Mainline Run Survey

traingeekboy

One the great things about running outdoors is the amount of space we get. Even my smallish layout has around a 42 foot mainline run. By some peoples standards that may not be so great, It's not even a scale mile around and American railroads run mile and half long freights, yet it is the largest layout I have ever built.

So post up your mainline run. I'm curious to find out where we stand as an average of all our layouts.

I don't think I measured the length of each circuit again after adding the shed so this is what I recorded on the Selby Garden Railway website at that time: -

In total, when completed it is estimated that a full circuit of the Selby Garden Railway will be approximately 130 feet in length which equates to a scale distance of about 1.87 miles.

It used to take some trains more than 2 minutes to do a full circuit when running at scale speeds. Of course, it's not that long anymore :cry:

Looking forward to hearing from Roy :)

Dave said:

I've not measured it yet, but I think I have about 58'. Definately the baby compared to you guys! :)

Well you have more than me. Last count is 16 pieces of flex so it will be around... doing math in head 16...32... 48... minus around a foot, so 47 feet of glorious outdoor running fun.

• 2 years later...

I've just had to go out and measure up as I hadn't got a clue what length I'm currently at.

I've got 12 feet inside the shed and 58 feet over the viaducts so Worsley Dale stands at 70 feet at the moment. Doesn't sound a lot for the amount of time its taken me.

About 155' round the long route, comprising 75' top loop and 80' bottom loop; equivalent to about two and a quarter miles to scale.

That disregards the bit off the triangle across the front of the sheds, left over from the original express circuit. If I remember right, that was just under 90', about 1.3 miles to scale.

Gee I thought I was building a huge layout, it is nothing compared to everyone else's 54ft long 30 wide, designed on the Tehachapi loop line. in California America, I have a second stage planned will go down the side of the house will make the layout wider. There is a 19ft road rail bridge planned in that section.

My layout is based on single track operation with passing loops, will have three passing loops, if I ever extend the layout could add an extra passing loop and longer single same with the passing loops which is 28ft planned on this layout, nice to win the lotto.