Selby Garden Railway

mick

After several attempts that never got beyond the planning stage I have finally begun construction of an OO gauge Garden Railway. I was initially tempted by an indoor layout but the additional space available outdoors persuaded me to take up the idea. This website has been constructed to compliment the construction of my garden railway, now named the Selby Garden Railway, and so there has been some progress to date to catch up with.

I have an average sized rear garden available to me which extends along one side of my house giving me sufficient space for an outdoor layout with long sweeping curves. The garden has remained untouched except for the regular routine of mowing the poor quality lawn, since I moved here some years ago, and has been completely devoid of plants other than a few specimens in containers and tubs. The construction of a garden railway serves the purpose of providing somewhere to run my collection of railway models and the opportunity to finally get some plants into the garden.

The photograph below shows how I began construction. The lawn initially extended right up to the fence on the left and so I added some concrete foundations and cemented a single breeze block on end to make a border upon which will be fastened a timber decking board for the track to be affixed. There is a 6ft radius curve at the bottom left of the photograph taking the railway onto a viaduct.

IMG_2953.jpg

This next photograph shows how I have extended the viaduct by adding a second section. The first section comprises 11 arches while the second section adds an additional five arches. Connecting the two sections together will be an iron girder bridge.

IMG_2958.jpg

The viaduct is inspired by a photograph of the disused 21 arch viaduct at Conisbrough, near Doncaster, Sth Yorkshire, which has 14 arches, then an iron girder bridge spanning the river Don, and finally an additional 7 arch section. To withstand the rigours of the English weather I have compromised on the design and so my model viaduct is only loosely based on the original inspiration.

Finally, the 2 photographs below show the current state of construction. I am in the process of adding foundations for the viaduct which can then be fixed firmly in place. I have also begun coating the walls of the viaduct with exterior Polyfilla which I hope will offer some protection from the weather, although I do intend to keep the viaduct covered when the railway is not in use.

IMG_2974.jpg

The following photo shows the whole 10ft 6ins of the viaduct. The garden beyond represents about half of the space I have available to me.

IMG_2977.jpg

More updates and photographs soon.

Mick

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Today I have been trying to complete the track base ahead of the viaduct.

The image below show a cross section of the track base. Concrete foundations, breeze block, roofing felt to act as a waterproof membrame between the block and the wooden decking board, pressure treated timber fastened along the length of the decking board for extra strength and then the whole top to be covered by more roofing felt. There will eventually be a selection of plants on both sides of the breeze blocks to help blend the railway into the garden.

IMG_2979.jpg

The next image is a view from the curve looking back in the opposite direction to where the line currently comes to an abrupt halt. I'm looking forward to the time when I can concentrate fully on the planting! You can see here that I have fastened pressure treated battens along the edges of the decking boards which gives some extra width and adds additional strength to the boards. The battens overlap the joins in the decking boards to help keep everything in line.

IMG_2980.jpg

I have also prepared the plywood that will form the trackbase around the curve just before the viaduct. This comprises a double skin of 12mm exterior (WPBP) plywood using various offcuts of exterior plywood for the bottom layer with the two layers glued and screwed together. Again, a layer of roofing felt sits between the blocks and the timber. The photo below shows the curve in course of construction with the timber left oversize for final trimming once everything is in place. Roofing felt will then be fixed on top.

IMG_2983.jpg

I've given myself a deadline of the 4th August to have something running end to end along the border and along the top of the viaduct and if the weather holds fine for long enough then that should be possible. Track is on order (just awaiting delivery from Hattons) and I should be about ready to begin laying when it finally arrives.

The weather forecast predicted a sunny start to the day with possible showers later in the afternoon so I was up nice and early to begin fastening the wooden track bases to the breeze block base. I've used long rawlplus, the ones you hammer in, and at a spacing of 12 inches apart they have made a good job of securing it. I have also begun covering the straight decking boards with roofing felt using a bitumen adhesive (which according to the tin isn't good for the environment). The plywood curve has not yet been trimmed to size as I want to see how the track positions before making the final cuts. Once that is done the curve will also be covered in roofing felt.

I received my track order from Hattons today and so tomorrow, weather permitting, I will test the track layout around the curve and mark it out for final trimming. Once that is done then operationally at least, the end of phase 1 is in sight. There's still a lot to be done to fully complete this first stage but at least it serves as some motivation and it will be good to see something actually moving.

Progress has been almost impossible for the past 2 days due to the weather, a fact which doesn't bode well for the operational aspect once the layout is eventually completed. Heavy rain and showers means the majority of what I have done to date is under wraps and hopefully safe and dry. It's disappointing because I am close to getting this phase of construction completed but without access to the garden there is very little I can do.

At last - a day of decent weather and the chance to make some progress.

What most readers don't see are the many niggling little jobs that require completing before any great advances can be made. Sometimes they can make me feel like I'm getting nowhere but now at last I can sense that the end of phase one is in sight. I have managed to complete a lot of those little jobs today which meant I could then progress with the larger more meaningful ones - the ones that make it look as if you've actually made some headway. Today I was told, "You can tell you've done something today" which gees you up a bit.

IMG_3013.jpg

The photograph above shows much of what I have completed today. Firstly, the whole of the wooden track base has now been covered with roofing felt. This has been fixed down using a cold cure bitumen adhesive coated on to both the wooden base and the rear of the felt and left to go tacky before both faces were brought together and the edges affixed with an endless number of small clout nails. I had to go out and purchase some more! Where the felt has been joined, bitumen has been applied to the join to seal it and also to the outer faces of all the clout nails to help prevent water penetration. I'm not sure if there is anything else I can do to weatherproof the track base so we'll just have to see how it bears up to the elements in due course.

I have also made a start constructing the retaining wall alongside the curved track section. It is my intention to slope the ground up towards the track base to make it appear that the curve is on an embankment. A retaining wall will also be built on the opposite side of the curve and the embankment finally blended in with the viaduct.

IMG_3011.jpg

The above photo is from the opposite angle and shows the full length of the viaduct. Shortly after this photo was taken I managed to complete covering half of the viaduct face with exterior Polyfilla as well as all of the internal pillars before it started drizzling with rain and I had to cover the viaduct up.

IMG_3014.jpg

It won't be long before I can finally begin fixing the track down and get something running end to end at least. This is what it looks like with some track on top!

If the weather stays reasonable I should be able to make further progress over the weekend.

Despite spending the whole afternoon out in the garden there isn't a great deal of progress to report today. Instead of forging ahead with track laying as originally planned I have decided that the viaduct needs to be completed and so this has become a priority. It is by far the most time-consuming part of the project and I sense that once the viaduct is finished progress with the rest of the railway will be much more rapid.

Having seen photographs of a cast concrete viaduct in model form, I made the decision to enhance mine with a few details. You can see how the appearance of the viaduct has changed in the photograph below.

IMG_3021-800.jpg

The face of the viaduct and the pillars have just been sanded after the first application of exterior Polyfilla. Now that the stripwood has been added a second coat of Polyfilla can be applied as smoothly as possible to reduce the need for further sanding. I'm not looking for a perfectly smooth finish. If you are wondering what the long length of stripwood spanning the first 3 arches is for, that's just my way of ensuring that each section is level with the rest. Once the internal strips are in place the front is cut with a fine saw. The smaller section of viaduct has been treated in the same way.

You can also see that since the last photographs I have added a strip of roofing felt along either edge of the curved section of track base. I had originally folded the roofing felt over the edge and trimmed it level with the bottom of the plywood base but as I was watching the rain falling down yesterday it occurred to me that with a bit of a breeze there was the distinct possibility of water running over the edge and being blown beneath the plywood. It should be safe from harm now and the felt will be hidden once some plants are in place.

IMG_3023-800.jpg

IMG_3024-800.jpg

The above photographs are of WD 2-8-0, number 90630, which today became the first locomotive to officially operate on the Selby Garden Railway. She is captured whilst running end to end and with a near empty smoke generator which is why there is barely a whisper of smoke emitting from her chimney. You may have read that 90630 is also fitted with DCC sound and I was very impressed with the sound quality considering it was operating outdoors amid a lot of background noise. The sound was clearly defined and audible whilst not being overly loud and attracting unwanted attention.

Today was also my first encounter with laying flexible track. I decided to use Peco code 100 nickel silver rails and wooden sleepers but not having a proper tool to trim the rails to length I really didn't enjoy the task at all. A junior hacksaw is all but useless on the nickel silver rails so perhaps with a proper cutter my next encounter will be more pleasureable.

The viaduct is nearing completion although there are no new photographs of that today. It has been placed in its final location and partly secured. The main task is now to finish the track base on top of the viaduct and protect it from the rain should it ever get left exposed to the elements.

After a wet start to the day, as soon as conditions allowed I was out in the garden to complete track laying.

Prior to that, and whilst it was still raining, I decided to spend my time constructing a wooden tray in which I can keep a rake of 16t mineral wagons. I didn't fancy the idea of taking 30+ wagons out of their boxes only to have to replace them all again at the end of the session so having a few spare pieces of timber and plywood to hand I built a square frame and used the plywood to make a base. I can now keep almost 40 wagons in the one tray without having to worry about wagon boxes anymore so they can go up in the attic out of the way.

First job of the day was to complete the track laying. During my last session I was attempting to cut lengths of flexible track with a junior hacksaw which proved a hopeless task. On the recommendations of a couple of forum members I purchased a 'Dremel' mini drill and using a cutting disc attachment, track cutting is now a breeze and with no more sore finger tips! In no time at all both lines on the curve were completed, as was the whole of the viaduct. All the track bases built in this phase of the construction have now been laid with track.

IMG_3030.jpg

The image above shows WD 2-8-0 90630 operating on the Selby Garden Railway having just passed the prototype Deltic working on clearance testing with 3 x Mk1 coaches. The WD is hauling a rake of 34 x 16t mineral wagons and 2 x brake vans which posed absolutely no traction problems at all, even on my slightly undulating 'level' track base :oops:

As good as a decent spirit level is a long rake of wagons. As soon as the rake of mineral wagons was on track it was clear that my handiwork had not been entirely faultless and a degree of packing had to be carried out to enable a smooth transition from the curved track section onto the viaduct. However, I used this as an excuse to slightly super-elevate the curve which adds to the realism somewhat. 90630 is seen just running onto that 'lifted' section now which does appear more severe in the photograph than it actually is.

For the above photograph, the WD was topped up with smoke oil and with the added bonus of DCC sound this is one truly superb loco which I cannot resist giving a run at every opportunity. I had it running alongside the Hornby sound-fitted 'Duchess' and there really is no comparison. I hope that Hornby get it right for the forthcoming sound-fitted A4 and Black 5!

The Bachmann 'Deltic', obtained through the National Railway Museum, is another excellent loco in all respects. It too spent a great deal of time on track today. It is seen below 'hard at work' with 3 Mk1 coaches in tow being used to gauge clearances around the curve.

IMG_3034.jpg

I used to have a great passion for photography but just lately I have had very little enthusiasm for getting into the correct positions to capture more exciting images. As time allows I will dust off my tripod and see what sort of images I am able to get of trains working on the Selby Garden Railway.

IMG_3033.jpg

This one's more promising. I could get back into this.......

IMG_3030.jpg

Does that locomotive have a steam generator, or is it overheating?

Nice layout! I wish that i had the space in the garden :(

Andrew

Hi Andrew and welcome to Selby Garden Railway

Yes, the WD locomotive is fitted with a Seuthe smoke generator (and also a sound chip) and is one of my favourite loco's. I was lucky to find it on ebay at a very reasonable price.

I don't consider my garden to be all that large and I would imagine that most gardens could accommodate a garden railway of some sort. The problem I have found with a layout in the garden is that construction is much slower than with an indoor layout. You can't just nail a few pieces of 2x1 together with a plywood top and start laying track. It's taken me a few weeks so far just to get an 'L' shaped section completed with two running lines totalling just under 30 feet in length. I would add however, that when you see a loco pulling a rake of 30+ wagons round the garden, it is worth all the time and effort involved.

I began today with the best of intentions to get something done. I started by digging out footings for the retaining wall on the opposite side of the curved track section which, like the opposite side, will be raised to a few inches below track level to accommodate some plants. I want the plants to grow up and onto the track base in order to disguise the harsh edges and make it appear that the railway runs through the landscape. However, it wasn't long before temptation got the better of me and I spent the rest of the afternoon playing trains.

IMG_3039.jpg

The image above shows 2 x class 20 locos hauling a mixed selection of 4-wheeled tank wagons around the curve. To the right of the curve you can see where I have started digging the footings for the retaining wall. You can also see the composition of my garden soil which is heavy clay and extremely difficult to work. The soil on the left has been improved with copious additions of sharp sand, garden compost from my own compost bin and bagged peat from the local garden centre. At least now it is workable. This area is now badly in need of some plants.

IMG_3053.jpg

The above photograph is also taken on the curve just as the 2 class 20's are passing onto the viaduct. The shot is slighlty blurred because even though I had the camera sitting on a tripod I couldn't remember right away how to set the self timer so the blurred image is solely down to the shutter release. I like the image though and I used an aperture of f33 to give good depth of field with the trade off of a slow shutter speed, hence the need for the tripod and resulting blurring.

Apart from the stock shown above, I also gave a run out to two Hornby sound-fitted diesels, a class 56 and a class 60.

IMG_3059.jpg

The final photo shows the class 20's again but this time from the other side of the viaduct and heading back towards the curve. This shot shows the amount of work that is still to be done to this side of the viaduct whch has not yet been sanded down and retouched with Polyfilla. The edges of the arches have also to be filled and sanded smooth.

A glorious summer Sunday and once again the stock came out for more 'testing' (when will it ever end?) For a change I coupled up the standard DC controller and took out a selection of non-chipped loco's along with some ageing coaching stock consisting of LMS 57 footers and early Hornby Gresley teaks. All the coaching stock have plastic wheels and large ugly tension lock couplings.

A selection of Bachmann A4's got the day rolling with Sir Nigel Gresley in BR Blue, along with Guillemot and Quicksilver in BR Green. Gresley's A4 are a favourite loco of mine and in addition to the 3 Bachmann's mentioned I also have Hornby's Sir Charles Newton in LNER Black and Mallard in LNER Blue. After that I tried a Bachmann 9F, Heljan Warship and Heljan Falcon. Oh yes... and the Heljan class 17 which has yet to burn out!

Playtime over, I decided that it would be fun to try and film a cab ride over the present length of layout. I really enjoy 'cab ride' video's because they give a different perspective on a garden layout and of the garden itself. It's good to be able to look at your handiwork from the driving position.

I wondered if it was possible to film a ride behind a locomotive without going to any additional expense. Providing that the video camera is small enough to pass by any lineside obstructions then there's no reason why it shouldn't be. It would be easier using a flat wagon but I had a 16t mineral wagon to hand and the camera appeared to nestle on top nice and snugly. I pushed it around the track manually and was surprised to find that it was very stable and wobbled only slightly. In fact it would be even more stable if it were being pushed or towed around by a loco rather than having the 'hand of god' on top of it. I was satisfied that there was sufficient clearance along the line for the camera and as sure as I could be that the camera wouldn't topple off. To be safe I would be close by most of the time but to start with I would need to be some 20 feet away close to the controller.

I sat the camera on top of the 16 tonner and added another wagon ahead of it to give some necessary space in order to be able to capture part of the loco on film. When it was marshalled directly behind the tender there was no sight of the loco in the viewfinder. I decided to use the WD 2-8-0, filled it with smoke oil and switched on the sound. With everything ready I switched the camera to record and walked back to the controller. I set the loco moving at a slowish speed and hurried across ready to catch the camera should it become displaced. Everything went to plan and at no time did the camera look like coming adrift of the wagon. The only thing I hadn't forseen was that my dog Charlie would choose to get over excited at the sight of a loaded train heading his way! Notice how quickly he makes his way beneath the viaduct (under the girder bridge section) bumping his head in the process, before proceeding to tug at the bottom of my trousers! I did manage to stop the train before it went over the end of the viaduct.

As this was my one and only attempt I think it went very well and with better access to the controller during the actual filming in order to vary the speed and hence sound of the locomotive it would be even better. I will certainly be trying this again once I have a bit more track laid.

rR1El2K1I4o

I vowed that I would finish the first phase of construction before moving on and extending the layout, however, running a short distance back and forwards with a realistically long train isn't that much fun and so I have decided to make it a priority that I get a complete loop finished as quickly as possible. It would be nice to be able to complete that before the onset of colder weather and so today I began digging some footings at either end of the layout so that track bases can be constructed for the additional track.

At the viaduct end I am extending initially by just over 7 feet (the length of a standard size decking board) while at the other end of the layout I am bringing the track around a 7ft 6ins radius curve and through an almost 180 degree turn so that it can continue along the opposite side of the garden. The following photograph shows the 7ft 6ins, 180 degree curve during construction of the footings.

IMG_3078-800.jpg

The track to the right of the above photo runs down onto the viaduct. This new curve section will continue down the opposite side of the garden to the left of the photo and eventually run underneath the new section which is currently being constructed at the far end of the viaduct and which can be seen in the photograph below.

IMG_3083-700.jpg

The track from the new curve section will pass beneath the new extension depicted above in the vicinity of the lower block and continue onwards to the left of the photo where it will curve round and head back up onto the viaduct, forming a figure 8 loop. Once the footings have completely dried I will use breeze blocks and decking boards covered in roofing felt as before to construct the track bases.

IMG_3085-800.jpg

The photograph above shows the viaduct now that I have finally added the plate girder sides to the bridge section. Being constructed from parts of horticultural seed trays and plant baskets I assume that they will withstand the weather okay but that remains to be seen. In any case, as I have already said, the viaduct will be protected from the worst of the weather by a weatherproof tarpaulin so they should be sturdy enough. They aren't perfect by any means but there's not a lot to be gained by spending hours upon hours making things to exact scale and of prototypical construction for the outdoors. I think a garden railway should 'look right' rather than be absolutely correct and I'm happy with how the bridge looks. It has yet to be painted and that should blend it in nicely with the rest of the viaduct.

If there is one thing above all else which sets an outdoor layout apart from the typical indoor layout then in my opinion it has to be the potential for incorporating more realistic large radius curves. They are still miles away from being prototypical but the photograph below shows the 'phase 2' curve in course of construction. This one is to a radius of 7ft 6ins. The excess soil in the background will be used to form an embankment either side of the breeze blocks.

IMG_3092-800.jpg

The curve hasn't yet gone through 90 degrees and the frontal view doesn't quite show the extent of the spacious curve. The photo below, taken from the rear, shows it a bit clearer. You can just imagine a nice long rake of coal wagons ambling gently round there!

IMG_3093-800.jpg

I have also been working on the extension at the viaduct end and the picture below shows where I have got up to. I am hoping to disguise the trackbase sides by making it appear like an embankment. I will add a small retaining wall either side and slope the ground upwards with perhaps a few choice plants here and there.

IMG_3094-800.jpg

I should explain that the decking board on top of the blocks isn't a complete one. I took a 12 inch chunk off that one to use on another section of the layout. The block wall will be continued in a large curve of 270 degrees around the area to the right of where the 'clothes drier' is currently located, decreasing in height before passing back under itself (where the half block is laying on the ground) and then running along the edge of the garden to join up with the new curve shown in the first 2 photo's.

I have worked out today that I have so far completed 53 feet of track base with another 77 or so feet still to do. At approx 130 feet in total length, I think (and please correct me if I am wrong) that it equates to an approximate scale of 1.87 miles per complete circuit. Let me know if that sounds about right.

I hadn't noticed the weather forecast for today and so found myself trying to avoid the rain showers in an attempt to get something done - but I even managed to complete one job that I was going to put off until tomorrow. I have tried to show todays progress in stages so that my actual construction methods are clear. I know that there will be a number of people who are keen to see how a garden railway can be constructed but my methods might appear to be more than what is actually required. However, I'm happy and confident that constructed in this way my garden railway will give me good service.

I began the day where I left off on Thursday by laying the remaining breeze blocks round the large curve but got caught out by the rain as soon as I had started and had to shelter beneath the tree at the bottom of the garden while I continued laying the blocks, covering them with empty sand/ballast bags to protect them from the wet as I progressed. I had just mixed a whole batch of cement and wasn't sure how long the rain would last so I decided to stick at it. Fortunately, by the time I had completed laying the final block the rain had stopped and the sun was shining once again.

I then turned my attention to the extension next to the viaduct. The breeze block base had been laid on Thursday and I was satisfied that they were now sufficiently solid enough to withstand a hammering and so I began adding the decking board base, securing it with rawlplugs (hence the hammering).

IMG_3100-700.jpg

The photo above shows a cross-section of the track base which extends from the viaduct, this being my preferred method of construction. On top of the blocks I place a layer of roofing felt to act as a damp proof membrane and the decking board is affixed to the block by drilling directly through the board and into the blocks before inserting a rawlplug which is hammered in flush with the board. A final turn with a screwdriver competes the job. I then edge the board with 2x1 pressure treated battens before coating the whole lot liberally with bitumen. Once that's dry, I give it all another coat of bitumen, coat a piece of roofing felt also with bitumen, and when tacky, lay the felt onto the board, pressing down and securing at the edges with small clout nails. The first photo below shows the decking boards coated with bitumen and awaiting the addition of roofing felt. The second photo, taken from the opposite side, shows the boards covered with roofing felt and the remainder of the trackbase awaiting completion. The little dog is always close by and ready to lend a hand.

IMG_3103-800.jpg

IMG_3113-800.jpg

I then turned my attention to the large curve. The blocks that I had laid on Thursday were sufficiently dry and secure to allow the wooden tops to be added. Previously I had constructed a curve out of blocks and with a double skin plywood top but this time I decided to stick with the decking boards. This meant a trip to the DIY store and was the reason I was contemplating leaving this task until Sunday but when I returned I thought why not... and work began.

The decking boards required cutting at an angle to match the curve and I wasn't too sure of my ability to make a decent job of it but after the first section was laid it seemed to go okay.

IMG_3105-700.jpg

You can see in the photo above how each section of decking board is cut at an angle so that they follow the curve and match with the next section. Each section of board is secured with 2 rawlplugs. Once I had completed as far as I could go for today I began adding the edging battens, securing these to the boards with galvanised screws. Eventually all the battens were added and then the whole lot was coated in bitumen (as can be seen in the following 2 photos), just as the rain began falling again.

IMG_3109-800.jpg

IMG_3111-800.jpg

It's strange how some people seem to attract insects bites more than others and unfortunately I'm one of those who tends to suffer the most. Over recent days I have been under constant attack from the little blighters resulting in an endless number of bites to my legs, arms and ankles causing large swellings on the back of my hand, my right elbow, left thumb and even the top of my head. However, there's no gain without pain so they say......

Despite being under constant attack progress has been steady over recent days and with the purchase of a second 25yd box of Peco track my 'end to end' run capability has now been further extended. The whole of the large curve I have recently been constructing has been laid with track and late last night, just before darkness fell upon the garden, I managed to run a couple of trains over this extended section without any problems.

I took the following photographs of a class 60 and its rake of HEA & derivative wagons on the smaller curve close to the viaduct with the camera mounted on a tripod, large aperture and a shutter speed of 20 seconds. The finished images do not reveal just how dark it was at the time.

IMG_3119-800.jpg

The image above shows how the landscape is beginning to look now that a few plants have either been firmly planted or had their pots sunk into the ground while final positioning is determined. The image below is a close up of the class 60 with its headlights reflecting nicely off the rails.

IMG_3123-800.jpg

The area around the smaller curve, just ahead of the viaduct, has been tidied up with a retaining wall which I have rendered over with cement. The ground behind has been infilled and a couple of plants and an Acer shrub have been planted so far. I have several more plants awaiting planting once I have worked out where I want them to be.

IMG_3114-800.jpg

Today I will be concentrating on extending the track base from the large curve and providing I can finish before darkness falls again I will take some additional photos of progress with the track base.

If ever you wish to post anything regarding your layout then you're welcome to start a new forum thread and add whatever info you wish. If you wish to share some of your experiences then again, a new thread on the forum would be great so feel free to do so. I reckon it's going to be late in the year or perhaps early next year before I'm in a position to start running anything properly so perhaps when I'm at that stage I will have something worthy of getting together for.

Mick