Track plans and themes

traingeekboy

I've noticed a trend with many of the outdoor guys to build ovals; double ovals to be precise. My layout is going to be a double oval as well. I suppose it's so that we can watch two trains do laps.

I've been contemplating my upcoming track laying and considering the option of adding a few dead end sidings on the layout for added trackage.

I am also planning on having a railway station on the layout. Mine will be sort of Italian with terracotta tiles for a roof. But I am considering some sort of British station along the other edge.

I think outdoor layouts are especially suited to continuous running, hence the trend for complete circuits of track rather than end to end running. In my particular case, continuous running was a 'must have' and I was forced outdoors due to the lack of a suitable location within the home. If I had been content to have an end to end layout then it might have been possible to stay indoors. My visions were of a garden layout with scale length trains working realistic loads that I could control whilst just sitting about the garden or just allow to run continously while I was out there doing something else.

There's no reason why stations and sidings cannot form part of an outdoor layout and I will eventually incorporate a station into my layout once I feel I have done everything I need to in order to have the layout working as well as I had initially hoped for. That's something for me to look forward to.

Outdoor track plans are often much simpler than an equivalent indoor layout and I think that's down to the necessary routine maintenance required, especially with regards to pointwork. Installing pointwork requires extra work and care in order to protect the motors (when used) from the weather, and running the required wires/cables to the far corners of the garden isn't always as straight forward as running wires beneath a wooden baseboard top. There is also a lot more debris and dirt outdoors that can affect the smooth operation of points. It can be done successfully, as some of the layouts featured on this forum prove, so don't be deterred.

These days there's also a whole host of cast buildings and structures that can be used successfully outdoors, some perhaps needing just a bit of additional protection from the effects of frost and ice (at least for us in the UK) or the intense sun if you're located anywhere else.

I really don't think there are any limits with outdoor layouts - it's all down to the amount of work and ongoing maintenance you're prepared and able to do.

traingeekboy said:

I've noticed a trend with many of the outdoor guys to build ovals; double ovals to be precise. My layout is going to be a double oval as well. I suppose it's so that we can watch two trains do laps.

I've been contemplating my upcoming track laying and considering the option of adding a few dead end sidings on the layout for added trackage.

I'm also planning on having a railway station on the layout. Mine will be sort of Italian with terracotta tiles for a roof. But I am considering some sort of British station along the other edge.

I must admit that my own layout is tending towards a modified oval. The original plan was to have a figure of eight with one track running under the other but had to be abandoned due to the amount of slope on the plot. As Mick quite rightly said Hornby and Bachmann both have a range of cast resin station buildings and structures you might want to look at. I've managed to get hold of all of the Hornby "Skaledale East" range that used Midland structures from the Settle & Carlisle railway as their prototype. I'm not planning on leaving them out in all weathers though so I'll have to find a method of fixing them in place that will allow them to be easily removed and packed away for storage.

Part of my station layout will require a goods yard to be modelled and will obviously require points. For operational interest as well a scenic interest, I believe some points are a necessity, especially in the station area in the form of crossovers or passing loops. Although I have the points ready to be installed, the final layout has yet to be finalised... :roll:

Duncan

I'm with Mick on this - originally, I had intended just a twin track oval so I too could just sit and watch the trains going by or have them as company as I did other stuff in the garden. When I saw what potential my existing trackbed had in it though, I soon developed the track plan a bit further - a long loop in each line (for storage of another train or 2) and then the idea of a small loco shed area - again, for storing another short train or locos. However, this is only connected to the inner line as there is no physical connection between the 2 circuits. My fear of complex electricals prevented me going any further :)

HamptonFieldRailway said:

I'm with Mick on this - originally, I had intended just a twin track oval so I too could just sit and watch the trains going by or have them as company as I did other stuff in the garden. When I saw what potential my existing trackbed had in it though, I soon developed the track plan a bit further - a long loop in each line (for storage of another train or 2) and then the idea of a small loco shed area - again, for storing another short train or locos. However, this is only connected to the inner line as there is no physical connection between the 2 circuits. My fear of complex electricals prevented me going any further :)

I'm with you on that score. I've gone down the the DCC route with the NCE PowerCab for the vast majority of running, but still have several DC loco's that won't be easy to convert and therefore need to keep the option of DC running on the layout open. Keeping the two loops seperate with a simple isolator is one option, but the installation of points in crossover format will make this a bit more of a problem. I still want to install crossovers though, so I guess a little wiring investigation is required... :roll:

Duncan

Good to hear peoples responses. I have to add that maybe I'm putting my cart before the horse as I don't have any track down yet! (darned work getting in the way, although now I have some mad money for my trains he he he)

I think it may be a American train culture thing to have spurs for switching, oops... shunting freight into. I can't shake the need for a few little spurs where I can deliver goods cars.

I think it was on Andy's layout discussion that the issue of points being a hassle came up. Would love to hear more about problems to watch out for and solutions for them. I noticed for instance that on jules railway most of his points are in the shed and brambly was discontinued because of maintenance issues. So maybe this is something to consider, but I do want to be able to have trains change tracks when running too.

I've been eyeing my layout platforms, they do look very nice you know. I periodically place track on the platforms to measure how many tracks I could fit as well.

The added time where I couldn't lay track may have allowed me some time to ponder. One of the things I realized last night is that extra track is part of the scenery on a layout. adding an extra track here and there creates ambiance, especially if there are a few good cars or coaches sitting on the track. it lead me to rethink my track plan a bit. I guess I need to put some track down so you can see what I mean. Photos tend to describe better.

The end result is I am putting an extra area on my layout for shunting and will also add a engine shed there. It isn't so much about running the trains around on the tracks either. It's just a way to create a setting that my trains pass through.