Selby Garden Railway

mick

Yes it is sad to see the old railway go Mick and I know how you feel when taking it down. Been there, done that. With me it was a little different as I was able to use the old boards for garden bed edging and I now have a humongous collection of treated pine screws, around 2,000 of the blighters. But like everyone on this forum I can't wait to see what your plans are for the new one and so glad that you do intend to build another garden railway. I have a name for it, The Doncaster Garden Railway.

Roy.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've lifted the remaining track today, about 25 lengths in all, and it's been placed in a heap along with that lifted previously ready to become Worsley Dale.

I really should have taken some final picures of the SGR but it all looks a very sorry sight now. Perhaps it's best left at that.

The lifted track will need some remedial work to replace/remove some damaged sleepers but the rails are in fine condition and I'm glad I took the time to bring as much as I could with me. It looks very much the part now that the rail sides have weathered naturally.

I guess there's not a lot more to say here but the SGR has given me lots of enjoyment and as it was my very first layout it will be remembered with some fondness. Thanks to the forum, I've got some special memories to look back upon.

• 1 month later...

Blimey Mick this is a shock! At least you have been able to reuse a lot of the track most of mine will have to be scrapped due to being embedded in concrete! A sloping site is easer to work with as you can have one section at ground level and then by the time you get to the storage shed the layout is at a more comfortable height to work on. A couple of years ago I did some odd jobs at a house in Richmond. The garden was raised about 4 feet behind the house and would have been perfect for a garden railway as the indoor section in the garage would have been 4 foot off the floor. My own layout was built on a sloping site but even with the 2 feet drop in level the indoor section was still too close to the ground to work on comfortably. All the best with the new project I look forward to watching it's progress. ;)

• 1 month later...

Oh no. I just spent all of last night and all of this evening reading and watching all of this thread.

When ever you mentioned a need to address the viaduct, I would convince myself you would leave it be. I like the viaduct. I was so engrossed in the postings and then I got to page 38. What a terrible shame. I have loved watching not only the layout grow, but the garden blossom. Some of those later stills are so pretty with the established beds in the background. Well, I feel any garden layout developed on the back of reading this thread will have a part of SGR in it. I have come away from the read enthused and excited more than ever about my own project, all thanks to SGR

Thanks for the incredible share!

Oh no. I just spent all of last night and all of this evening reading and watching all of this thread....What a terrible shame...

I'm so pleased that I chose to record the construction and development of the Selby garden railway. It wasn't around for long but it gave me an enormous amount of pleasure and I too enjoy looking back over its history.

A replacement for the SGR is now behind schedule :oops: I think I was far too optimistic about starting construction of another garden railway amid all our ongoing house renovations but things are progressing very well on that front and so I'm hoping that I won't have to wait much longer!

• 9 months later...

Each circuit of the old SGR was approx 130 feet in length which I worked out to be a scale 1.87 miles, give or take a bit. It would normally take about 2 mins for a train to travel out of the shed and return at a realistic speed. I'm not sure how the new layout will compare in total length - I think I've got around 50 feet or so laid at the moment.