the short cassette and a lashed-up support showed that alignment with the rails and successful transfer is possible.

120717-1001_End-of-the-Line.JPG

120801-2010.JPG

120801-2002.JPG

120801-2003.JPG

120801-2005.JPG

Great work with the cassette idea. I'm going to have to consider using something similar once I get connected up into the shed and until I can complete the rest of the circuit.

The final shot with the train exiting the cassette and heading onto the curve - simply stunning! What more can I say.

Jaybee said:

... How did you build the viaduct? ....

Plywood sides, deck, and vertical cross-walls. Voids filled with expanding foam, carved and painted for curved surfaces inside arch. Stripwood and plywood buttresses and lintels. Still to do: decoration including brickwork; fencing; proven weatherprooing.

Ian, I'd been assuming your camera was a much larger camcorder affair. That dinky little thing looks ideal for propelling through tunnels. Could you tell us what it is please, and also whether and how you edit the videos. Many thanks.

Andrew - Go to ebay and seach for "HD keyring camera" and you'll find plenty. As Mick says, make sure you get the true HD version. It cost me about £25 delivered. I use Vegas Movie Studio for the editing, but any video editing software enabled for HD should do.

Results from the recent filming session are at

Very nice video. It's good to see a line under construction and then get to take a ride along. It feels like you already know it as you're trundling down the track. Good quality video too. Well done also on the quality of your track laying - it looks very smooth on film.

I reckon I have more outtakes than actual footage from my old Selby layout. It was amazing the number of times I'd forgotten to couple up, place vehicles on track correctly, stop them in time etc..